3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Springs or Shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Springs or Shocks???

Ok . . . I've had an ongoing issue with my front suspension. The truck kept bottoming out over minor bumps . . . I took it to the dealer and they didn't find any issues. I put a set of Timbrens on it, and that helped a lot for normal driving. However, I just took a 1000K mile trip to Maine hauling my 10K trailer, and there were times that the front was bouncing way too much. I'm about ready to buy some high quality shocks for it, but do you think it might be the springs? Would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:31 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bouncing is controlled by shocks.

John
Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Thanks . . . I'm thinking of going with the Billstiens (sp?) or the Rancho adjustables.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with the Bilsteins in the front after trying the Ranchos on the front. The Ranchos are good for towing but hard to adjust on the front. Ranchos definately on the rear for towing or heavy loads. BIG difference from stock.

John
Old 07-07-2007, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wetspirit
I went with the Bilsteins in the front after trying the Ranchos on the front. The Ranchos are good for towing but hard to adjust on the front. Ranchos definately on the rear for towing or heavy loads. BIG difference from stock.

John

Regarding the Rancho 9000s, I just leave my fronts on 7 all the time. That Cummins is heavy. My front axle weight on the CAT scales empty is 5,000 or so. No need to adjust the fronts.

On the rears, I usually run about 3 empty and 7 or 9 loaded heavy.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 AM

I am very satisfied with my Bilstiens in the front. The stock shocks on these trucks just are not any good.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Regarding the Rancho 9000s, I just leave my fronts on 7 all the time. That Cummins is heavy. My front axle weight on the CAT scales empty is 5,000 or so. No need to adjust the fronts.

On the rears, I usually run about 3 empty and 7 or 9 loaded heavy.

Same here, very happy with them.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 AM

No shock will stop you from bottoming the front end while it's stock. It doesn't take much for the weight of the Cummins to squash the suspension.

A nice dual rate spring would be nice, but really to answer your question, you need both. If cost is an issue, start with the shocks. They will help as stated earlier.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Suspension is designed to bottom out, so you want to control the "bottom out". This would be the shocks job.

A softer than stock spring with high end properly valved shocks, will bottom less that stock shocks and heavier springs. The front end of these trucks are so heavy, you'd have to tripple the spring rate to get more bottoming resistance with stock shocks, but then the truck rides like a brick.

Didn't some of the guys here install the super crazy gnarly stiff factory springs, and then take them off cause the truck rode so bad?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:47 PM

Thanks for your posts . . . I will get a set of shocks soon. I know the rear are easy to install, . . . . . I'll just have to figure out how to install the front shocks. I'm sure there are a few threads on this. Just a shame I have to replace the shocks for a decent ride on a truck with 18K miles on it. . . . . I expected a bit more from a 3500.

But I love the truck!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by FirstDodge
Thanks for your posts . . . I will get a set of shocks soon. I know the rear are easy to install, . . . . . I'll just have to figure out how to install the front shocks. I'm sure there are a few threads on this. Just a shame I have to replace the shocks for a decent ride on a truck with 18K miles on it. . . . . I expected a bit more from a 3500.

But I love the truck!
So do I hear a project for next month or did you already put them on??
Old 07-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by THURENfab.

Didn't some of the guys here install the super crazy gnarly stiff factory springs, and then take them off cause the truck rode so bad?
Several guys rans some super crazy gnarly aftermarket springs and junked 'em.....they were called something crazy like "infinite" or "variable" rate, which I think was some fancy technical term for loads of free height over a spring that hardly moves.

I think I can remember who sells them, but it would be in bad taste to name names
Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 PM

I had similar issues when towing my toy hauler at 12K#. I would get this porpoising effect. I called Sean Lorenz and talked to him about it. His response was it has alot to do with how you load the trailer, tongue weight, rear bags and such. He did say shocks would help but loading style was more the factor in his experience. Well, I bought the Biltstein 5100's and put them on this weekend. Haven't towed with them yet but WOW! what an immediate difference to stock. Install was fairly easy. Recommendation for the fronts is to have a second hand as I had to press down on the towers to align them to the studs with the shocks installed while my son started the lock nuts on the threads. Let me tell you those 5100's are hard to compress and hold for a skinny guy
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Bottoming out.

I think the crazy aftermarket springs offered by Kore,Lorenz,Carli and Thuren work fine from posts I've read. It's the D/C #988's and similiar that are beating some to death unless they equip them with a winch or plow as designed. Getting rid of the stock shocks is a must. That goes for any truck I've owned.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:08 PM

Well . . . I've put the 4 Bilstiens on the truck now, and it does make a big difference empty, and when towing my boat (4200lbs.). I will tow my travel trailer (10K) in a couple of weeks, and then I will really be able to compare before/after performance.

Quick Reply: Springs or Shocks???