3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Southbend Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Southbend Clutch

I just had a SBC Con FE clutch installed in my truck and I have a couple of problems with it and I was wondering if they are things I just have to live with or if I should take it back to the shop. First off it chatters like crazy in neutral with the clutch is out. Second it is really hard to get into 1st, 2nd, or Reverse from stand still. Last, when I start in 2nd the truck hops like there is a bad U-Joint. I was told by Southbend that there is a break in period but I've put about 500 miles on it and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is this just the nature of the beast or is there a problem with my clutch?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

as far as the hopping, it will get better. try giving it slightly more throttle when starting, like 900rpm instead of the 780ish idle. that will smooth it.
i have had some difficulty with getting into 2nd or reverse with my ofe. it has gotten better as it is broken in.
dont know why it rattles.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM

The rattle might be something to worry about, but the rest seems like the norm. One reason for the hard engaugments into revers, 1st, and 2nd is the materials used have less slip and more grab to them. When you push the clutch in, the clutch plate and move back and forth and still make light contact with the pressure plate and flywheel. This keeps some rotation in the tranny and then the syncros don't want to mesh as well. I had the same thing with my OFE and the DD's are alittle wores.

One trick I picked up it to first put it into 4th as things in 4th are moving slower compared to 2nd or revers. once in 4th with the clutch still out, it stops thing, then go to 2nd or revers. Makes things much easier.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I has the same problems. I called Southbend and was given the advice as noted above, give it more throttle when taking off. Also, dip it into 4th before first or reverse, it helps. Time will help too, mine was really hard, but it has improved.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Baja,
Did you have the same chatter in nuetral? That is what worries me the most.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had that chatter on a couple of trucks recently that i installed the Con OFE's into and it was the harmonics of the motor. For mine we tried 4 different disks and finally Peter sent me a Luk hub'd disk instead of the spicer hub that he is using and it quieted mine right down. Some trucks rattle and some dont. mine had a horrible harmonic rattle at idle in neutral. it doesnt do any damage but it was very annoying, the clutch was louder than my truck LOL. The LUK hub was what peter used for years, the spicer hub he uses now is a much stronger hub. hence why peter went to it, for me i didnt need the strength my last OFE lasted 200k miles and had a throw-out not failed it probably would have lasted longer. The luk has more dampening springs. the spicer is bulletproof.

The jump is normal you have Fenalic material on both sides the OFE has some give with organic on one side so OFE's are smoother your clutch is either biting or not, thats what FE's are made to do. No give and hold the hp. unfortunately if you wanted softer engagement a OFE would have been up the alley but the noise is a different issue
Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Well that is kind of depressing Well at least it is not damaged or causing harm it just annoys me when I pull up to the car wash or drive through and it sounds like it is falling apart

Thanks for the help
Dave
Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
talk to peter about it.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Mine chatters, hops on takeoff, but engages gears good. Granted it takes a little longer to engage reverse. But I like to run through the gears while coasting to a stop, always seems to halp me hit 2nd better when i come to a stop. letting the truck move a little while engaging gears helps too.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:12 PM

FE's are know to be a little bit chattery, I'm curios why you got that instead of an OFE?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM

The reason it's hopping when you are taking off in 2nd is because it's working where as a stock clutch will slip and will be smoother on take off.
Remember you are now running a high performance clutch so some things will be different.....
However I would suggest some high performance hydraulics, they might help you getting into gear easier.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
The reason it's hopping when you are taking off in 2nd is because it's working where as a stock clutch will slip and will be smoother on take off.
Remember you are now running a high performance clutch so some things will be different.....
However I would suggest some high performance hydraulics, they might help you getting into gear easier.
I knew when I put it in it was going to grab more I am more concerned with the chattering than anything else.

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
FE's are know to be a little bit chattery, I'm curios why you got that instead of an OFE?
I tow trailers pretty regularly and was told that the FE allowed more slip for floating the clutch when backing up and the like.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick2001

I tow trailers pretty regularly and was told that the FE allowed more slip for floating the clutch when backing up and the like.
peter told me that if i was doing any towing, to stay away from the fe.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM

Sounds like you have that confused with the Con OFE
Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM

the FE would be more bucky in reverse and takeoff. A DD will do better for reverse when with loads. Heck, even my OFE bucks a little when backing a trailer.

Quick Reply: Southbend Clutch