3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stacking Smarty with XZT...who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TORQUE BEAST
What's the sense in stacking just for the sake of stacking. If you can't use one box or programmer to near it's full potential because of the stock trans/clutch, why bother stacking???

The only reason I'm considering stacking is to have some adjustability on the fly using my commander. Don't have to turn everything on full blown--thinking of setting smarty on low even # and use the quad to be able to adjust for different power levels (keep it low until I need it) which will give you the best of both worlds IMO. Your speedo is adjusted and you have high idle plus on the fly adj. but I do agree with you to a point because most people who stack just want the most power they can get and in that case you definitely need a tranny. I just want to clear up a little more smoke and have adjustability for in town driving.
Yeah, that makes sense in your case. If adjustability is a big concern I would just go with something like the Quad, but I know what you mean about the high idle and tire size adjustments. Those are nice things to have.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:28 PM

Did someone say they had a problem with boost fooling when stacking a XZT and Smarty about a month ago?????
Old 06-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Some of us are starting with a lower hp version (235 cali, 48re) and can therefore utilize more power offered by after market products.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tcr
Hopefully I'm bangin' gears w/ my built HTS by this time next week.
Good to hear that

XZT and Smarty stackers beware.....

The Smarty ramps up pressure differently from stock. Smarty on 7 with a pressure only XZT hit the relief valve pretty quick. Thank the Lord for rail gauges!!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

with a smarty that does boost fooling and a quad box(which also fools) you may get too much fuel for the waste gate to regulate it fast enough, and therefore may get a boost level higher than you want. i have my gate set at 47, and with the wild program, and quad turned up, i can exceed 50 really quickly, but she settles back down to high 40's is a second or to.
stock turbo will quickly disassemble itself in those conditions.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by shortbed rv
Hi Sixpack

Is your XZT pressure only? Have you tried adjusting the XZT with your Commander and how did that work?

Lary ordered a Smarty and an XZT for Harleyhauler. Harley said he liked the power but this is his first performance mod and he is still playing. If Lary ordered this combo then they probably do work together.

Of course I am considering the samething in the future that is to add the Smarty to my XZT.
Larry did assist me with the purchase and we talked through the stacking aspect before I committed. I run the Smarty #3 (currently) with the XZT and so far I have had no power issues, and little smoke (unless under hard acceleration). I am still running the the stock trans, but I don't pound it either. I am going to try the #5 setting and see how it differs now that I have all my gauges in.

As for why stack without going all out, I think that there is a big difference in power and economy. With the Smarty only, I had power but realized little in MPG difference. With the XZT stacked, I bumped the hwy economy by over 5 MPG !

I would recommend it, and if you have questions, call Larry - - he was a tremendous help.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My whole reason for stacking begain when I had my Triple Dog. As many people know, the Bully Dog doesnt have the best low end power unless you turn the low-end option on or if you run Crazy Larrry. Well, the low-end option was too much and was kind of a pain to drive....Crazy Larry is just that...Crazy Larry!

I had an Edge EZ laying around and after talking with a few members...I decided to try stacking it with the Triple Dog. I was happy to realize that it really enhanced the bottom end power without being too over the top like how I felt the low-end option was...plus I could just leave the Triple Dog on Tow/Economy and use the EZ to adjust on the fly if I wanted some more power.

I did the same with the XZT...plus I wanted to try something different. After some trading with ol' Phil Baxter, I got the XZT and it was even better. The low-end power was awesome, helped over-all drive-ability, and I even picked up a lil' mileage with it. Again, I ran the Triple Dog on Tow/Economy or Performance....along with driving with a conservative right foot.

Now I have no experience with the Smarty...so I'm going to un-plug the XZT and run the Smarty by itself. If it gives the power how I want it....then great! I'll throw the XZT on and try it....if I feel like I have all I want with the Smarty then I'll probably leave the XZT off.

Anyways...my reason for stacking was basically to enhance the low-end power a bit which along the way improved drive-ability, overall power, and even picked up mileage. It wasnt to try and get all the power I could so I could do 30 PSI boosted WOT runs everyday and keep everything on the highest setting....thats completely senseless because the tranny wont put it to the ground or hold up to it for any period of time...

My 2 cents!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRacer44
After some trading with ol' Phil Baxter, I got the XZT and it was even better. The low-end power was awesome, helped over-all drive-ability, and I even picked up a lil' mileage with it.
I hate it when I'm right
Old 06-29-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 973604x4
I hate it when I'm right
Yeah yeah...so what

You're alright Phil...even with a broke truck and all...you're alright

HAHA! Just kiddin' good buddy....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HarleyHauler
With the XZT stacked, I bumped the hwy economy by over 5 MPG !
I'm sure of it!!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Harley,

Your XZT also fools your overhead mpg. Try figuring mpg by hand.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We haven't observed much difference between SW#8 & SW#9 with the Quad Race switched to any level (of course as long as it's connected it will allow the boost to exceed 45 psi), and the EGTs don't get quite so high when the higher SW#s are loaded underneath the Quad as opposed to pressure alone.

The stock clutch is holding everything the Smarty & Quad together can generate, although I have curtailed the no-lift power shifting.

I experienced the Smarty-induced zero throttle fueling today - good thing it was only 1st gear and I got on the brakes quickly enough... interesting, to say the least! Didn't seem to be normal RP bleed-down delay, or it would do it more often.

As far as fuel delivery, all of the aftermarket fueling on the '05 doesn't draw the LP pressure below 3.5psi, and WOT doesn't drop RP below the sending units max reading capability (27.5K psi) - at least not 1/4 mile at a time!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
...and WOT doesn't drop RP below the sending units max reading capability (27.5K psi) - at least not 1/4 mile at a time!
So you're holding steady at 27.5k at WOT?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, I'm saying we don't see the RP drop from where the downloader and box raise it to during short (1/4 mile) bursts - surely sustained WOT would be different!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by shortbed rv
Harley,

Your XZT also fools your overhead mpg. Try figuring mpg by hand.
I did not know that - - I will check it at the next refueling... Hopefully the bubble won't be totally busted!

Quick Reply: Stacking Smarty with XZT...who's done it?