3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

stacking ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool stacking ?

i just wondering how it works i noticed alot of people on here are running mp-8's and smarty's.I have a smarty and was looking at getting an mp-8 so my question is if you have ur smarty on say 60hp and have your mp-8 on 100hp will that give your truck 160hp or what are the benefits to having both and are there downfalls or things i should know about or have before stacking

thanks

06 4x4 30,000mi
4in mbpr,smarty,ats horn,afe stage 2,pricol boost trans temp egt,magtec deep tran pan

wish list: converter,vb,flexplate,turbos,injectors,fuel pump,
long list but only had the truck 2 months
Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mmmm... That's a good one. I have not had a chance to dyno them like that.

I will tell you, the MP-8 really adds to the smarty. I love it. For the price of them, you can't go wrong...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:43 PM

I'll be waiting for replies here, been thinking about stacking the MP-8 with my triple dog...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Do it. It is an adjustable pressure box that is a **** that turns. It adjusts instantly, and complements any box as far as I know.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM

Madhat what is the advantage to having the MP-8 with the smarty?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MP8 is not a rated box really, it is more dependant on mods on the truck, as said it is adjustable. The Smarty already brings a pretty responsive powerband to the table, the Mp-8 just modifies the pressure ramp from takeoff to wot, so gains can be from 10hp to 100hp (possibly more). Downfalls are it is a presure box, and extended high pressure ramp-ups and towing with it set high can be fatal to your injectors after some time, and if you have warranty it isn't invisible til you uninstall it. It also creates more smoke when turned up. But it is a great stack, IMO the best compliment to a Smarty, and as said it adds its own power so in a small way your power at tap is adjustable, or should I say the response. I love the Mp-8
Old 12-14-2008, 12:47 AM

now you said the mp8 plays with the presure if you get the revo smarty would you still us it or just play with the preasures on the smarty sense they're adjustable.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 AM

I would still get the Mp-8, it is a little more aggressve than the revo on pressure, so it will give some extra kick. But it will also give you some higher egts that you'll have to keep an eye on.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:07 AM

so in that case what would you do play with all your other settings like the catcher power level and torque management and leave the RP at stock and use the MP-8 for that alittle confused
Old 12-14-2008, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by 06dodgedrw
so in that case what would you do play with all your other settings like the catcher power level and torque management and leave the RP at stock and use the MP-8 for that alittle confused
You can put the RP wherever you want on the Smarty and then use the Mp-8 to adjust it for more response. But like I said its use will justify itself the more mods you add.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:56 AM

ok i think i under stand now im trying to get more response out of my truck because right now i have a bdtd and i think the response is terrible until you hit that throttle real hard about 3/4 throttle or more and id like to have more down bottem and cant figure out if i should just run the smarty or stack it with the mp8 its a daily driver to so i dont want to damage any thing real quick sense its my only set of wheels. plus reading all this info on set ups with programs im getting a little over wellmed with what to do and what set up to do i want to put in injectors and a turbo but that wont be for a while but want a set up that i can run when i get that done also
Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 AM

So a rail pressure gauge would be a good idea?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:16 AM

Oh yes, its a must. Many ppl buy the Mp8 to tailor their pressure levels with the Smarty, opens up any program you use, so the gauge is a must to monitor things, and to get a personal knowledge of your trucks reaction to the mods you put on it.

06dodgedrw, you are mostly stock, you might want to look at doing a turbo and fuel system first before doing a stack, the BDTD is probably all your truck can handle right now safely. I love my smarty, but I don't want to make anyone sore so I'm not gonna cheerlead for it. There are plenty of happy Bully owners out there that would like this stack too. But I'm not sure how a MP8 would act with a BDTD, mainly because the Bullydog isn't as diverse with its levels, it'd be harder to find a sweet spot IMO.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:08 AM

i wouldnt be cranking right off the bat i was just trying to get a little bit more knowledge on it for the spring i am putting a ad150 and rp and fp gauges in all at once this winter. i just dont like the way the bulldog puts on its power to me there really isnt much added power until you foots real deep into the throttle and i have liked the responses on the smarty and how it acts down low where i feel the bully is lacking. from what i can find it sounds like the smarty is what im looking i just want to make sure it is.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
Madhat what is the advantage to having the MP-8 with the smarty?
Say I have the smarty on a certain SW... say 9, but I can't run wide open RP because my truck surges really bad when I am just cruising around town. So, I put the RP on 2, and if I need 2-3k more psi, I can jam on the MP-8 and have it.

On the track, with the MP-8 off, I saw my RP dip, to about 22k, and with it turned up, I did not see below 26k at WOT.

Quick Reply: stacking ?