3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

south bend clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with 3 HARD 3rd gear 20-30psi launches... im VERY impressed... never slipped once, after full engagement.. and thats alot of stress on the clutch.. o ya, my clutch is about 300 miles old... it was seated well before i even drove it!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:24 AM

Perfect thread for me guys. Mine is in the shop as we speak getting the OFE put it. I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the phone call from the shop. I talked to the mechaninc last night about the break in of the clutch. He siad about 250 miles before you hammer it. He also said that when he put his in he just hammered it and has never had any problems. I'm going to give her a couple hundred before i put the chip up. Been saving my pennies too long and drinking cheap beer to screw anything up.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kman9090
In most cases when you go with a dual disc you still have to put it in 4lo to back up a heavy trailer. Also with dual disc's it's better to always take off in 1st gear to save the clutch.
Not the case with my sprung hub DD... very smooth backing up heavy trailers... like heavy over 20k...

And its always better to start in first to save on clutch wear with any clutch, a DD is far more forgiving and designed to be slipped some... I only start in first if towing moderate to heavy...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=bnold;2154097]Not the case with my sprung hub DD... very smooth backing up heavy trailers... like heavy over 20k...

And its always better to start in first to save on clutch wear with any clutch, a DD is far more forgiving and designed to be slipped some... I only start in first if towing moderate to heavy...[

So your DD pulls pretty good? Is it real growly and grabby? I've been lookin at getting the OFE, because I don't want a clutch thats a pain to drive since I drive my truck everyday, pullin trailers and such. But I also wana do it right, and not get a clutch thats gonna give out on me. I wana hit around 550 to 600 hp and still pull, so I need a clutch to handle that. I'm gona call peter and see what he says before I order one, but I wanted some input from people running them too.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 AM

well i have close to 2000 kms on it now and thought i might throw a little power at it last night and from what i experienced it held all of the power and shifted very nice......i am really impressed as were the passengers! it absolutely kicks the stocker it is sweet a*@
Old 07-22-2008, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=mcolectd;2154121]
Originally Posted by bnold
Not the case with my sprung hub DD... very smooth backing up heavy trailers... like heavy over 20k...

And its always better to start in first to save on clutch wear with any clutch, a DD is far more forgiving and designed to be slipped some... I only start in first if towing moderate to heavy...[

So your DD pulls pretty good? Is it real growly and grabby? I've been lookin at getting the OFE, because I don't want a clutch thats a pain to drive since I drive my truck everyday, pullin trailers and such. But I also wana do it right, and not get a clutch thats gonna give out on me. I wana hit around 550 to 600 hp and still pull, so I need a clutch to handle that. I'm gona call peter and see what he says before I order one, but I wanted some input from people running them too.
The entire reason I went with a sprung DD was to be able to tow heavy and it not be grabby... In order to get a single to hold the power this truck has I would have to get a very aggressive full ceramic face (aka FE). I had a cermaic single in the past and knew for a FACT that I didn't want something that grabby again... towing and backing trailers SUCKED! With my DD it is as smooth as can be, driving manners are great. Only draw backs are slower shifts, increased pedal pressure (yes even with upgraded hydros... Anyone who tells you otherwise is crazy...), and a little more effort to get into gear, the increased spinning mass and extra drag on the floater plate makes it a bit more difficult to slow the assembly for easy gear engagement at a stop... I got used to that quickly though... SBC Sprung DD is great in my truck... Would not trade for any other..

PS my towing also includes tractors (big small and in between), lots of hay (when it rains! Not much growth right now!), boats, etc... Very heavy at times and the clutch handles it great!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Bnold - I agree with everything that you say about the SBC DD. That is exactly how my DD handles and operates. However it really holds the power! The only issue is shifting into reverse from a stop. When the tranny is cold, it is not too bad, however when is gets hot, it takes a lot of pressure on the gear shifter. I sometime just shutdown shift and startup in reverse. Other then that, it has great drivability.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dieselengineer
Bnold - I agree with everything that you say about the SBC DD. That is exactly how my DD handles and operates. However it really holds the power! The only issue is shifting into reverse from a stop. When the tranny is cold, it is not too bad, however when is gets hot, it takes a lot of pressure on the gear shifter. I sometime just shutdown shift and startup in reverse. Other then that, it has great drivability.
Not sure if its the same on the nv5600 as the g56, but on mine it makes it a lot easier to get into reverse or second from a stop if I put it in fifth first. Don't know why but it works.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=bnold;2154472]
Originally Posted by mcolectd

The entire reason I went with a sprung DD was to be able to tow heavy and it not be grabby... In order to get a single to hold the power this truck has I would have to get a very aggressive full ceramic face (aka FE). I had a cermaic single in the past and knew for a FACT that I didn't want something that grabby again... towing and backing trailers SUCKED! With my DD it is as smooth as can be, driving manners are great. Only draw backs are slower shifts, increased pedal pressure (yes even with upgraded hydros... Anyone who tells you otherwise is crazy...), and a little more effort to get into gear, the increased spinning mass and extra drag on the floater plate makes it a bit more difficult to slow the assembly for easy gear engagement at a stop... I got used to that quickly though... SBC Sprung DD is great in my truck... Would not trade for any other..

PS my towing also includes tractors (big small and in between), lots of hay (when it rains! Not much growth right now!), boats, etc... Very heavy at times and the clutch handles it great!
Ok thanks, thats all I needed to know. I tow a lot of the same stuff you do, but I don't have the power you do yet
Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by coblanchard
Not sure if its the same on the nv5600 as the g56, but on mine it makes it a lot easier to get into reverse or second from a stop if I put it in fifth first. Don't know why but it works.
4th gear is my ticket to reverse! put her in 4th, engauge the clutch slightly to slow things down and she normally slips right in to reverse...