3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

south bend 3250 clutch manners

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
south bend 3250 clutch manners

was wondering how the drivability is with this clutch Street 3250.
I tow heavy, I tractor pull and take 2 tractors on my trailer.
also pull my horse trailer.
wondering how grabby it is? is it mild mannered for street use?
does one need to use 1rts gear to take off empty?
can you back up a trailer of some size and weight without putting in 4 low?
I hate backing up in 4wd, I have to make tight turns and things contort and flex, pinch etc.. you know.
I have had an aftermarket clutch before and it was terrible!!
the truck would jump and buck. then the trans was so noisy in neutral you could not talk on the cell phone unless the clutch was pushed in.
it was an organic disk with heavier pressure plate.
could not pull a trailer, cause it was so grabby, without my traction bars I think I would have broke a ujoint. took it out and put the OEM clutch in.
time has passed, and now I have added some things to make more power and well the clutch will slip. I realize when doing this things change.
any input would be helpful. its a nv5600
thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son installed the new SB 3250 organic/ceramic in his old 2011 with G56, it is noisy and a little grabby but much better than the old 3250. He towed most of the time with that truck and still does... However after replacing the weak link clutch and flywheel with the SB3250 the next thing down line was the G56, first to go was reverse then the whole gearbox, just saying.. He's now using a 2013 Aisin 3500 SRW Crew cab 4X4.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 PM

I just finished installing mine about 3hrs ago so I can only give you first impressions. But from my test drive I can tell you I'm impressed. First thing I noticed is it's way quieter than my buddy's valair he put in a year ago. It's not much louder than my stock clutch was. You can hear it the most when you push the clutch in. My bad throwout bearing was just as loud as this clutch. Mine is not at all grabby but it isn't broke in yet. All in all I'm very happy with it. As a side note the pilot bearing in this setup is far superior to the factory setup. If you decide to get one be sure to give Lary a call at the dtr store here, he'll treat you right. Oh by the way I have the NV5600 to.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 AM

wow, this is it for replies. I am very leary of purchasing a southbend clutch now. I was hoping for some more feed back, experiences or anything.
with just 2 replies I not sure.
throw this out there Kenny's Clutches. (Not the singer)
anyone used his DD organic for street use and heavy towing.
how are its manners?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a valair stage 2 clutch in my 06. No problems backing up trailers, no problems with it being "more grabby" than stock. A little bit more noise, but not horrible. At least it holds the extra power from my edge chip- which the stock couldn't hold.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 PM

thanks for the reply jona gold. valiar had crossed my mind. DD organic?
how the pedal push?
Minnesota and still getting snow
I am in se MN
Old 04-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Yep- got about 8-10" up here in the central part of the state.

Clutch feel is the same as stock. Looking at Valair's current website, it looks like the setup is different than what I bought. When I did mine a little over a year ago, they had different horsepower ratings, and didn't advertise the "Quiet Dual Disc". Looks like they still have the gear roll-over noise though, which is where mine is louder. If I am in a higher gear at low speed, lugging the motor, it is noticeably louder. I'm happy enough with it- but do miss how quiet my truck used to be. But since I put louder exhaust on too- I can't really complain, especially since it holds the power better.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by D47U
thanks for the reply jona gold. valiar had crossed my mind. DD organic?
how the pedal push?
Minnesota and still getting snow
I am in se MN
Not sure if you are aware but the linings that mate to the inside disc get very hot as they get friction heat from both sides that's why they went ceramic there with organic on the outside to give "drive-ability". I understand that organic on the inside won't stand up. The 3250 comes with upgraded hydraulics and will handle what you throw at it, it's a "real" clutch.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM

busboy thank for the reply. I am aware of the of the engineered surfaces and its claims. it does not come with upgraded hydraulics and stated by southbend not needed.
Again how are its manners. can you back up a hill with out the pickup shaking cause of grabby clutch manners. I don't wont to have to by free spin hubs to put in low lock to back a loaded trailer where now I don't have to. also I don't want to have to use 1rst gear to take off in when not loaded.
also one other interesting thing stated in southbend verbiage, not to down shift. what the H who does not do that its called engine braking.

so anyone out there with some feed back?
or are they just used for fun, and not heavy towing.
or are the manners that bad.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Don't downshift??? Weird.
A buddy has a 3250 DD clutch in his 03 and with factory hyd for several years now. It is not as grabby and way less pedal pressure than my OFE clutch.
I thought it would be the other way around but I'd get a 3250 over an OFE.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by D47U
so anyone out there with some feed back?
or are they just used for fun, and not heavy towing.
or are the manners that bad.
I may have been mistaken about the upgraded hydraulics being included, when I ordered it over two years ago it may have been that way or perhaps we just added it. The 3250 organic/ceramic had only just come on the market. I can tell you that that truck was a deleted work truck and mostly used for towing, triple axle 21k or dual 24k gooses in very poor conditions, and when not towing those it had about a 14k but loaded to 8k cargo trailer attached, it was definitely not a "fun" truck in fact about the furthest thing from it. The truck has been gone for almost a year so it's kind of faded in memory but I want only one thing from a clutch and that is to put the power to the ground, not slip and burn and the 3250 organic/ceramic can do that. Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Feedback I've had mine in my truck over 5 years you don have to take off in low gear but it's easier and smoother than 2nd. As far as backing up at idle if you don't use low range it's a little jumpy southbend says if you will pick up the rpm some it will smooth out but I just use low range.

It is a good all around clutch it makes noise in nutral but not bad.

Call southbend and talk to peter and he can fill you in on anything you want to know
Old 06-15-2014, 01:46 PM

ive had my dd3250 for about 2 years roughly 25,000 miles. and i love it. a little more pedal pressure then stoke. cant even hear do to stacks. but drives very well. im so used to it now that i couldnt compare it to stock but but i wouldnt trade it for anything.