3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smoked my A5000 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try the larger exhaust housing if you don't tow or live up high...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:25 AM

I think what you got outta yours is a testement to the a5k. I still wish I had the money to put together some twins with that turbo.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:36 AM

thats why he has a different tranny now because its built so well. I didnt say anything about the aurora being junk. im buying the one you sold to shane. I agree on the S300 thing they dont last with big power. but I can say what I want about what products I dont care for. Its freedom of speech.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:14 PM

Sure...we all have freedom of speach! I would never argue that...

The bottom line...some "speech" is more "substantial" than others...

Spreading false rumors around forums like this one is a disease...and diminishes the value of the site.

Here is my take...back on subject.

I have no comment on the tranny...I guess mark it off as bad luck.

The turbo...if it blew that quick, there was a defect.

I would measure drive pressure with the new one...to determine if you need a external wastegate or not...or at least the larger exhaust housing.

Pourin' has run his HARD with similar mods to you (I will leave myself out of this one...an attempt to no be biased)...time and time again with the smaller (normal Dodge) housing. No problems...

TONS of Duramaxs are running that turbo with huge numbers. Greyrig has posted huge numbers and crazy fast times...I imagine he has had to spend a bunch of time doing runs/dynos etc to get to that point (I don't know the actual mileage on the turbo)....but you get the point. Something was not right from the get go for that to happen.

I am sure ATS will fix/replace that turbo. Give it another shot before you move on.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am just calling it like I see it and I have seen 3 in the last 2 months posted on this board.....
I am not starting rumors
Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM

Dont get me wrong it's sweet turbo from what I have seen..just like you said tons are out there trouble free and making huge RECORD numbers
I was just saying I dont see many other brand turbo failures getting posted on here???
Old 06-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Defect...ATS will replace that turbo ASAP.

There have been only a couple of broken A5k's...and the trend starters go wild.

So many S-300 based turbos have been smoke for so many years...no one even bothers to notice. Now a half dozen of A5k's break in 3 years (I had mine for three years allready) and there are questions of longevity?

LOL
Exactly.

People also need to wake up to reality. Reality is that nothing is indestructable.

If anyone thinks anything is indestructable they are living in a dreamland.

I know of a story of another Aurora 5000 failing:

A shop from Minnesota ran one on their 2003 Cummins for almost 2 years and after 60k miles @ 600hp, hundreds (yes hundreds) of quarter mile passes, numerous sled pulls, and continuous thousands of huffs and barks from hard street driving. The turbo finally went kaput after the owner tried to rebuild it himself....

Yeah sounds real weak to me
Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Spreading false rumors around forums like this one is a disease...and diminishes the value of the site-posted by cquestad

then why did you post when you tore your a5k up? whats the difference? ya it had 100k miles on it. thats great. whats the difference? there is none. you wanna dog on guys for the same thing you did. thats not right.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
Spreading false rumors around forums like this one is a disease...and diminishes the value of the site-posted by cquestad

then why did you post when you tore your a5k up? whats the difference? ya it had 100k miles on it. thats great. whats the difference? there is none. you wanna dog on guys for the same thing you did. thats not right.
Jesse,
I have read this whole thread and Chris never dogged on the guy that posted about the failure.

Chris and myself are just trying to prevent "pile on" threads about a product that has otherwise served us very well and both trucks are proven. Its not just speculation coming from us.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:07 PM

here come the A5k lovers to hang me!!!
easy guys, i'm not bashing or spreading rummors. I alomst bought Shanes 5k..but did not have the fundage at the time.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Good smiley *****'s, I got a laugh out of it.

I can't figure out if Chris is the first one or me.....LOL.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******

here come the A5k lovers to hang me!!!
easy guys, i'm not bashing or spreading rummors. I alomst bought Shanes 5k..but did not have the fundage at the time.
if you want it I can sell it to you. I better sell it to you for it blows up on me actually ive waited to get it for a while, so im gonna blow it up on my own. I bet one thing. my hts wont let me down, it loves everyday of brutal power
Old 06-26-2007, 03:10 PM

im gonna sound like my dad but.... when you start moddin anything your gonna break it happens just be thankful they have a warrenty ...i suack at spelling
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM

Hey Allisfarmer,
Whens the truck pull in Martinsville?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
if you want it I can sell it to you. I better sell it to you for it blows up on me actually ive waited to get it for a while, so im gonna blow it up on my own. I bet one thing. my hts wont let me down, it loves everyday of brutal power
you will be fine I'm sure

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Good smiley *****'s, I got a laugh out of it.

I can't figure out if Chris is the first one or me.....LOL.
just trying to break the tension a little
Cheers

Originally Posted by allisfarmer
im gonna sound like my dad but.... when you start moddin anything your gonna break it happens just be thankful they have a warrenty ...i suack at spelling
I had to download the google toolbar(it has spell check) cause I am such a bad speller
Try it you will like it

Quick Reply: Smoked my A5000 turbo