3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Sound System Upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound System Upgrades???

To all: Thanks in advance, I always get the right answer here...

So here goes... I want to do a bottom up replace of my sound system. I am done struggling to get the quality right or the volume so i can hear Keith Moon pounding the skins on my favorite Who album. I have done enough research to understand that to get good sound, i have to scrap the radio/cd player as well as the infinity system.

Can anyone help with a good blueprint to success? Radio with MP3 player input, what speakers to get, amplifier, woofers.... i spend so much time in this truck (when not in Afghanistan or Iraq) that i want to enjoy my time...
Old 10-24-2005, 02:06 PM

I went for sound quality more than being loud.

I have decent Alpine Stereo.
Polk Speakers in all the doors. 6x9's in front 300w 100 rms
5.25 in rear 125w 45 rms
2 10" Subs in an enclosure under the rear seats. Kicker CVR 600w 300rms
I have 2 amps 1 for the door speaker and 1 for the subs.
Audiovox A4004-T 4x50rms
Kicker KX400.1 400@2ohms I believe mine is wired to 1 ohm

The audiovox is probably a little small but the kicker is plenty.
I don't have either amp turned up all the way.
The subs nowadays have built in bypasses so none of the bass goes to the door speakers and only to the subs.

Even when turned up it really pounds on the back of the seats but it has no distortion and doesn't kill your ears with terrible high frequencies.

Whole thing only ran me around $2000 but I really enjoy it.

http://www.audio-n-more.com/Merchant...egory_Code=RAM

This is where I got my sub enclosure... I don't recommend the speakers they offer as you can get better. Just note that not all 10" subs will fit and even mine needed some custome fit/cutting to work.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:16 PM

Did you look into the MTX Thunderform for under your back seats? I have the stock infinity system and the MTX Thunderform (amped already) and it sounds great. You simply have to pull down the bass on the head unit to neutral, adjust the gain and bass on the Thunderform (you get an additional gain control **** for on the fly adjustments up front) to fill in mid and low range, and you can get some really great sound from your stock 5 channel system. It also does not attract attention to devious eye's because you cannot see the 2 ten inch subs under the rear seat in the custom made box, and the head unit is stock. If you have the infinity system you should also be able to hook up Sirius satelite radio and a multidisc changer to it and control all the functions from your stock unit and steering wheel controls. The stock unit can sound pretty nice.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:11 PM

I went with an Alpine head unit, the competition Lightning Audio speakers and 10" woofer with an Eclipse amp. I had Eclipse speakers and blew them out in about 3 months. I won't claim to have the "loudest" system in the world but it is clean as can be. I lost the under the rear seat storage on the passenger side for the fiberglass box that the woofer sits in, but I'm OK with it. To each their own but I can listen to Waylon or Metallica with the same degree of satisfaction .
Old 10-25-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are much of a true audiofile I would scrap the whole system. I did the add tens and cross over the front speakers and it sound decent but it can't compare to a full aftermartet stereo.

I have an 01 mustang that had the mach 460 and I just scraped it. I have boston pro 6.5lF's with a memphis bell amp and two tens. It just sounds better in every way than the dodge. I have more power to the mids and better mids. the bass even sounds better wich may be the acoustics or the type of subs. I have kicker comp vr's@800w in the truck and rocford hx2's@1000W in the stang. I think it just has to do with the head unit and signal quality though.

I have the nav in the truck and it is why I kept the infintiy sound. jsut easier. It sound decent but if you are picky you will be happier just scraping the whole setup. I am happy with the trucks sound though for the money spent. I spent $250 on the box, $120 on the subs kicker comp vr, $129 on the amp mtx810d (refurb). then added some 470uf caps to the front door speakers. It does not sound as good as my stang but there I spent 1k on the headunit, $600 on the amp, $700 on speakers, $180 on subs, dynomated the doors. so it was way more expensive.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tonyiii1
Did you look into the MTX Thunderform for under your back seats? I have the stock infinity system and the MTX Thunderform (amped already) and it sounds great. You simply have to pull down the bass on the head unit to neutral, adjust the gain and bass on the Thunderform (you get an additional gain control **** for on the fly adjustments up front) to fill in mid and low range, and you can get some really great sound from your stock 5 channel system. It also does not attract attention to devious eye's because you cannot see the 2 ten inch subs under the rear seat in the custom made box, and the head unit is stock. If you have the infinity system you should also be able to hook up Sirius satelite radio and a multidisc changer to it and control all the functions from your stock unit and steering wheel controls. The stock unit can sound pretty nice.
The link I gave above is the mtx under rear seat box. You can get it with no subs (which is what I rec) and I put my subs under each seat.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:58 PM

I really like mine....

