3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stacking Smarty with XZT...who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stacking Smarty with XZT...who's done it?

Well, after much consideration and LOTS of reading about the Smarty...I sold the Bully Dog this week and I'm ordering a Smarty come friday after I get paid...

I have a XZT (stack version) that I've been playing with for stacking purposes and I was just wondering who's stacked the XZT with their Smarty? Good smooth power? Lots of smoke? Anything?

Look forward to some good info like what I got on my "Bully Dog to Smarty..." post from last week....

Thanks again guys!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would look into upgrading the tranny before you think about stacking.

The Smarty alone will toast a stock tranny on the higher settings.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 AM

I wish I could! Honestly though, I drive with a very conservative right foot and dont run my programmers on the higher settings for daily driving. I've been running some sort of stack for almost 20k miles and the truck has been modded for almost 40k miles without any issues except a lift pump failure...

I know its probably coming soon (tranny issues) but I'm knocking on wood and crossing my fingers that my light right foot will keep me safe
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 AM

Hi Red, just noticed I'm just down the road a bit from you!

Anyway, I started with the XZT also, and picked up a smarty about 4-6 months ago. At first I usually kept the smarty on the lower levels (usually level 3 or 5) but always kept the xzt on too (stacked). The smarty would smoke like a coal train on the higher levels, but when setup like this, it seemed to work pretty well I suppose. Great bottom end response and only smoked when I wanted it too.

However, now that I've had a chance to run the new 4.4 beta software in the smarty, I rarely use the XZT at all since it doesn't seem to make much difference anymore (seat of the pants at least). This version runs REALLY good, and pulls strong from bottom to top!

The only thing I miss about running the smarty only is the on-the-fly adjustability. I've kinda been tossing around the idea of getting the new van Aaken C5 or swapping my XZT for a quad race, just so I can run it low for daily driving and towing, then turn it up when its time to play (without having to constantly reflash the truck). I wont be getting rid of the smarty though, the truck runs really good with it. I'll probably just pick up a bigger turbo though before I go playing with more boxes, at least that would be the smarter thing to do. All that fuel wont do much good without some more air

Hope that helps some, but feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:08 PM

Hi Sixpack

Is your XZT pressure only? Have you tried adjusting the XZT with your Commander and how did that work?

Lary ordered a Smarty and an XZT for Harleyhauler. Harley said he liked the power but this is his first performance mod and he is still playing. If Lary ordered this combo then they probably do work together.

Of course I am considering the samething in the future that is to add the Smarty to my XZT.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM

no mine is the regular XZT, no special tunes on it. It does work with the smarty, its just less noticeable with the beta version of the smarty software. And yes, I use mine with the commander, I believe it adjusts in 0, 20,40, and 60hp increments.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We've been running the Smarty underneath the Quad Race for a few weeks now... they work well together as long as you load the even SW#s to avoid excessive timing.

The Quad produces relatively smoke-free, refined power... while the Smarty makes you feel as though you're chained down to a ravenous smoky beast.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:19 AM

Awesome...thanks XLR8R! I have the stack version of the XZT so I should be able to run the odd number levels I hope...cant wait to get my hands on the Smarty! Ordering today!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:22 AM
tcr

You think your being all nice and easy on your tranny until one day you give it some gas and your tach jumps to the red line in each gear, but you don't go! That's W/ TC and VB. Hopefully I'm bangin' gears w/ my built HTS by this time next week.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if there's a difference in power produced between the even SW#s with a normal Quad Race and the odd SW#s with the stacking version of Quad's box?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:56 AM

I know ive seen numerous people on here that still run the stock tranny or clutch and have multiple boxes stacked and even different turbos and so forth and it always made me wonder why. I understand that you want to have all you can get but I think if you had a tranny or clutch you could use the boxes you have to their full potential and therefore would be able to get the use out of a stack. Im not pickin on anybody but everybody will tell you that 100 extra hp is all you can use with the stock clutch or tranny and even that can be to much in the wrong hands.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I wonder if there's a difference in power produced between the even SW#s with a normal Quad Race and the odd SW#s with the stacking version of Quad's box?
I've been wondering this as well, since I have a standard tune XZT sitting here. Please let us know if you do any testing!

Originally Posted by tristan21
I know ive seen numerous people on here that still run the stock tranny or clutch and have multiple boxes stacked and even different turbos and so forth and it always made me wonder why. I understand that you want to have all you can get but I think if you had a tranny or clutch you could use the boxes you have to their full potential and therefore would be able to get the use out of a stack. Im not pickin on anybody but everybody will tell you that 100 extra hp is all you can use with the stock clutch or tranny and even that can be to much in the wrong hands.
Good post!

I agree. What's the sense in stacking just for the sake of stacking. If you can't use one box or programmer to near it's full potential because of the stock trans/clutch, why bother stacking???

I know it sounds cool but.....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I dont know how much you have played with your smarty settings but sw8 is alot differnt that sw9 on my truck. I would think what little bit you would loose by going to the stacking version you would gain on the smarty's higher setting. Thats just been my experience.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

one of the reasons that you may not notice a difference when running the quad with the beta is your cp3 may not be able to supply all the f/p needed to keep the rail where it is commanded. i noticed(sotp) a difference once i modded the cp3. i have alittle more fuel now. before the mod, i would hit 47psi(boost) then as i stayed in the peddle or dynoing, the boost would begin to fall off and the smoke would actually mostly clear. with the modded pump, the boost stays steady against the wastegate, and the smoke stays dark grey until i lift. I gotta get a rail gauge to confirm.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM

What's the sense in stacking just for the sake of stacking. If you can't use one box or programmer to near it's full potential because of the stock trans/clutch, why bother stacking???

The only reason I'm considering stacking is to have some adjustability on the fly using my commander. Don't have to turn everything on full blown--thinking of setting smarty on low even # and use the quad to be able to adjust for different power levels (keep it low until I need it) which will give you the best of both worlds IMO. Your speedo is adjusted and you have high idle plus on the fly adj. but I do agree with you to a point because most people who stack just want the most power they can get and in that case you definitely need a tranny. I just want to clear up a little more smoke and have adjustability for in town driving.

Quick Reply: Stacking Smarty with XZT...who's done it?