3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

SPS 62 w/Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPS 62 w/Smarty

I just installed an SPS 62 on my 07 5.9 and am having great difficulty building boost. Running 65-70 on flat ground it might have 1PSI of boost where the stock turbo usually was around 5. Driving in town without smoking everyone out is very difficult and a little frustrating to say the least. Everyone says this is a good step up from the stocker so I am thinking I have some issues. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

You just need to be a little easier on the skinny pedal until you build boost. My cruising boost is the same as yours.... little to none. I have trained myself throttle control to keep the black away, but it can be hard at times. I run SW#9 Wild 4.11 all the time. I dont know if you run an auto either, it probably makes a difference. I love my SPS62 and will never go back. Top end is awesome for sure compared to stock.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM

I am actually very easy on the skinny pedal. I am running the manual trans and they say it should be even easier to spool than an auto. Out of curiosity at what RPM on level ground are you surpassing 10PSI? I can't climb any grade in 6th now because it smokes like crazy.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

I mostly run back roads to work 35-50 mph and my rpm's are usually 1300-1700. I was afraid I would need to run a gear lower to keep the turbo spooled but I have no issues there. There is a light haze when accelerating, but nothing horrible by any means. I dont think I could get 10 psi on the flat at any speed. I know 75 with cruise set it is 2-3 psi. where before it would be 8-10. Surprisingly though the EGT's have only went up about 100-150 cruising. Are you running good fuel pressure? I feed my CP3 27 PSI of 2 micron fuel and that may be a difference. I know when I had the stock lift pump and drained it to 0-3 psi it would smoke more.(not atomized as well) Go figure.... less fuel = more smoke
Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airsick
I just installed an SPS 62 on my 07 5.9 and am having great difficulty building boost. Running 65-70 on flat ground it might have 1PSI of boost where the stock turbo usually was around 5. Driving in town without smoking everyone out is very difficult and a little frustrating to say the least. Everyone says this is a good step up from the stocker so I am thinking I have some issues. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
You and me both. I will be removing mine for inspection soon.

Even the BETA SMARTY 44 Lev 3 can't get this sucker lit, and EGT's are through the roof towing a measly 8000lbs.
Up a 5% grade, stock tires, 5th gear, 65mph cruise control on, I have 1150F EGT's and 15 psig boost.

PS, I have no boost leaks or exhaust leaks. Either the wastegate flappers are hosed (turbo has 3000 miles on it) or?????

Either way, 90% of people love their 62's , 10% do not. I am beginning to wonder if the 10% who do not like theirs are having the same issues.

Not happy
Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 PM

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up but will want to check everything so that is something I will have to check. I get quite a bit more than a light haze, so I may have some other issues. Even with the Smarty set on 9 I haven't seen more than about 36 PSI which I think is pretty strange from what I have been reading about this turbo. I love it once it is spooled, it's like a rocket but that lag is painful. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 AM

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up but will want to check everything so that is something I will have to check. I get quite a bit more than a light haze, so I may have some other issues. Even with the Smarty set on 9 I haven't seen more than about 36 PSI which I think is pretty strange from what I have been reading about this turbo. I love it once it is spooled, it's like a rocket but that lag is painful. Thanks!
Well, try this out. I removed the SMARTY and then ran the TST only.

TT03 is the only program that lights the charger. 3x2!!!!!

And egt's climb higher than a Duramax running 550RWHP thru a stock charger!

And I should know, I had one of those!

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

I can light my SPS as low as 1800 to 45 PSI (wastegate setting) with SW9 and MP-8 approx. 50%. A full throttle run nets me 1050-1100* at 90 MPH from 0. I seriously think you guys have something going on, or it may be my superior 05 electronics J/K

I dont tow so I cant comment on the towing EGTs. I do think things would get toasty trying to pull down low with less than 20 PSI boost.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by matego
I can light my SPS as low as 1800 to 45 PSI (wastegate setting) with SW9 and MP-8 approx. 50%. A full throttle run nets me 1050-1100* at 90 MPH from 0. I seriously think you guys have something going on, or it may be my superior 05 electronics J/K

I dont tow so I cant comment on the towing EGTs. I do think things would get toasty trying to pull down low with less than 20 PSI boost.

Exactly my point. This thing is a laaaaaag pig, then whammo, it runs up to 37 psig and no higher!>!>!>!>!

WTH.

Boost fooler and turbo fooler in place and working correctly.

I am sure IE will take care of me. It's probably just a gate issue inside the exhaust hsg.

If no satisfaction is to be found... K31 over stocker is looking mighty tempting.

Besides i miss the Twins that I had on my DMX
Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by matego

Did you have to adjust the boost elbow at all when you got yours? I have had mine on for a whopping 2 days and don't see very high boost unless I am hammering the skinny pedal and high is only about 36. I haven't had time to mess with it at all so I will this weekend and see how it goes.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Did you have to adjust the boost elbow at all when you got yours? I have had mine on for a whopping 2 days and don't see very high boost unless I am hammering the skinny pedal and high is only about 36. I haven't had time to mess with it at all so I will this weekend and see how it goes.
Crank in the little allen screw until you get to the boost you want. I have heard of the waste gate actuator spring being too weak and letting the drive pressure blow open the waste gate. Call II and talk to Brandon or Shawn. They both really know their turbo stuff. I have no doubt at all that they will make it right.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 AM

Well that sucks guys. I want twins someday anyway, but I've always had my eye on a 62 of some sort in case of low fundage and impatience. This is really the first I've heard of anyone being unsatisfied because they thought a 62 was laggy. Guess I haven't been paying as close attention as I thought. And I've always read that the 62 was best for towing? Huh.

Good luck with figuring out the issue.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 AM

That little screw is hitting bottom on mine.

No Joy.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

i ran an sps62/14, smarty, tst, quad etc. no troubles lighting it, and towing egt's were low here. i could make it light at cruising rpm, boost was set to 50. you do have the little plug installed in the harness that went to the factory turbo?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
i ran an sps62/14, smarty, tst, quad etc. no troubles lighting it, and towing egt's were low here. i could make it light at cruising rpm, boost was set to 50. you do have the little plug installed in the harness that went to the factory turbo?
My first question is..... What little plug?

Quick Reply: SPS 62 w/Smarty