JVC MP3/CD Head Unit (5 volt preouts F/R/Sub)
US Accoustics 2x85rms (running 4x85 @ 2 ohms)
US Accoustics 2x150rms (bridged 1x450 @ 2 ohms)
1.5 farad cap
Infinty Kappa 6.5 (one in each door...stock location)
Infinity Kappa 10 8ohm DVC sub (2 under rear seat in Moose Audio Box)
4 gauge power wire
12 gauge speaker wire

Will play all music to any volume without any distortion...
Old 10-27-2005, 02:19 PM
wap

So just the box is $299? Or is that loaded?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 PM

just go to ebay. I got mine for $290 shipped with subs. the subs were not the best though I ended up selling them and getting kicker comp vr's.

take a look at www.probox.com as well. $250 but should have a bit better wave lenght on the base note. I am thinking about trying one. that is the main difference between the base output on my truck vs mustang. my mustang just hits deeper notes. not as punchy on the base.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:10 PM

check the signature
Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 PM
wap

That was kind of my next question, can you still use the fold out floors with that box off of ebay? Also I was wondering if there was any way to fit an 8w7 or possibly a 10w7 under the back seat, just a though. I had 3 jl 12 behind the seat of my superduty and would like to get the biggest boom I can out of my dodge but doubt it will be as good as the ferd even though it would only do 137 db. Slice how loud are those 2 8s and how do you like the rest of the system, looks like it should sound pretty good.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:45 PM

There are 2 different discussions on here.....

High Quality

Loud

If you want loud, go eclipse, kicker, etc...... for subs and leave the rest alone

If you want quality and you really want to spend some bucks, thats a different story....... for which I have some ideas, but dont feel like typing it all out here right now, but i will if someone actually wants it.....
Old 10-27-2005, 10:25 PM

I was getting my alarm installed today at the audio shop and they had built a custom sub box inhouse for a dodge that the guy never came and picked up. $199 and it was nice thick MDF with carpet covering and professionally designed.

Originally Posted by sparky3008

http://www.audio-n-more.com/Merchant...egory_Code=RAM

This is where I got my sub enclosure... I don't recommend the speakers they offer as you can get better. Just note that not all 10" subs will fit and even mine needed some custome fit/cutting to work.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:59 AM
bc3

Actually, Id like to jump in on this conversation.

I took a look around on ebay as well as sending a seller a question (no response 3 days later). Ive also been searching out various forums for answers.

Here' what Im asking..two questions.

1) has anyone found a sub box that can fit one side with (2) 8" and still use the fold flat floor?

2) I bought two bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme and want to start to deaden e noisiest areas of the truck first. I've read where some guys go crazy and do the roof..I'm looking not looking to rip that out yet. I could use some advice on what areas to hit first, and if you've installed with multiple layers (using Dynamat Extreme)and where.

Thanks again, bc3
Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM

My 06 is going into the shop next week for a speaker upgrade. I got the cheapo system in this truck, loved the bose system in my last one and this one just blows in comparison. Anyway after alot of research, I almost ordered a infinity system from crutchfield but decided last minute to go to my local small guy stereo shop and boy am I glad. I listen to mostly rock, 80's, some jazz, NO RAP... He has done a bunch of rams and suggested memphis m class speakers, 6x9 in the front doors that have directional tweeters you can aim up (he says just as good as the spereate tweeter mounted in the dash) and 5 1/2's in the rear doors. I'll let you know how it sounds next tuesday. Next step I may add one 8" sub in one side of the rear, then if I get excited a dvd/nav head unit.

Quick Reply: Sound System Upgrades???