3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stock air filter element replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock air filter element replaced

There are probably a few stubborn guys like myself that keep the stock air box and filter element. Well I was changing oil in my vehicles today and forgot to get an oil filter for the wifes durango so back to the auto parts store. I decided sense the guage was getting about half way through the yellow on the air box why not get a new filter. Man the truck had an instant up in seat of the pants. I don't think the stock one was everthis good. The stock had the extra stuff on the element where the purolater did not and it must have really been restrictive.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:06 PM

air cleaner advise

Can anyone add to this..I'd like a better air cleaner also but I am weary of getting one that flows alot of air but lets in the dirt. My truck is used for chasing hot air balloons, so I drive 900 miles to a balloon rally and then get in the dirt chasing the balloon. I dont want to switch filters at the rally. My Harley gained 6hp switching from stock paper filter to a K&N so I am currious what ya'll have to say about whats out there on the market.
Erik
Old 07-10-2006, 02:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are plenty of good aftermarket air intakes. I run the AFE Stage 2 and it sounds like a jet engine. Almost, TOO loud. You can definately hear the turbo spooling while backing out of the driveway.

I have my oil samples sent in from time to time to Blackstone Laboratories and my oil actually showed the AFE cleaning the air better than stock box. My ppm (parts per million) on the Silicon (dust, sand) in the oil was 4 with the AFE at 5000 miles on the oil. With the stock air box at 5000 miles on a prior sample to the AFE......it showed 8 ppm.

The AFE Stage 2 with Pro Guard 7 has seven stages of filtration to help keep out the dust. I also run a "prefilter" over that to filter it before it even gets to the filter.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 AM

Check out True Flow or Amsoil drop in filters. They are foam filters and are recommended for dirty conditions. My True Flow should be here today. I think it was $35-$40. I didnt want to change my whole intake system so decided on this route from all the great info I got off this forum.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM

I have the Amsoil EaA189 drop in. I can say nothing but good things about it.