3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Snow Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I had once looked for 'heet', it's a gas line dryer, and it says to use that as a subsitute for the snow fluid that snow sells, but it said methal alochol, and not methanol, so I didn't use it.

I dilute my WW fluid to 50/50... am I stupid? Should I run it straight?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

DOH!!! I just looked up methel alcohol, and it is methanol... DUMMY!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
I had once looked for 'heet', it's a gas line dryer, and it says to use that as a subsitute for the snow fluid that snow sells, but it said methal alochol, and not methanol, so I didn't use it.

I dilute my WW fluid to 50/50... am I stupid? Should I run it straight?
There are 2 different kinds of "HEET" one blue, the other yellow bottle. The yellow is what you want and is bascally 99% meth. Methanol, Methyl Alcohol and Ethyl Alcohol are basically different names for the same stuff.

If you are using WW fluid, you need to know what dilution ratio it already is. If it is already a 50/50 mix (like the snow boost juice) then you can run it straight if you want, or dilute further to your liking... which depends on your goal. If you want more cooling... use more water, (or 100% water); if you want more power, use more meth... don't go over the 50/50 mix though
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Funny, I used 100% water, because I bought this system primarly for cooling, but a 50/50 mix of water and WW fluid gave me better cooling.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
... don't go over the 50/50 mix though
Like 60/60?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Uhhh... 60 60 is 120%... great in wall street, bad in liquids...

Don't go over 50% meth, i.e. 10% water and 90% meth.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:23 PM

I think some of the WW fluids also has detergents and aromatic chemicals in them but I don't know if it would be a problem........

BTW, I have an Edge Juice. Do you think I can tap into the wires from the pyrometer that the Juice uses? Or do I have to drill and tap another pyro? Would I get a false pyro reading with the two units using the same probe wires?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by texasredrider
I think some of the WW fluids also has detergents and aromatic chemicals in them but I don't know if it would be a problem........

BTW, I have an Edge Juice. Do you think I can tap into the wires from the pyrometer that the Juice uses? Or do I have to drill and tap another pyro? Would I get a false pyro reading with the two units using the same probe wires?
You need to drill and tap for sure; don't try to run two pyros off the same lead. I have found the K-type thermocoupler the snow unit is using to be very fast reacting too.

Also, any WW that is using detergents is very bad JUJU.. don't do it... unless you like foam entering into your cylinders... hmm.. might just clean out the carbon though
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

SO far I am seeing about 200* less at WOT... about 75* at cruise.
After a few weeks how do you like the Snow kit? I've got a Stage 3 waiting to be put on and was wanting to know your opinion and observations.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by lcaad1249
After a few weeks how do you like the Snow kit? I've got a Stage 3 waiting to be put on and was wanting to know your opinion and observations.
Also, how quick do you go through water/methanol with nomal driving or with hard driving?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

After a few weeks and the learning curve for it is now over, I like it. It does what it says, however, I don't think the fuel savings (I saw about ~2 increase when just cruising nicely) outweighs the cost of the meth. I had to run at 50/50 to see that. But I can't run at 50/50 when getting into it... then too much stuff and egts are not coming down. I have to run 100% water for real egt reduction. I will tell you I don't know how other guys with some power ran with just a 2 quart bottle... while I can't give any real estimates on "how much" I used and relate it to any way that makes sense-- I will tell you there is a good reason for the 7 gallon jug... I can go through that surprisingly fast when a heavy foot is employed. Their ads say you can get about 500-600 miles when just cruising... I suppose so... maybe.
On the whole I think it is a good investment for those that tow heavy or have big stix to cool.
The system is a little complicated to get installed, but once done it works very well with no problems.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
After a few weeks and the learning curve for it is now over, I like it. It does what it says, however, I don't think the fuel savings (I saw about ~2 increase when just cruising nicely) outweighs the cost of the meth. I had to run at 50/50 to see that. But I can't run at 50/50 when getting into it... then too much stuff and egts are not coming down. I have to run 100% water for real egt reduction. I will tell you I don't know how other guys with some power ran with just a 2 quart bottle... while I can't give any real estimates on "how much" I used and relate it to any way that makes sense-- I will tell you there is a good reason for the 7 gallon jug... I can go through that surprisingly fast when a heavy foot is employed. Their ads say you can get about 500-600 miles when just cruising... I suppose so... maybe.
On the whole I think it is a good investment for those that tow heavy or have big stix to cool.
The system is a little complicated to get installed, but once done it works very well with no problems.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
soulezoo:

Glad to hear you like your new Snow System. As you know, I once had an early Snow Water System on my 1996 Dodge CTD.

Boy, I clicked on that link to their site and MAN, that system is pricey! That is almost as much as I paid for my Scheid Water Injection System. I wanted to "back-up" what you said, that being, that I have always gotten the BEST EGT REDUCTION by using straight 100% distilled water in ALL the water systems I have had.

---------
John_P