3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

StageIII CP3+Nitrous, & Turbo tuning Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StageIII CP3+Nitrous, & Turbo tuning Questions.

Got some serious questions. In just a few weeks, Uncle Sam will be giving back a good chunk of what I lent him this past year. Allready getting injectors, cause one is about shot. I'm seriously thinking about making the next leap performance wise. Just a few questions though.

I'm trying to figure on how far I can go with the current turbo. I do have a nitrous kit (simple -4AN line run to a jet holder post turbo/pre IC), which I know is pretty much turbo in a bottle. But is there a limit to how much NO2 you can use to offset lack of volume from a turbo? With a "Hot" upgrade on the Juice plus a custom tune with the Diablo, what is realistic power wise with the right nitrous setup?

The numbers in my sig came with fuel only, reg Juice and standard extreme stacker program in the Diablo. Last time on the dyno, never could get consistent #'s on the funny gas cause lack of extra fuel. Went 580+hp one time then would drop to 500 next. This, with a .051 jet in the line. Backed off to .046 and consistently went just +25hp.

Any and all info is appreciated. Please don't suggest buying twins/bigger turbos, new boxes, or downoaders. I'm sticking with what I have as I know it's a proven set-up. Just want to see what's possible with what I allready have.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 PM

as long as you have smoke left over and good psi in the rail,ie not smoke because of extreme low rail psi you can keep adding stages of nos and keep adding hp.with a modded cp3 and proper jetting and say some 90hp sticks i see no reason 650 coldnt be reached with ease and perhaps 750.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by king d
as long as you have smoke left over and good psi in the rail,ie not smoke because of extreme low rail psi you can keep adding stages of nos and keep adding hp with a modded cp3 and proper jetting and say some 90hp sticks i see no reason 650 couldn't be reached with ease and perhaps 750.

I'm not looking to make "X-amount" of power, cause it's easy to get disappointed. But that would be good. 6-650 or so on fuel only, 750-800 on the gas, if not I guess I'll take what I can get. One more thing I'm sure I'll need is the big line kit between filter housing and CP3. Oh, and head studs of course (yeah, still don't have those yet)
Old 12-24-2007, 01:31 AM

Ive seen 62's put down 630hp
Old 12-24-2007, 01:52 AM

Im perdy sure Kevin (aka Morkable) put down 640hp with hot juice, diablosport, 50hp injectors and a stage 4 dr performance with silver bullit. on a stage 2 cp3 or a stock cp3 cant remeber but im sure he will chime in.

Nick.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:21 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Little03
Im perdy sure Kevin (aka Morkable) put down 640hp with hot juice, diablosport, 50hp injectors and a stage 4 dr performance with silver bullit. on a stage 2 cp3 or a stock cp3 cant remeber but im sure he will chime in.

Nick.

Yeah! Funny you mention him. I didn't think and forgot about ol' Mork. Last year, he asked me for advice and info on my setup. Looks like I got the ball rolling for him, then just went wild after that
Old 12-24-2007, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Yeah! Funny you mention him. I didn't think and forgot about ol' Mork. Last year, he asked me for advice and info on my setup. Looks like I got the ball rolling for him, then just went wild after that

Lol yep a 1000hp with a diablo and a fair shar of No2

Nick
Old 12-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Chapter President

I guess I need to get ahold of someone who runs nitrous and is very familiar with how to tune it. Mork has been running a Silver Bullet 66 and has headwork done, so his setup isn't quite relative to mine. So now I'm wondering what the most hp is reliably possible on a Phat Shaft 62/80/14 turbo on fuel only, then have a "nitrous tune" for the track.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:53 AM

Here is some thoughts for you. I did some testing with and without nitrous, with the hot edge, hot edge and dr performance, hot edge and diablo, and hot edge, diablo, and dr p. I have now ruled out the edge alltogether. Which made me very sad, I allways found the edge to be a very nice unit, it just wont pull the power that I am looking for.

As for headwork, my head is as stock as the day it came off the factory floor, just as mentioned I have a silverbullet.

As for tuning nitrous,, as was explained to me by a very knowledgable fellow who consults to Nitrous Express,,,, keep adding nitrous til the engine quits,, back off a bit, restart the engine, you now have enough nitrous. I havent gotten there yet, I am only running 4an lines too.

