3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

starting my lift kit tomarrow, how the heck do you get off the pitman arm.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting my lift kit tomarrow, how the heck do you get off the pitman arm.

Im putting on the 5.5xfactor kit ( well already started, put the control arm brackets on today, **** things took me 4 hours ) along with a defiant steering shaft stabilizer, carli mini leafpacks and thuren extended shackles. Got the black diamo 17k 18x10s and dick cepek FCII 325/65r18.

Anyway i went to borrow a pitman arm puller and my freind gave me the thinest one he had and the thing wont slide in between the pitman arm and the steering box, id say theres only 1/8th maybe 3/16 of gap. How can you fit anything in there to get the arm off?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

you can try a ball joint fork... kinda looks like a Y
Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 AM

but wouldnt that try to pull the sectorshaft out at the same time possibly damging the steering box?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:18 AM

don't do that

you either need a differen't puller or if you can't find one that will work the easy way is to use die grinder and cut a line threw the side of the pitman arm with out going into the shaft coming out of the box. after that cut another line on the other side. then split with a chisle. tie rod or balljoint seperator will probablly end up breaking the edge of the box. mke sure the chisel is sharp and take your time, this works really well. just take your time. and don't use heat it is possible to burn the seal in the box.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 AM

i guess ill have to try the die grinder aproach.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 AM

This is the correct tool:http://www.autozone.com/in_our_store...pitman_arm.htm

You could rent one or like you aid, cut the old one off.

I surely would not use the pickle fork idea. Sure way to ruin a good steering box.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 AM

I used a basic pit arm puller, but just ground down the tip till I could get them in there. It still had plenty of strength to do the job though. Did not even bend it
Old 02-09-2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
This is the correct tool:http://www.autozone.com/in_our_store...pitman_arm.htm

You could rent one or like you aid, cut the old one off.

I surely would not use the pickle fork idea. Sure way to ruin a good steering box.
The "claws" are to thick to go inbetween pitman arm and steering box, maybe mines just up to far and im F'ed
Old 02-09-2008, 03:33 AM

pitman arm puleer my good man
Old 02-09-2008, 05:49 AM

Either a pitman arm puller, or if you have a torch, heat it up a little, give it a tap, it'll fall right off.. you don't have to get it red hot.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by VisionxOrb
The "claws" are to thick to go inbetween pitman arm and steering box, maybe mines just up to far and im F'ed
I used the same pitman arm puller that was posted in the link, but I had to grind the claws down a bit to get it in between. Worked pretty good.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by chopper9451
I used a basic pit arm puller, but just ground down the tip till I could get them in there. It still had plenty of strength to do the job though. Did not even bend it
That you Justin? Checkin' out this thread and saw Molalla in your sig. Joy told me you were fabbing up a lift. Guess you got that handled
Later, Roy

Off topic sorry fella's
Old 02-09-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gator6
you either need a differen't puller or if you can't find one that will work the easy way is to use die grinder and cut a line threw the side of the pitman arm with out going into the shaft coming out of the box. after that cut another line on the other side. then split with a chisle. tie rod or balljoint seperator will probablly end up breaking the edge of the box. mke sure the chisel is sharp and take your time, this works really well. just take your time. and don't use heat it is possible to burn the seal in the box.
That is what I usally do when they give me trouble. Even if you only cut it 3/4 of the way through. A chisel will crack the rest of it with a few good hits and then it should pop off. Stay away from the torches on this one for sure!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM

Dont use a ball joint tool, it will just mar up the box and shaft.

Use a pitman arm puller, I dont remember the PN but I got it from Napa and it worked on the first try(Hit it with an impact and it came right off)

Only problem is you have to work it down a tad first before the puller fits in between the arm/box, or you could grind it down some I suppose...
Old 02-09-2008, 02:33 PM

We used the same puller from autozone as the link. Took a grinder and made the opening a little wider to fit around the shaft on our trucks. Works great. Tac

Quick Reply: starting my lift kit tomarrow, how the heck do you get off the pitman arm.