3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Soouthbend Street Dual Disk

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not be happy with a clutch like dun98's, his post is why I didn't want a DD, my OFE is great.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 AM

I've been reading clutch threads, seems those with DD's are 50/50 happy/unhappy, same seems to apply to the SD's too. I have read a lot of stuff about noise, vibrations, hard shifting, etc - applies to both types of clutches, and then those who have them for the most part like them anyway??

I probably will be in the market for a clutch in the not too distant future. In fact, I am looking to go ahead and get a clutch/hydraulics and have it sitting on the shelf ready to install it when mine bites the dust, may even install it sooner if mine starts to act unusual - but then, it seems to act somewhat unusual anyway sometimes but has been that way since it was new.

My problem is that I use my truck for daily driving, towing - and heavy towing as well, some off road, just general overall use and I don't want to get a clutch that cannot go the distance doing everything I put my truck through that is well suited for it all without one thing being perfect and another being a nuisance to drive. While I have not modded my truck to any great extent, I do run the Smarty Jr, have a few goodies that are geared toward a little hp/performance gain. I may look at an aftermarket turbo like the Silver which is supposed to be excellent for towing and EGT's, a cam that is more towing/performance applicable, so I am thinking about a clutch that can handle a little more hp over stock, but not crazy hp.

There does not seem to be a happy medium to aftermarket clutches does there?

CD
Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM

OFE is right up your alley.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Yes, it does look that way from all that I have read.

CD
Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dundun98
I have a Street 3250DD 12 button w/diaphragm pressure plate, and with the hyd. upgrade. Here's my experience. Goes into 1st, 2nd, or reverse really hard, Doesn't matter if you are completely stopped or not. It will grind going into 2nd rolling up to a light. It rattles when clutch push IN. Little loud when out. Leaves from a stop really jerky. Noticeable increase in pedal pressure, not unacceptable, but definitely much stiffer than stock. I don't know if any of this is "normal", but it's what mine behaves like. I like the clutch, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I can run the Smarty anywhere I want and can't slip the clutch, and throw what ever I want on the trucks back and it won't slip. I do want to get a Fuidampr HB for it though. In 5th, it vibrates the whole truck from the bottom of the power band through about 3/4 of the way to the top of 5th gear. This may or may not be the clutch, I don't know. I still want a Fluidampr harmonic on it though.
I agree 100%. Mine acts the same exact way. But id do it again no questions asked!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 PM

I have the South Bend ductile 3250 and love it except trying to back up slowly it gets really jerky. It will hold up to third gear boosted launches though.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by dundun98
I have a Street 3250DD 12 button w/diaphragm pressure plate, and with the hyd. upgrade. Here's my experience. Goes into 1st, 2nd, or reverse really hard, Doesn't matter if you are completely stopped or not. It will grind going into 2nd rolling up to a light. It rattles when clutch push IN. Little loud when out. Leaves from a stop really jerky. Noticeable increase in pedal pressure, not unacceptable, but definitely much stiffer than stock. I don't know if any of this is "normal", but it's what mine behaves like. I like the clutch, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I can run the Smarty anywhere I want and can't slip the clutch, and throw what ever I want on the trucks back and it won't slip. I do want to get a Fuidampr HB for it though. In 5th, it vibrates the whole truck from the bottom of the power band through about 3/4 of the way to the top of 5th gear. This may or may not be the clutch, I don't know. I still want a Fluidampr harmonic on it though.
This is pretty much what mine does. The shifting was less of an issue after some breakin time.

I can deal with the noise, as it's not that bad.....If you can't take the noise, go back to a gasser!

As a daily driver......I hate it! It growls on take off, it bucks like crazy while taking off, worse in reverse, it's so grabby that stalling it is an issue sometimes, and the vibes in 5th are horrible. I dont want to even think about what is happening inside the trans.

Towing......it's great! Put some weight behind the truck and it all smooths out.

Holds anything I have thown at it. 500+ hp I had at one time, 3rd boosted launches, and 50 mph burnouts.