3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which South Bend to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which South Bend to buy??

I have almost 31000 miles on my truck now and the clutch is really starting to suffer. I can now slip the clutch going up a hill and stomping on it just with the BDTD set on performance ,and it doesn't have a prayer on crazy larry. Also when i shift it is getting real chunky. I changed the fluid in the g56 and that smoothed out the trans ,but when i shift it almost feels like I am floating the gears.

Anyway I want to get a new clutch ,and I want to get a South Bend. I plan on doing some more hp upgrades like turbo, intercooler, and some small injectors like maybe 50 horse. SO I want a clutch that will handle future upgrades. I tow on occasion sometimes up to 9000lbs so the clutch needs to handle that with no problem. Also it needs to hold 2500rpm launches at the strip with no slipping even with future upgrades. It would also be nice to just dump the clutch and be able to roast the tires on demand!!!

I drive all city stop and go so pedal comfort would be a plus. I plan on doing the install myself so I would like to have a clutch that does all of the above and that will give me at least another 30,000 plus miles of reliable performance.

Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Best advice is to call Peter at SB and ask him
Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 AM

You're best bet would be to call South Bend (1-800-988-4345) and ask for Peter. Tell him what your plans are and how you use your truck and he'll set you up. I'm using their Con O FE for my NV-5600. Peter says it's good up to 550hp. It has stock pedal feel and is pretty smooth for backing up to trailers. There are stronger clutches (ceramic) but they are very grabby and not suited for towing. If you are planning on more than 550hp, you can get a dual disk clutch, but they are mighty pricey. But don't worry. Peter will set you up with what you need and treat ya right.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM

I had an OFE. What a great clutch!!!

Held over 500/950, took abuse on the strip (no 3rd gear launches) and whatever I threw at it. Always bit hard and showed NO signs of slip.

All this while having near-stock drivability.

If I had no drag racing or sled pulling in mind, I'd buy this clutch again. My next manual truck will be a puller, so my next South Bend will be a DD.

I ran a 3250 Street DD for a while... A dual disc with organic facings. It would take 3rd gear launches and roast tires at will. It would not, however, hold up to any sled-pulling.

The only negative IMO with a DD is the slow shifting. The rotating mass is a lot for the synchros to overcome.

The noise, well, that just tells others you have a man's clutch!

Talk to Peter. He'll take care of you. He treated me exceptionally well.

On edit: I believe Tomeygun dynoed at well over 600hp with his older style OFE with much less clamping force than the new style. Do a search...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A DD with a 3250lb plate load should be just about perfect for you. As mention you might could get by with an OFE but with the DD you will have no worries.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

You also need to put into consideration that no matter what clutch you get there is always a chance at overheating-glazing or breaking the badest clutch out there. I have had 3 different clutches in my truck. I overheated a 3850 fe dd solid hub clutch with only 3,000 miles 5 drag races 2 sled pulls an a few 3rd gear launches. South bend stands behind there products unlike any othe company so I would call peter or woody and ask them. I think the only single disc I would get is the ofe the con fe is very grabby and I think they will hold the same amount of power as the fe. I would get a double disc if I were you. Single just won't hold much abuse. The 3250 and the 3600 are Perfect plate load for everyday drag racing /towing but sled pullin Will take it out quick
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 PM

Actually i just got the Con FE. It holds 200 lb/ft more than the OFE and is completely capable of handle 500 rwhp. Or so Peter told me this morning. You cant pull a trailer with it, it's just far to aggressive. But for the G56, it holds a ton and is streetable. Sled pulling isnt very great for it either FYI.