3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smokin05 35 ohm MAP mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smokin05 35 ohm MAP mod

So is anyone else going to try the MAP mod?

MikeyB
Old 01-18-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it?

What are we trying to accomplish with this new mod?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:26 PM

This mod fakes the ECM via the MAP sensor into thinking there's boost all the time, so the ECM compensates by dumping more fuel in. Very similar to the 10k mod on the Powerstroke ICP. More fuel at lower boost, more smoke and when the boost level gets above the voltage threshhold everything is back to normal.

MikeyB
Old 01-18-2006, 05:30 PM

is the map safe and will it fit in an 05? i already have the juice with additude will it work with it and if so how much does it cost and how much more smoke will it put out?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Which wires are you tapping?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so does it think you are making boost at idle? If so how much? that would kind of suck for the old fuel economy.

I think this would be a cheap mod but I would like some thing that kicked in at a bit higher rpm all the time. wonder if someone makes an rpm activted switch that has enough resolution to have it kick it at say 1k so you are not just dumping fuel in at idle. this way the minute you actually gave it gas you would have fuel but not just idling.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:15 PM

Hognutz,
I don't know the answer to that question. But I'm hoping the ECM ignores the boost signal and only uses the APPS at idle so it doesn't over fuel.

MikeyB
Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it could be worked around even if it did not. there would be more than one way to skin that cat.

was the 35ohm value really mathmatically calculated or is it just a guess. I am just thinking outloud but you might be able to vary the amout of boost fooling by just adding a potentiometer. some kind of switch to diable at idle and a fairly narrow window of resistace ajustment might give you some control.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Chapter President

Anybody have any more info on this? This is the first thread I've read about this.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

I think this mod was started by someone a few days ago trying to sell people information on a website for $25.

"Very similar to the 10k mod on the Powerstroke ICP."

No. Not even close.

The 10K mod on a Powerstroke fools the ECM into thinking the high pressure oil pressure is lower than what it actually is, effectively making the ECM command a higher oil pressure than what the engine usually runs at. Because of this the injectors operate at a higher oil pressure and deliver a bit more fuel.

This mod attempts to fool the ECM into thinking that there is more manifold pressure than what there actually is. As a result, *sometimes* the ECM will command the injectors to deliver more fuel than what they normally would.

HOWEVER, there are a couple problems:

a) there are two air pressure sensors on the ISBs. One in the intake manifold otherwise known as a MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and the other in the air intake pipe near the air filter. At startup, before the engine is running, the ECM compares the pressure it reads at the air intake with that of the MAP sensor. The two have to agree, otherwise the ECM sets a code and goes into a limp type mode where it estimates manifold pressure rather than using the actual manifold pressure.

b) The ECM will throttle back fuel delivery if it senses overboost. It isn't clear what exactly is being done with the resistor mentioned here. If it is used to change the pressure/voltage curve of the MAP sensor, it will send an over pressure signal to the ECM at high manifold pressures and the ECM will cut back the fuel accordingly. Thus the engine makes LESS power.

I don't understand why one would want either of these conditions to occur. The engine doesn't make more power. All it does is smoke if it is gotten to work at all.

Whoever thought of this mod didn't research it very well.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:34 PM

look the 35 ohm works good any lower resistance...it throws a code yes it was calculated 2+2=5 right? ha ha anyways it does not change the fule at idel but there is also a way to bump the top end boost to about 25% more and it helps w/ power but adding fule w/ this really really helps! i dont know about boxes dont have enough money to go buy every box made and try it out this was a money saver mod i have figured out three so far....the 35 ohm is the mildest and it just makes the motor fuel a little quicker on take off ...thats it after say 1300 rpms its all back to normal...and yes you can take it off at any time w/ out any evidence if you do it right ....i would not lie on here about what works...its against the rules!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned

its "fuel", not "fule".

"it does not change the fule at idel"

Its "idle", not "idel".

Of course it won't change the fuel at idle. At idle the fuel control is closed loop on the engine RPM. It takes the same fuel to idle the engine whether the ECM thinks it has 14.7 PSIa or 18 PSIa of manifold pressure.

"2+2=5"

More like IAP is 14.7 PSIa and MAP is 18 PSIa and the two don't agree, so the ECM will ignore the MAP sensor. It will also cut the fuel back when maximum boost (ie MAP) is sensed.

I've said my piece.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:42 PM

look here it is guys ...i laugh some peopel on here not to bash...but they write off ideas...before they know what they are talking about...! look 35ohms from the hot yellow/pink tracer 5v wire to the solid blue signal wire on the four wire map/temp sensor..changes the output voltage at atmospheric pressure(sensor can read absolute zero...or true vaccume) is about 1.25v depending on elevation.....with the mod in place this voltage will change to 1.6v motor thinks the turbo is barely making some good boost so it throws the fuel a little early= no turbo lag=quick out of the hole...i know i did all three of these mods and i can slip my clutch @3/4 pedel in every gear....i am still testing the second and third levels so as soon as i think they are cool i will explane them further so have fun w/ the twenty cent level one holcomizer

put that in you pipe and smoke it! mr. it wont work! j/k
Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 PM

look i cant type too well you got me there but any time you want to go head to head on electrical ...throw down bubba i can do this in my sleep IT WORKS!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

"but any time you want to go head to head on electrical"

Why don't you explain to us the signals from the APPS and how they control the ECM ?

Quick Reply: Smokin05 35 ohm MAP mod