3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smoked my A5000 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoked my A5000 turbo

Smoked my A5000 turbo...I have about 100 miles on it and yesterday after i torque my head for the last time. I got on the the highway on ramp and gave it like 3/4 throttle and the turbo went, white smoke everywhere and the impeller wheel is tuff to turn. I thought these turbo are supposed to be bad to the bone mybe not. for the passed year i havent been able to race or sled pull my rig cause something always goes wrong. I put all my money time and heart in my truck and it always breaks, i dont no what to do anymore. But anyways my turbo is broke and it sucks...am i the only one having all problems like this breaking all the time cause its getting old?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

sounds like a manuf. defect. hopefully the warranty will take care of everything...

brett
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
sounds like a manuf. defect. hopefully the warranty will take care of everything...

brett
I hope they do to..
Old 06-25-2007, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This seems to be happening more and more lately....I am beginning to question the longevity of this turbo
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by DMS1707
...I put all my money time and heart in my truck and it always breaks, i dont no what to do anymore. But anyways my turbo is broke and it sucks...am i the only one having all problems like this breaking all the time cause its getting old?

Nope you are not alone. I have been breaking stuff for the last year plus. I finally have it running pretty good. Still have a few bugs to work out and upgrade. But, you are not the only one going through that. I feel your pain. It is kind of disheartening at times, but in the long run, I know i wouldn't be happy with anything other than this truck so... as the saga continues, I will keep throwing time and money at it.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by CrashCade
Nope you are not alone. I have been breaking stuff for the last year plus. I finally have it running pretty good. Still have a few bugs to work out and upgrade. But, you are not the only one going through that. I feel your pain. It is kind of disheartening at times, but in the long run, I know i wouldn't be happy with anything other than this truck so... as the saga continues, I will keep throwing time and money at it.
For sure i love my truck..but after like 25 trannys and converters ,5 sets of injectors a couple turbos and headgaskets it get you alittle mad sometimes...but when they run they run...lol
Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For sure i love my truck..but after like 25 trannys and converters ,5 sets of injectors a couple turbos and headgaskets it get you alittle mad sometimes...but when they run they run...lol
whos tranny are you blowing???(brand)
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
whos tranny are you blowing???(brand)
ATS... they just couldnt get it right for me i even drove all the way over there to get it dialed in didnt happen.. there custermer service is awsome they went out there way for me to try to get it right. its just been to crazy, 2 years of problems. And all the tranny work i did in the dirt at my house fun!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 PM

ATS... they just couldnt get it right for me i even drove all the way over there to get it dialed in didnt happen.. there custermer service is awsome they went out there way for me to try to get it right. its just been to crazy, 2 years of problems. And all the tranny work i did in the dirt at my house fun!!!!!!
im not cutting on your truck in any way. ats trannies are very overrated in my opinion. the turbo thing sucks because I have an a5k coming also. there was a guy on here that roasted his 5000 in ky. then he put a new one back on here for sale. you have thousands in your truck I understand your frustrations. I get very mad when I put mods on mine that are supposedly "awesome" and it runs bad. hopefully they send you a new one.
everybody says a guy left from ats and started his own thing and now there quality has went downhill
Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by jwb600
im not cutting on your truck in any way. ats trannies are very overrated in my opinion. the turbo thing sucks because I have an a5k coming also. there was a guy on here that roasted his 5000 in ky. then he put a new one back on here for sale. you have thousands in your truck I understand your frustrations. I get very mad when I put mods on mine that are supposedly "awesome" and it runs bad. hopefully they send you a new one.
everybody says a guy left from ats and started his own thing and now there quality has went downhill
ats has some cool stuff im not gonna lie.the tranny issue was a mess but its fixed now with a nadp thing bad..there gonna send me a new turbo but im not sure how it will hold my truck make a lot of power and has a lot of fuel..
Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 AM

You ever think that just maybe your running your truck a little too hard!!?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 AM

It will be interesting to see what went wrong. It is no different than any other turbo....Too much drive pressure versus intake pressure.... I you are fueling hard with a K31 with a stock or lightly modified cool lines, intake manifold, intercooler, non ported head, stock cam....and that much fuel....good-bye turbo. To be smart you need an external wastegate or the new turbo will only last 100miles....and they will get tired of fixing you turbo for free. That turbo is only good for maybe 70psi. With that fueling you could make 90psi...that is the problem...You could probably use a gated s400 , but should have twins. ks
Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
You ever think that just maybe your running your truck a little too hard!!?
i wish i broke it running hard.but everytime its when i test drive it somthing goes wrong. its gettin old.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 AM

Its like they always say.....YOU PLAY, YOU PAY !!!! LOL I just wish it wasn't so expensive
Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Defect...ATS will replace that turbo ASAP.

Whoever thinks ATS trannies are overated are wrong...everything can break.

There have been only a couple of broken A5k's...and the trend starters go wild.

So many S-300 based turbos have been smoke for so many years...no one even bothers to notice. Now a half dozen of A5k's break in 3 years (I had mine for three years allready) and there are questions of longevity?

LOL

Quick Reply: Smoked my A5000 turbo