3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Spray in bedliner, Speedliner is junk, ask me first

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Spray in bedliner, Speedliner is junk, ask me first

Just a quick warning as I have been dealing with my Speedliner spray in liner. I did not abuse it in any way infact I babied it.

I did USE my bed and that was a "no-no" I guess. It is there to look at but do not put anything on it.

They did not warranty any of the chips or peeling areas. They are impossible to get a hold of as well. Look on their website and it is all about investing in their company and nothing about getting hold of someone at the corporate office. No contact numbers or e-mail addresses.

Long story short I just got ANOTHER bedliner sprayed on top of the original one to help protect my truck. This is a Speedliner as well because all other companies wanted about $100 to prep my Speedliner and then $500+ for a new one.

The Speedliner auto shop did it for a bit cheaper then his normal rate to "help me out".

If you have any questions ask. I did talk to a Rhino liner installer this afternoon and he told me some things they DID warranty as his shop and some of them were obvious abuse, but they still fixed them for free. A bit more expensive but a lot better in the long run.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I am only posting this because I do not want other to go through what I did.....
Old 10-27-2007, 06:41 PM

All 3 brands of spray in bedliners have been damaged and none were fixed under their BS warranty.

Oh yeah they will tell you it will last forever and is garenteed against just about everything before you buy, but once you drive it away your on your own.

Most installers are just regular guys that own a small busniess and they dont want to fix it because they will loose money.

My Rhino Liner was cut up pretty bad and was torn and had bald spots from slight abrasion. (quad front bumper rubbing on front of bed rail.

Same goes for line X

They all sux and luckley I never had to pay for it since they were all ready sprayed before I bought the truck.

If my next truck doesnt already have it I'd get a below the rail pastic drop in and get some plastic bed rails. If I ever notice rust beneeth the liner i'll just use the hurculiner roll on kit for $75.

They look great if you dont haul stuff but wont stand up to any kind of abuse.

My rhino liner was trashed in 1 hour from hauling a dana 60 in the bed, not only did it cut it up but it also dented the thin sheet metal on the bed floor and wheel wells.

I had a plastic drop in in my old Dakota and I loved it and it lasted forever and still looked great.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My Rhino is trash, best I have seen sprayed on is linex...

Best bedliner I have ever seen was a cheep DIY roll on, with a plastic bedliner on it. After 4 years of abusing the plastic liner, I took it out right before I sold it, looked brand new.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kinda like the bed rug, if I was to get a drop in thats what it would be.....but I am not a fan of the drop in's.....
Old 10-27-2007, 08:09 PM

I would like to know what you guys are doing to your bed liners. I have not had any bad luck with mine. I even hall over 3,000lb pallets full of furniture or paper in the bed from time to time for work. It has never pulled up or peeled away.

I will admit I have seen some bed liners that have been sprayed and they look like garbage, while others look great. I believe alot has to deal with who does it and how expierence they are. I believe a lot also has to deal with the prep work prior to the application of the bed liner. If you watch the duplicolor or hurculiner DIY videos they will say 90% prep with 10% for application of the product. Also, I noticed a few spray ons' require a few days cure time prior to recieving any heavy loads or being put into use. I know, I tow a cargo trailer that has line-x sprayed on the frame and it looks like garbage compared to my truck bed. So, I believe it has a lot to do with the dealers that do the spraying and how much time they spend on prep.

When you got your spray on did you get the warranty tag too and view samples of their work? Did you wait a few days to allow the spray on to cure?

Otherwise, I would hate to say it. Sometimes, you get what you paid for. Exspecially, if you go the cheap route.

Shawn
Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 PM

As a reply:

I babied mine at first. This means I did not touch it for a week. In fact the "new one" I have sprayed over my other one is also getting a 6+ day cure time.....

Mine was/will be used every day with things like hand tools in the back. When I put a pallet in there it would sit on 1/2" plywood.

I think slowsixspeed said it best when he said they tell you all this great stuff till after you pay for it. Then it is "oh that is not covered under warranty you used it and let the sun hit it for more the 50 minutes a day....."

I just wish someone wrote this is the past. When I did my original bedliner many people recommended them. What they did not tell me is how they did not use their truck's bed more then once a week to haul some boxes of cloths or something....

If you are going to use your truck for work, hard work or daily normal work, get a drop in liner.... And bed rails. Put a reminder on your calendar so once a year in June when it is nice out take the bed liner out, power wash the bed, sand and spray paint any rust areas, and replace. You will save MONEY as well as aggravation......

In 3 years when I have this problem again I will most take my own advice above and then have 2 spray in liners and one plastic. After spending $1000 on bedliners I MIGHT then be happy and had a truck bed I can use.....
Old 10-29-2007, 02:30 AM

I've used Line-X on every new truck I've bought. I guess the key to getting a good liner is that I go through the dealership which in turn use reputable guys and stand by their product. Both times Line-X has been a great bed liner and I have abused them.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my brother has a sprayed rhino, and it is the best liner, although he has 10 coats sprayed, there are no chips or anything, very light scratches, looks like if he washed it they would go away, maybe it depends on how much you put on, he got 10 coats professionally done for 300 dollars total bill in and out, that included prepping and all. i think a lot depends on how its prepped.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 AM

When I had my 04, I had a BULLHIDE spray in liner. I couldn't get it to peel scrape or anything. Had it for around 3 years in the GA heat, and it didn't fade at all. Check my pics. I havn't seen anything better.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:08 AM

Did you ever haul heavy stuff like engines, axles, tranny's, metal, you know real tuff loads, not boxes or bags of dirt.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 AM

spray in liner

Had SCORPION brand of spray in liner installed on my truck, had to go back to the dealer 2X, he fixed the problems with the liner, the 3rd time, he fixed it & just gave me a drop in liner over the spray in, no problems now. Maybe its because I actually use my truck for work, this must not be allowed with spray ins. In my opinions, spray in are junk. On my 07 the same dealer sprayed the rustproofing on the bed, then reinstalled the drop in that came with the truck.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM

10 coats of rhino liner is there any room left in the box for cargo....that stuff is thick.ks
Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sounds like a DIY roll on under a plastic liner would last better. i just can't stand how stuff slides on a plastic liner, so mabye a bed mat on top of that.

i have my bed bare, i crawl up in there with a greenie and take off any scuff marks, then re-paint the bare spots with gloss white (refrigerator paint)

i keep a blanket in there to put stuff on.

it just kills all my friends if open my tonneau, and the bed isn't spray lined, they all have a fit, then i look at someone's bed who really worked it (like MadHat's) and it CHEWED UP. I can't see spending the coin for it to rip up & not be fixable, like you guys are saying.

i just haul any rough stuff in a trailer (got 4 at house now)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, mine is beat up pretty bad. Makes me wonder... How much it would cost to get the bed re-painted when you were going to sell it vs. the cost of a spray in liner and what it looked like...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

Sounds like whoever sprayed it did a crap prep job dude. I know lots of folks with Speedliner, including myself and I have not heard of any issues.

As for the warranty, it is really up to the place that sprayed it and their willingness to work with you.

I think it's a smart idea to put a rubber mat on the bottom anyhow though. The sheetmetal is so thin on these trucks it will help from denting it all up when you throw something in it.

Or if your hauling something heavy, like an engine, axles, etc I just put a piece of plywood under it.

We have Rhino in our work truck (05 Duramax) and it is holding up pretty good considering what the truck goes through, other than the fact that it is turning chaulky white.

Quick Reply: Spray in bedliner, Speedliner is junk, ask me first