If I were you, knowing what I know now, I would sell the edge, purchase a dr performance stage 4, get a 50hp solenoid rigged on a WOT switch, plumbed in where you have yours right now. If you want more,, go to another bottle with a bigger solenoid either rigged up with a button, or a hobbs switch after the IC.

Your turbo, with say 90 hp injectors, and a cp3 upgrade, will easily handle into the mid 6's

Kevin
Old 12-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Going to a upgraded cp3 and injectors will get you close to 600 with your turbo but it may be a bit toasty without the nitrous. You could have your turbo upgraded and still have good spool up for the street. My 66 spools fine on the street with my tune and keeps things cool at 600 hp. Nitrous will take some trial and eror to get it dialed in. You want to watch your boost running nitrous and don't over spin your turbo. The waste gate won't handle too much. 650-700 hp if the turbo can handle it.
I don't run nitrous on my truck but have friends that do and they usually didn't have problems until they kept going for more and more hp. The limit was found.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsmoker
I guess I need to get ahold of someone who runs nitrous and is very familiar with how to tune it. Mork has been running a Silver Bullet 66 and has headwork done, so his setup isn't quite relative to mine. So now I'm wondering what the most hp is reliably possible on a Phat Shaft 62/80/14 turbo on fuel only, then have a "nitrous tune" for the track.
try getting a hold of lmills he is in the 1200 plus hp with spray
Old 12-25-2007, 12:50 PM

I know you said don't suggest anything on boxes but I would ditch the Diablo and get the new smarty. Omaharam
had the Diablo and we tried the smarty and the first dyno run blew away the Diablo!! A Stage 2 CP3 with your current set up would get you where you want.

John
Old 12-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by morkable
Here is some thoughts for you. I did some testing with and without nitrous, with the hot edge, hot edge and dr performance, hot edge and diablo, and hot edge, diablo, and dr p. I have now ruled out the edge alltogether. Which made me very sad, I allways found the edge to be a very nice unit, it just wont pull the power that I am looking for.

As for headwork, my head is as stock as the day it came off the factory floor, just as mentioned I have a silverbullet.

As for tuning nitrous,, as was explained to me by a very knowledgable fellow who consults to Nitrous Express,,,, keep adding nitrous til the engine quits,, back off a bit, restart the engine, you now have enough nitrous. I havent gotten there yet, I am only running 4an lines too.

If I were you, knowing what I know now, I would sell the edge, purchase a dr performance stage 4, get a 50hp solenoid rigged on a WOT switch, plumbed in where you have yours right now. If you want more,, go to another bottle with a bigger solenoid either rigged up with a button, or a hobbs switch after the IC.

Your turbo, with say 90 hp injectors, and a cp3 upgrade, will easily handle into the mid 6's

Kevin
Originally Posted by Floor It
I know you said don't suggest anything on boxes but I would ditch the Diablo and get the new smarty. Omaharam
had the Diablo and we tried the smarty and the first dyno run blew away the Diablo!! A Stage 2 CP3 with your current set up would get you where you want.

John

thnks for the advice guys. As to Morkable. Yeh I know the "Hot" Edge/Diablo stack isn't the highest tune. But to get rid of the Edge would leave me in the hole to buy manual gages along with a new box. Which leads to to question............can I run these in a triple stack and keep the Edge for gauging purposes running on lev.0?

John, I respect any and all advice you give here simply cause you are one of the best heads around and don't dole out advice on every post. But the diablo has for some reason proven time and again to be a better programmer on the '03-'04 CDT than on the later "600"series trucks. Mork above (if he's not lying) ran over 1000hp on nitrous with just the Diablo alone. So I think I'll stick with it. When I get the CP3 ready for an upgrade you can bet you'll be the one I send it to.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:29 PM

You know talk is cheap. It's like an old man told me' 'lay the hundred's down till it's hurts'. I'm running a stage 3 CPS and alot of NOS and I hope I'll run in the 10's
Old 12-25-2007, 08:38 PM

And I will say that IMILLS proves everything he posts. LOL

Quick Reply: StageIII CP3+Nitrous, & Turbo tuning Questions.