3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

SORRY..another muffler question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:08 PM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SORRY..another muffler question.

Ive had my truck a few months now and I told myself that I was going to keep it stock. Well, today I heard another Dodge next to me at the stoplight and man, did it sound awesome.

Since we have a 4" system from the factory, I just want to change out the muffler. I'm looking for something louder and deeper in tone, but nothing too extreme. I've looked into MBRP and Magnaflow. Anybody have any suggestions as to what muffler would be best for me? I'm not looking for a straight pipe and I want to keep the cat, mainly for warranty issues.

I really hope I'm not catching the "bug". Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 PM

I really enjoy my MBRP muffler. And with the cat in place it keeps it perfectly quiet in the cab with an awesome rumble outside
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Ditto what HorseHauler said. I noticed a deeper tone at idle and only slightly louder at WOT. Overall very mellow inside the cab.

Edited to add: The muffler is the only thing I changed, the rest of the system is stock. The MBRP muffler since it is straight through and shorter than the stock muffler comes with an adapter pipe and has the hangers welded on to go in the stock locations. Getting the old muffler off was the hardest part of the install. Did the swap in my driveway with the help of a buddy for an extra set of hands. Everything just bolts right into place.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

I would get any of the above, MBRP, Nelson, Donaldson.. You should like any of those...

Shane
Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 PM

Just put a 40" Nelson in, 4" in and out staight through for $67 CDN, pics in my gallery.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 PM

If it was a second gen truck you heard at that light it won't matter what muffler you run, your not going to get there.
Man do I miss the sound of my old truck...
Old 03-03-2007, 08:06 AM

I've got the MBRP direct replacement muffler on mine. It's part# 96116. Just pull the old muffler and put this one in. It's pricey, but worth it since you don't need a muffler shop to do anything. I went with the cat "test" pipe also. It might be too loud for some people, but I love it. Get a hold of Lary and he can get you one for pretty cheap.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:17 AM

Mine sounds pretty good with out the kat and retaining the stock muffler. Nowhhere near as good as my straigt piped 99 tough.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:21 AM
MTC

Thanks, appreciate the responses...The truck I heard was '03 or better.

Whos Lary, and where do I contact him? The other question I had that I forgot to ask was which length do I order? I believe they come in lengths of 18", 24", and 30"(MBRP)...and are the stainless ones really worth the extra money?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

Larry is the man!! He is the supervisor here... At the top of every page is says in black Click here for great deals from DTR.. DTR has it's own store.. So help support DTR!!

Shane
Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by MTC
Thanks, appreciate the responses...The truck I heard was '03 or better.

Whos Lary, and where do I contact him? The other question I had that I forgot to ask was which length do I order? I believe they come in lengths of 18", 24", and 30"(MBRP)...and are the stainless ones really worth the extra money?
Just click on the "SHOP DTR!!" link close to the top of the page. Make sure you call Lary direct to get the best price. The 96116 is a direct replacement for the stock exhaust. Any other muffler and you'll need some extra pipe to complete the install.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

ditch the muffler, keep the cat, presto!!

brett
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Check out my signature. The FloPro 24" sounds great. You'll have a little fabrication to do as the stock muffler is off-set. It produces that deep rumble that the CTD is famous for. Not overly noisy at cruise on the highway. Don't forget to install a nice 4" to 5" SS exhaust tip to finish the job. You'll be lookin' and soundin' good.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:08 PM
MTC

I went to Larry's site, but there is no 96116 listed...If I do go MBRP, do I need the 30" long by 6" round?? What about the offset on the stock exhaust(the MBRP is straight through), would I need to fabricate something to make it work? How about the stainless vs. alum...is stainless worth the extra $$$?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by MTC
I went to Larry's site, but there is no 96116 listed...If I do go MBRP, do I need the 30" long by 6" round?? What about the offset on the stock exhaust(the MBRP is straight through), would I need to fabricate something to make it work? How about the stainless vs. alum...is stainless worth the extra $$$?
MK96116 (comes with offset pipe)

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/sthiflmu206e.html

Installing mine tomorrow...planning to use lap joint band clamps....$8.35 per from Rock Auto.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: SORRY..another muffler question.