3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

snow plows-been looking

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
snow plows-been looking

i have been looking and i have narrowed it down to a couple. one of my big concerns is the installation of the snow plow mount. i would obviously prefer one that doesn't require drilling a ton of holes,etc anybody have any experience/input with a particular brand on a 3rd gen heavy duty ram? thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diamond/Meyer snow plows

I put a Diamond plow on my truck which is made by and uses the same truck mount as meyer. I think I had to drill 6 holes 2 on each side but only through the outside of the frame rail for diagonal not all the way through . The other two holes are 1 on each side behind the existing bumper mount bolts.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:50 PM

I would try Fisher plows. I am not sure if you need to drill or not but IMHO they're one of the best trip edge plows out there.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:18 PM

fisher is among a couple brands on my short list.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:03 PM

I had a Boss V-plow on my 03 Hemi, I just drilled out my frame to put the same plow on my 05 CTD. It was 3 holes I had to drill, that is probably standard for most brands, my old Meyer plow was 3 in my 99 Ram. Drilling the holes didn't make me cringe as much as having to sawsall the fairing b/c I have a sport model. But everything is black so it is tough to tell how bad it looks. You will have plenty of Brand Wars with the "which brand" question. GO for the closest dealer with the best support I believe that is the most important thing. That part you'll need at 3 in the morning will be tough to get online or 50 miles away.......get what I am saying?

Dan
Old 11-20-2005, 12:18 AM

look into a snow way plow. or a western. i'm not sure about how many holes are drilled but both are very good plows. i like the snow way cause it has a cordless controller and you can power down. just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 AM

I notice you guys are from New York, and you are talking about putting snowplows on the front of your trucks.I know you get some really bad storms, but has the amount of snow you get been increasing the last 5 years or so, plus the intensity of the storms, or has it always been about the same as it is now?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTed
I notice you guys are from New York, and you are talking about putting snowplows on the front of your trucks.I know you get some really bad storms, but has the amount of snow you get been increasing the last 5 years or so, plus the intensity of the storms, or has it always been about the same as it is now?

Funny you say that!! I live in Staten Island, Which is now being called "little Mexico" , Anyway, over here, everybody with a 4 wheel drive vehicle, (notice I said vehicle, not truck) has there plows out the minute a snowflake is spotted in the air!! I'm waiting for the day to see a 4WD Subaru WRX, with a fart in a coffee can muffler and a plow!! This island is 7mi X 14mi give or take, and I think we have a Vehicle with plow, per road ratio now!! I used to have a buddies truck with a plow about 7 yrs ago, and it was getting bad back than, wasnt even worth it, because there were 1,000 plows that always "got there before you". I'ts more of a "masculine" thing here to have a plow, than a bussiness or necessity. Ive seen little 2.8 S-10's with plows on them so big, the back end wants to lift off the ground!! the way it is around here with plows is kind of comical and pathetic at the same time. They'll spend almost 3 grand on a set up, drive around with it from Sept. till April, and they'll get rid of the truck before they even make the money back to pay for the plow!! I know, Im ranting, but its just so stupid!!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 AM

turbo ted- about the same-i guess- some winters milder than others. seems to be cyclical. i am in western new york. last thursday-south of buffalo (about 35 minutes from me) got hit with lake effect snow off of lake erie. they got any where from a foot to two feet of snow. i got nothing! i live one mile from lake ontario myself-so, obviously my lake effect snow comes off of this lake. that is what is interested here with lake effect snow. i can get pounded with two feet of snow, but 15 miles away they can have green grass. weather man says we may be for some good amount of snow this coming week-tuesday or wednesday!
Old 11-20-2005, 10:58 AM

"Up here"(Alberta) it's not unusual to get big dumps, or longggggg winters. We pretty much rely on the companies contracted to keep our roads clear, unless you live on a farm or acreage, and are doing driveways, etc. on your own property. Would you believe we were out hunting and fly fishing yesterday, and our temp. was close to 70F!! That's pretty much unheard of for North- central Alberta at this time of year. 2 years ago we got a moose at about 11AM around this same time of year, and it was 30 belowF!! Today I'm putting up X-mas lights, then heading out for more fly fishin'.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:55 PM

snoway-western-fisher are the ones i am looking at. i am leaning towards the snoway.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 PM

Buy Fisher.
As long as you have a local dealer so you can get parts in a reasonable amount of time. I'm in NE Massachusetts, nice heavy snow like you've got. You will benefit from spending a little more now and not having a useless plow first big storm. Most Fisher dealers are open during storms for emergency parts, fluid, whatever you need. They are open because everyone professionally running a snowplow is running a Fisher (I'm sure I'll get a little argument here) I've got an X-blade on my Ram most of the guys plowing here use heavy dutys but I had to have stainless! They are great plows, I've seen alot of cheaper ones, you really can tell. From cheap construction to the 1980's Atrai controller that clamps to your door for the plow control (be carefull not to trip on the wire harness). Fisher is the way to go, particularly with the heavy snow in the North East..Fisher is right in Maine they test their stuff is this weather! I think I had to drill 4 holes for mine, maybe 6. Good Luck.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:12 PM

zCheck out the Blizzard snowplows I used to install them and our dodges don't have to have the frame drilled to install them
Old 11-20-2005, 09:14 PM

zCheck out the Blizzard snowplows I used to install them and our dodges don't have to have the frame drilled to install them
You scare me... Aren't you in Fl.?? What could you possibly need a snowplow for??
Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 PM

I am looking at this Curtis Plow it has aautomatic hydrolic jack stand that automaticaly comes up when you lift the plow and it is Made Mass.
http://www.curtiscabs.com/snow_plows.html

Quick Reply: snow plows-been looking