3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stock 05 turbo vs Super B

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock 05 turbo vs Super B

I've heard some conflicting statements on wether or not it is worth it to upgrade to a Super B or just keep the stocker up to 350 horse. The 05 turbos are different but how much. All you Super B owners or turbo guys which turbo is worth spending $1350 on.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:52 PM

Surely someone can chime in on this one. This has my curiosity aroused also !!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:41 PM

Nobody knows huh!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:55 PM

im interested as well as my truck should be here in a week or so
Old 03-12-2005, 01:50 PM

Its sort of 6 of 1, half dozen of the other with the Super B vs. an 04.5-05 turbo in my opinion.

The diameter of the Super B's compressor wheel is 58mm vs. 62mm from the stock holset's.
The turbine (hot side) wheel along with housing is larger on the Super B.
The Holset turbine wheel and housing are smaller overall.

The Super B is probably a stouter turbo with the shaft being larger in diameter.

My opinion with an 04.5 or 05 the super B will probably out perform the stocker at higher speeds.

Is there going to be a big gain in overall horsepower? No. You will probably see lower EGT's with the Super B.
I dynoed 462hp/835ft lbs with the stock turbo (dynojet), 426/945ft lbs on a mustang stock turbo again.

I would look into a TAD B1 or an HT Turbo (htb2, killer b2, sledpuller 66 etc.)
Good luck, hope this helped.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by PourinDiesel
Its sort of 6 of 1, half dozen of the other with the Super B vs. an 04.5-05 turbo in my opinion.

The diameter of the Super B's compressor wheel is 58mm vs. 62mm from the stock holset's.
The turbine (hot side) wheel along with housing is larger on the Super B.
The Holset turbine wheel and housing are smaller overall.

The Super B is probably a stouter turbo with the shaft being larger in diameter.

My opinion with an 04.5 or 05 the super B will probably out perform the stocker at higher speeds.

Is there going to be a big gain in overall horsepower? No. You will probably see lower EGT's with the Super B.

i have an 03.
all of the above is true. the super b spools near stock. egts are a bit hotter on the low side as the hy35 is creating boost at idle and blows more boost for mild daily driving. the biggest difference is early mid to hi in the power range. i have an edge ez on 1 and tst on 1/1 and my truck is like a rocket ship now with the addition of the super b - i haven't tried anything higher because confidence in the trans low. i went with the super b because it is my stepping-stone to twins - all i have to do now is buy one more turbo and some piping -- after the trans gets rebuilt.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:48 PM

I am seriously looking at the super-B, Are there mileage gains because of the more free flowing housing?. Is it loud? Does it sound like a big turbo?I did not like the stock turbo without the silencer ring. too high pitched for long drives.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Banned

The super B whistles a bit as for 1350.00 for one you just have to know the right guy to call Find post on the super B everyone who has purchased one from me has been very happy with the performance and between BD and myself helping out with any tech support you will be taken care of
Old 03-23-2005, 01:04 AM

Hey Kyle, you know I am at the top of the list for a turbo, I drive my truck long distances and sometimes tow heavy, I just don't want a turbo that makes my ears bleed.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:17 AM

The turbo does have a sweet sound. My wife compared it to a trubine engine creeping up on RPM's. (not really as loud, but better sound if you love the turbo noise,) In my opinion it is a really great turbo for my on my 03. I can not speak for the newer truck turbos, but in a comparison side by side, I could see the difference. I can also see a difference at higher RPM's with spooling and EGT's. My stock turbo sounded like it was going to blow compared to the Super B. Plus for the money, the Super B is a great choice. Give Kyle Graham a call, he will deal with you.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:15 AM

i had my silencer out on my stock turbo also - the super b is not as high pitched as the stock turbo but does not sound like a big rig either. like kyle said, more turbine sounding - deeper rush of air sound. with the super b, you can noticably hear the air (boost) moving, and more of it. the turbine sound comes from the compressor wheel, not the exhaust - the exhaust still sounds a little vacuum cleanerish (i have a banks monster, so like a banks vacuum cleaner)
i seem to get EVEN better economy with the super b - the only test i've done is the "fuel gauge doesn't go down as fast" test.
i got my super b from kyle - he REALLY gave me the hook up - hence, he got my business

ron
Old 03-23-2005, 12:04 PM

Well this just confuses me even more. Now I've been told that on newer trucks (05's) that the HT 62-12 would be a better set up than the super b, informed that the super b could surge but the HT "chugs" both at lower rpm's. I just ordered the new Quad box so maybe that HT turbo would suit me better. I just wish these things didn't cost so much, but you can't beat 1350 for a good turbo. Anyone here have that HT 62-12 on a new 05
Old 03-24-2005, 10:07 AM

i haven't noticed any surging with the super b - i don't know where that came from. 1350 IS high. hintextremediesel.com)
i'm sure you will be very happy with your ht - these turbos are nearly the same animal.
i have a tst and edge stacked and i usually run around with both on the lowest setting - the responsiveness and entire powerband with the the new turbo are quite very impressive.
as far as sound goes, i would say the super b sounds closer to the stock turbo with the silencer ring out (but not the same) than it sounds to a big rig. i think the big rig sound will come with the addition to the second larger turbo when/if ever i get twins.
it is my belief that none of the other aftermarket turbos spool like the super b and i didn't want to give up spoolup, plus it gives me the option to grow into twins by retaining the super b.

good luck!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 PM

For the money a HTB2 64/14 is a good turbo.
Or you can just go with the TAD B1-2-04W, mine is great!!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:41 AM

For the price the Super B is a solid turbo. I had no surging with a single Super B, plus EGT's dropped about 100 degrees. Roberdog is right, you then can upgrade to twins, and thats an animal you WANT!!!

Quick Reply: Stock 05 turbo vs Super B