3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

srt 10 hood???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry bout that... I forgot to the link....Ram Air Hoods

This place has a lot of other hoods but, this SRT is the only metal hood with a scoop.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 AM

tritont,

I found DC part # 5029419AE listed as the srt10 hood on a TDR article by Joe D. Do you know the differences?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
tritont,

As mentioned where can I get a hood for the price you quoted. Also I got found DC part # 5029419AE listed as the srt10 hood on a TDR article by Joe D. Do you know the differences?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure the part number i posted is the correct number. I got it from a Mopar Performance dealers site. It also look more like a mopar number than the one you posted. The one you posted could be for a specific model truck with the OEM color painted on it.

The number I posted is for a unpainted plain Jane SRT hood from the dealer.

This place is a Mopar dealer..... SRT 10 Hood

if you wanted to just have it shipped and installed in :30 minutes.... Ram Air hood

Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Okay, probably a silly question but....

On these Ram Air Hoods, what happens when it's raining outside? What do they do to get rid of the water that they're going to pull in?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 AM

I bought mine from a place in Ft Myers FL. APM Automotive.
239-731-3838 these are D&C Hoods it is stamped on them.
If you can find someone else that needs one, this was the
best deal. By buying two and having shipped to upstate NY
I payed less then I could have bought from dealer. I called
them with my paint code, three weeks later at my door.
I made a plastic insert, I put it in when it rains or go threw
car wash,I leave it in all winter.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GalenEdgewood

On these Ram Air Hoods, what happens when it's raining outside? What do they do to get rid of the water that they're going to pull in?
believe it or not, barely any water gets in. You'd think it would flood the engine but it doesn't. Your valve cover gets a little dirty but, that's about it.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM

water vs Ram Air

Originally Posted by GalenEdgewood

Great question. You have to be a bit careful when shopping for ram air hoods or heat extractor hoods. Some of the really cheap hoods do not pay any attention to where the water will go while driving or sitting outside. I received a call yesterday(01-02-2008) about a Superduty that was filling the air filter box with water and wanted to know if our hood was going to do the same. (It doesn't.)

All Suncoast hoods include built in water management. This is made up, primarily, internal baffles and drain holes placed in safe locations so water leaving the hood is not dropping into something electronic or non water tight. I've driven my Ram 3500 with both the Suncoast Viper hood and Extractor hood in major Florida down pours at 70+ mph while cars were pulling off the road because they couldn't see. GM ran our three GM licensed hoods through their water management tests where the truck must run for 45 minutes with 5 of those high pressure car wash arms spraying water at the front of the truck. We did fine.

I would recommmend you stick with the more reputable hood manufacturers to be safe and look for concrete evidence of water management. Its always good to ask before you buy.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM

I had a Suncoast Ram Air hood on my 95 TransAm and I never had any water related problems with it. It was a very nice hood. Unfortunately the kid that bought it from me cranked and cranked down on the bolts when he put it on his car and he cracked the hood at each location where the bolts were......
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuncoastPrez
Great question. You have to be a bit careful when shopping for ram air hoods or heat extractor hoods. Some of the really cheap hoods do not pay any attention to where the water will go while driving or sitting outside. I received a call yesterday(01-02-2008) about a Superduty that was filling the air filter box with water and wanted to know if our hood was going to do the same. (It doesn't.)

All Suncoast hoods include built in water management. This is made up, primarily, internal baffles and drain holes placed in safe locations so water leaving the hood is not dropping into something electronic or non water tight. I've driven my Ram 3500 with both the Suncoast Viper hood and Extractor hood in major Florida down pours at 70+ mph while cars were pulling off the road because they couldn't see. GM ran our three GM licensed hoods through their water management tests where the truck must run for 45 minutes with 5 of those high pressure car wash arms spraying water at the front of the truck. We did fine.

I would recommmend you stick with the more reputable hood manufacturers to be safe and look for concrete evidence of water management. Its always good to ask before you buy.
In our trucks, you don't have to worry about water entering the filter since the filter is far away from the cowl. The SRT hood isn't a cheap hood and there is no " factory " device to reroute the water any where. For the SRT it is a working intake but, to put one on a Cummins, there's no room for duct work.

I've had mine on for close to a yr and have yet to see any problem with water entry. Water barely gets in, even in a 70mph driving down pour. The valve cover gets a little dirtier is all.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 AM

There is a hood out there that does have a ram air system for the CTD. I, for one, don't see what good it does other than looking different when you pop the hood......
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Water vs Ram Air 2

Originally Posted by tritont
In our trucks, you don't have to worry about water entering the filter since the filter is far away from the cowl. The SRT hood isn't a cheap hood and there is no " factory " device to reroute the water any where. For the SRT it is a working intake but, to put one on a Cummins, there's no room for duct work.

I've had mine on for close to a yr and have yet to see any problem with water entry. Water barely gets in, even in a 70mph driving down pour. The valve cover gets a little dirtier is all.
Sorry, I was limiting my thoughts and comment to the functional ram air systems out there. The risk with the ram air duct work is that it channels the water in addition to the air directly into your air intake. The SRT is a fine looking hood and definitely not a cheap hood, it just isn't a functional ram air system so any water entering the scoop just blows around in the engine compartment with all the rest of the water coming in through the grill, below the engine, from the wheel wells, etc.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 AM

I kick my self almost daily for not getting one when I had the chance.
The kid across the street from my sister had a 1500 with one on it and it was the same color as mine.
He screwed up the frond end being stupid and it sat in his front yard for about a month. Claimed the truck was for sale.
One day I noticed the truck wasnt there anymore.
I inquired about it and he said he sold it to the local parts yard.