3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Sound system advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound system advice

Ok I'm looking to put a new sound system in my truck but I'm completly ignorant about them. I mostly listen to alot of rock (Nirvana papa roach korn etc...) but also listen to rap sometimes. I want to be able to have alot of bass, but also have clear sound as well. It would be nice to find a place that has a box to go behind my seat(single cab), I dont mind if i have to take the cargo tray out. So what brands should I go with, and which brands should I stay away from? What size, and how many subs do I need? What about tweeters, 6x9's etc...? How big on an amp will I need to push all of this? Id also like to keep my stock head unit because it already has 6 disc, satalite, and I actually know how to use it, so can I keep it and get good sound, and if not what should I get? I'm looking to spend anywhere from 1500-3000 but I have a friend that I can get cheap audio stuff from, I just need to know what the exact models are. Sorry about all the questions just want to get it right the first time.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM

I am in love with Rockford Fosgate mostly because my dad owns a distributorship for it and all the stuff i have heard from all of the stuff i have sold to friends and what not is really nice! Power series speakers scream and the subs hit hard and sound very clean! From being around this stuff for a long time i would either go with JL or some Rockford. How much space do you have behind your seat?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 PM

jl has a sub box that replaces your center console- very cool set up.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Im kinda partial to Alpine head units and JL speakers and components. I've been reading that Kenwood is offering some great technology for a good price and a local custom audio company swears by them, he says they are easy to use and sound awesome.

I was looking at a cd/dvd/nav unit from Alpine, IVA-W205, but am now leaning towards the Kenwood DNX7100
Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 PM

i've owned 4 kenwood decks in my life, and the only problem i've ever had was years ago when i lived in the big city and had one stolen.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am partial to Memphis audio and Kicker. I haven't had a better performing system. I have found that ported boxes will certainly yield more bass, but you lose a little of the tight bass sealed enclosures will get you. I have also found that the Kicker L5/L7 series squares perform awesome, and a single square 10 in a ported box would be all the bass you need, unless you're like me, then its a L5 15" in a 4 cu ft ported probox. Seeing you have a single cab, a sealed dual sub system will give you great performance with adequate bass. Square speakers have more surface area creating more bass out of less power. The smaller the sub, the higher the frequencies capability, the bigger; the lower.

I have Memphis Sync Kevlar components all around with adj/ removable tweeters, running a MCA-2004 4ch amp to it. I also have tweeters mounted on the top corners of the windshield, and a bass control **** to adj the bass as it can be all over the place with a change of music.

I run a Memphis MCD-1000 1100watt Class D to my 15. the amps fit perfectly underneath the seats and leave room for a capacitor, etc.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 PM

Also I had a 05 1500 single cab with a dual 12" sealed box with 2 12" P2 Rockford Fosgate. I used a Crossfire Vr402 Amp to power it, and it was a pretty good sytem. The box fit in the cargo tray, but took most of the rear space room.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 AM

I would go to a reputable audio shop and let your ears and there advice guide you, only you will know what sounds best to you. Also with amps and subs your budget can swing real quick so bigger is not always better. my .02
Old 01-14-2008, 08:52 AM

as stated above, i would go to different shops with a mix cd of your fav music in hand and listen to different brands. if it were my vehicle i would run either focal or cdt mids/highs, jl, elemental designs or cdt subs, and jl or elemental designs amps. elemental designs has some high quality gear at a great price point as does cdt. oh yeah, you can purchase a lifetime warranty on the cdt's also for like 10 bucks.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM

If you go to an audio shop, go somewheres where you won't get any BS. Only problem is most store workers will tell you anything to make some money. Yeah you can go listen for bass you like, but thats only 10% of it. You wanna make sure you get a setup that will last you and where the amps aren't maxed out all the time. More power = a little extra adjustability for tuning characteristics. I 've had focals before and loved them, but they want an arm and a leg for em and they don't perform any better than memphis or similar. I have had my current system for 3 yrs now and it has not caused me one issue, besides my screen getting stolen.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Not to hijack, but does anyone know anything about Digital Designs or Audioque?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM

I've seen the DD excursions at a SPL shootout....they do really good for their size. They are coming up. I believe they test their speakers underwater and use a different magnet material. I'll stick to Memphis and Kicker though, if you want serious bass and have the room some MOJOs will rip your ears off!!! My bud (Kenny and Ricky Davis, Breakaway Auto Glass) has a competition truck with 4 15" Mojos pushing almost 80,000watts!!!! He turns it on at the shop to clean his ceiling!!!