3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

spray sound deadening or over top of dynamat

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spray sound deadening or over top of dynamat

Im not ready now but was curious of the most durable sound insulation barrier.

I've long considered that the best would be thin layer of dynamat with linex or rhino over the top of it but I remember the audiophiles in the late 90's installing some spray insulation but I don't know how durable it would be. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Lizardskin over top of the Dynamat. Rhino stinks inside and will stink for a very long time. I tried Fatmat and I thought it worked just as good as Dynamat for 1/2 the price. It was on the old ladys car but I plan on doing the truck soon with Fatmat and Lizardskin because of the stacks.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 AM

Second Skin is a good value and a good product.

http://secondskinaudio.com/
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 AM

x2 on the secondskin thats good stuff right there...but if your gonna spray the inside of the truck i would spray first then apply your dynamat/fatmat/brown bread/raamat/secondskin or whatever you choose to put on top of it....
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 AM

What makes you say that?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 AM

i used to own a scion xb that i did soundoff with and sound deadened the whole car doors, floor, panels, roof, some things twice and where im from it gets hella hot and sometimes the deadening would loosen and come up so thats why i ould spray first so if it were to come loose it wouldnt bring up the spray with it...i mean you could spray over it by all means but then it would but i wouldnt risk it
Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 AM

I wonder if line-x is good enough on its own? I mean it seems to stick the best and looks great. Isnt most of the sound deadening just reducing vibration? I would think a rubber based product would be great.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 AM

there are plenty of different products out there that reduce noise and vibration its all a matter of reserach...b-quiet.com....here is a little comparison chart you can check out and does provide some info...i used the b-quiet extreme and it worked well but you can get the same thing as that product at home depot or lowes and its called peel&seal. i discovered that many soundoff competitors use this because it basically the same thing as most sound deadining materials for half the price
Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 AM

I found that the Peel-N-Seal is similar in appearance to B-Quiet but the Peel-N-Seal has an asphalt smell that the B-Quite doesn’t. Additionally they are close to the same cost. I installed 100 sq feet of B-Quiet and 40 sq feet of Second Skin Damplifer. If I had to do over I would use the Second Skin stuff exclusively. It lays down much nicer, is slightly thicker, was rated better in a performance test, and most importantly is not nearly as messy. Cutting and handling the B-Quiet caused my hands, truck paint, truck carpet, etc to become spotted with tar stains. It comes off easily with “waterless hand cleaner” but is a pain. The Second Skin was noticeably nicer to work with. I just completed my “sound deadening project” on my 07 5.9. I bet I spent close to 40 hours doing it. I pulled out all of the seats, carpet, door panels, and trim. I installed the B-Quiet/Damplifer over all of the outer door skins, inner door skins, floor pan, behind rear seat, cowl area, and front wheel well area. On the floor and rear wall I installed Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro (3/8” thick dense foam with dense vinyl like layer). I wrapped the Luxury Liner up around the toe kick area of the drivers and passenger side. I also installed some under the wheel well near the area that the front door hinges attach. I also installed about 50 sq of thin 1/8” sound foam behind the trim pieces and between the headliner and roof. The wife thought I was nuts because “the truck wasn’t that loud to start with”. We went for a ride yesterday and she was “blown away”. She said she couldn’t believe the difference. I don’t have a DB meter but we are both convinced that it is quieter than our Mercedes. I have the Smarty on #9 that causes a good bit of timing rattle. I can still hear the engine when I get on it but the road noise is good. At 80 mph you only hear the slightest wind noise around the window. Overall it is a fantastic improvement and worth the effort and cost (about $600). I imagine that the insulation factor will be a nice benefit as well.