3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smoked my A5000 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Hey Allisfarmer,
Whens the truck pull in Martinsville?
i thinks its the end of july first of aug im not real sure ill have to check
Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Well...your HTS is finally going to take a beating...if you throw a stage 2 and good electronics through a A5k instead of your OEM wastegate. Its going to pull like you have never felt....

I post good...and I post bad. Basically I post every worthwhile experience I can in effort to help others and learn inturn myself.

I have loved my full ATS tranny, took the title for the most carnage they have ever seen (a shattered intermediate shaft wiped out my entire tranny... cases too for those that don't remember), and still love my ATS tranny after they set me up right again. Stronger shafts than before...the sky is the limit from them.

I loved my A5k..served me well for 100k...multiple daily floggings of 575 hp (yes I do actually drive with the hammer down at full power DAILY)...huffed puffed and towed way to heavy on it...before it finally let go. I was a little dissapointed when it happened...but that was soon to go when I recieved a quadzillion PM's, emails, calls etc that nobody could believed it lived that long...the way I used it. I guess I was a little NAIVE about the severity of my use and my expectations of lifespan...so I was happy about it again. ATS fixed it for a fair price...since it was outside of its 3 year 100k warranty (mine did not even really have a warranty...since I had one of the first..."proto" units before they even sold them)...and was even more happy. I installed in Shane's truck...and watched him become happy! (Too bad he couldn't handle a big single...lol) That turbo is going to make its next owner real happy for another 100k. That is one heck of a story...and a tribute to a solid piece of engineering/development/lifespan/customer service.

Bottom line...I am not affiliated with anyone...and I post the truth...good or bad through the thick or thin. SOME companies are appreciative of my use/abuse and feedback and have been more that kind dealing with me on the finacial terms, but I am not sponsored...LOL.

Just trying to help.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Try the larger exhaust housing if you don't tow or live up high...
mike... from ats said he put a 19 cm housing on it for me is that big enough?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Well...your HTS is finally going to take a beating...if you throw a stage 2 and good electronics through a A5k instead of your OEM wastegate. Its going to pull like you have never felt....

I post good...and I post bad. Basically I post every worthwhile experience I can in effort to help others and learn inturn myself.

I have loved my full ATS tranny, took the title for the most carnage they have ever seen (a shattered intermediate shaft wiped out my entire tranny... cases too for those that don't remember), and still love my ATS tranny after they set me up right again. Stronger shafts than before...the sky is the limit from them.

I loved my A5k..served me well for 100k...multiple daily floggings of 575 hp (yes I do actually drive with the hammer down at full power DAILY)...huffed puffed and towed way to heavy on it...before it finally let go. I was a little dissapointed when it happened...but that was soon to go when I recieved a quadzillion PM's, emails, calls etc that nobody could believed it lived that long...the way I used it. I guess I was a little NAIVE about the severity of my use and my expectations of lifespan...so I was happy about it again. ATS fixed it for a fair price...since it was outside of its 3 year 100k warranty (mine did not even really have a warranty...since I had one of the first..."proto" units before they even sold them)...and was even more happy. I installed in Shane's truck...and watched him become happy! (Too bad he couldn't handle a big single...lol) That turbo is going to make its next owner real happy for another 100k. That is one heck of a story...and a tribute to a solid piece of engineering/development/lifespan/customer service.

Bottom line...I am not affiliated with anyone...and I post the truth...good or bad through the thick or thin. SOME companies are appreciative of my use/abuse and feedback and have been more that kind dealing with me on the finacial terms, but I am not sponsored...LOL.

Just trying to help.
X2 on ATS. My tranny and twins have been taking beatings for 20K miles.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM

had 3000 miles on mine, turbo would build to about 40 psi and fall on its face and pour white smoke, did that four times, then bit the dust. with it acting up four times u'd think it would be defective, but no, not anything ats, cost me 1000 bucks cause they said it was my fault. if your gonna build and have the top of the line turbo, make it hold at least 55psi.
I liked it, would probably run it just to be a high hp truck, but getting great deal on twins.
Reminder, they sent me a new one, its in the classifieds.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by turbopwr
had 3000 miles on mine, turbo would build to about 40 psi and fall on its face and pour white smoke, did that four times, then bit the dust. with it acting up four times u'd think it would be defective, but no, not anything ats, cost me 1000 bucks cause they said it was my fault. if your gonna build and have the top of the line turbo, make it hold at least 55psi.
I liked it, would probably run it just to be a high hp truck, but getting great deal on twins.
Reminder, they sent me a new one, its in the classifieds.
thats too bad that happened. I would be very mad if I were you. but things do break. what did they say was the issues with it?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:13 AM

I dont think anybody deserves to have things break. whoever its made by thats not good. I hate to hear when someone breaks anything. we are all here for the same thing. I post bad and good too. I try to help anybody on info if somebody asks me. my truck is my hobby its all ive got.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM

I have no idea about this 55 psi comment. M ine saw 56-58 psio daily for 100k.

The 19 is the big one...good luck!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 PM

I have no idea about this 55 psi comment. M ine saw 56-58 psio daily for 100k.

The 19 is the big one...good luck!
did you have studs the whole time? what fueling did you have for that amount of boost? ive only got a 60psi gauge. that should be fun
Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM

No studs...drive pressure in my truck was a little lower than 1:1 at max boost.

I could only make 56-58 psi at 575 hp due to my lack of CP3...lol.

I don't think you will have a problem with a 60 psi boost gauge...with the bigger exhaust housing.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM

I was runnin tst crazy larry stack then, depending on settings would go up to 60 psi but most driveable and powerful was about 56psi.
They said that i coughed it, hello who does it to were a turbo will destroy and possible go through your motor. Shaft broke, how does the shaft act up 4 times, but still drive fine for ten miles then break under load, was holding 56psi then bomb.
It sucks, but what do you do, get a lawyer and fight it or just take what you get and be done with it.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:31 PM

Turbopwr,
Did you send them the bad one back?
Or did you keep it?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM

i would wrap my 60 psi guage at like 5/8 throttle.. is that bad? I put a 100 psi gauge on right before it blew so im not sure what it will make. im gonna put an external gate on it when i get it back i think. I know that it's hard to drive my truck with that turbo it surge's really bad.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DMS1707
i would wrap my 60 psi guage at like 5/8 throttle.. is that bad? I put a 100 psi gauge on right before it blew so im not sure what it will make. im gonna put an external gate on it when i get it back i think. I know that it's hard to drive my truck with that turbo it surge's really bad.
The Aurora can hit the 70psi area. But for a long life it is suggested to keep it under 60psi or so area.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
The Aurora can hit the 70psi area. But for a long life it is suggested to keep it under 60psi or so area.
do you think i should put a gate on it

Quick Reply: Smoked my A5000 turbo