3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stock or Aftermarket Tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock or Aftermarket Tranny???

my stock tranny is slipping sometimes with 34,500 miles on it. The question is should I get a stock tranny under warranty or get a aftermarket one? I have a superchip flashpaq now but it sucks and am about to buy a smarty and gauges. I like to get on it so I dont know if the stock will be alright with the smarty or not. How much is a good aftermarket tranny? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Is it slipping in O/D when you give it too much throttle around 60-70mph? If so its the T/C lockup clutch.

Depending what you will be doing, you could get a good valve body, input shaft, torqe converter, flex-plate, and input shaft. That seems to hold pretty well for a lot of people.

A stock rebuild will just start slipping again if you run it hard with the Smarty.. Everyone WANTS to believe they can control the urge to load it up on level 9, but truth is only about 5% of people seem to be able to do so.. Most people creep up to level 3, and then a week later are running it maxed out. I did.

You can get a full billet tranny from a good shop delivered to your door for less than 7k. That's all the shafts, completely rebuilt, with a deep tranny pan, and a good flexplate.

I'd call and talk to Goerend Brothers, or HTS. I have 2 HTS Trannys, and never had an issue, but Goerend gets a great rep on here too.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 AM

If you know you can, trash the tranny and get a new one under warranty. Then take the new stock tranny and get a valve body/tq converter in it. That will hold the power of just a smarty if thats all you want.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I'd get the stock tranny under warranty then get your T/C V/B and Input. That way you wont need to have new bands and clutches installed. If you get a Smarty you'll be buying a new tranny in the future regardless.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by OutOfSight
If you know you can, trash the tranny and get a new one under warranty. Then take the new stock tranny and get a valve body/tq converter in it. That will hold the power of just a smarty if thats all you want.
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I'd get the stock tranny under warranty then get your T/C V/B and Input. That way you wont need to have new bands and clutches installed. If you get a Smarty you'll be buying a new tranny in the future regardless.
agreed, spend $2k instead of $5k on the tranny.. billet input, converter, shift enhancer and valvebody will do wonders for your tranny.