3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smoke switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:03 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What is the purpose of this in the first place, so you can smoke out people and knock down the reputation of the diesel engine a couple of notches?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Would You Want To Put A Part On Your Truck That Makes It Smoke. Your Just Wasting Fuel. I Dont Understand? Sure My Truck Has Smoked Before, And When I Get It Back Next Week It Will Probably Be Able To Smoke Like A Coal Fed Locomotive. But I Would Never Buy A Part That Just Makes Your Truck Smoke.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
What is the purpose of this in the first place, so you can smoke out people and knock down the reputation of the diesel engine a couple of notches?
Or maybe its the fact that the truck spools faster and definetly had more power when everything was working right

Im sorry if i like the ability to blow a little soot every now and then

Please dont do this to me....im just looking for some help
Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBeast
Why Would You Want To Put A Part On Your Truck That Makes It Smoke. Your Just Wasting Fuel. I Dont Understand? Sure My Truck Has Smoked Before, And When I Get It Back Next Week It Will Probably Be Able To Smoke Like A Coal Fed Locomotive. But I Would Never Buy A Part That Just Makes Your Truck Smoke.
I would in a heartbeat
Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 PM

I havent bought any parts to make it smoke, i used a peice of wire and two connectors
Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

either way buying parts or twisting wires to produce cluouds of smoke. Pump up your enging and you will be able to blow smoke and for a good reason you have power.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But I Would Never Buy A Part That Just Makes Your Truck Smoke.

LMAO!! Now THAT is hilarious considering the smoke makers on your truck.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
No, that is not the purpose.

The ECU severely limits the fuel under 1800 rpm's and 12 psi of boost and most boxes respect that and don't fuel hard down low. This is just a cheap effective way to spool the turbo faster and get things rolling quicker.

With stock fueling there is not a lot of smoke and the turbo defintely spools faster and the truck moves better. With fueling enhancements it can get quite smokey but a little care will limit smoke.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoodOleKyle
Ok so i tried this little mod out last night and it worked, sorta. The smoke would roll and i was giddy, riding around blowing clouds, then i pulled back in the driveway to show my wife, popped it in neutral and hit it a little. The truck shot to 3600 rpms, and stayed there with my foot off the pedal for about 3 seconds. I tired it again and the same thing happened.

I shut the truck off, then later came back out and cranked it up. Had a CEL on and the code was p 0236. I backed out of the driveway, hit the pedal, almost no power, maybe 1/4 of its regular power. So i unplugged my new smoke mod, drove around a little, then the power came back after about 5 minutes. Hooked the wire back up, smokin again and running strong. I went to sleep happy.

This morning, no power, still has the CEL on. unplugged the wire, power comes back. Drive down the road, hook the wire back up, had smoke and power for about 3 minutes and then back to 1/4 power mode.

When the mod is turned on, my boost gauge reads 39 psi at idle, in fact, all the time. I thought this was weird but it could make sense, because all this mod does is fool the map sensor into thinking it has full boost....

Any ideas on whats going on?

I want smoke
P0236 MAP Sensor too high too long

Jumping the wire without limiting the voltage will set this code and put the ECU into limp mode. The voltage needs to be limited to about 4 volts to keep the ECU happy.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

Sounds like a bunch of silly non sense. Theres actually someone talking about how there programmer is working but not with the smoke opiton on. He keeps trying to get it run with the smoke setting even though your blowing codes. I think this hilarious. If my truck would have lots of power and no smoke I would be so happy. Cleaning up smoke=Gaining power
Old 12-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoodOleKyle
Ok so i tried this little mod out last night and it worked, sorta. The smoke would roll and i was giddy, riding around blowing clouds, then i pulled back in the driveway to show my wife, popped it in neutral and hit it a little. The truck shot to 3600 rpms, and stayed there with my foot off the pedal for about 3 seconds. I tired it again and the same thing happened.

I shut the truck off, then later came back out and cranked it up. Had a CEL on and the code was p 0236. I backed out of the driveway, hit the pedal, almost no power, maybe 1/4 of its regular power. So i unplugged my new smoke mod, drove around a little, then the power came back after about 5 minutes. Hooked the wire back up, smokin again and running strong. I went to sleep happy.

This morning, no power, still has the CEL on. unplugged the wire, power comes back. Drive down the road, hook the wire back up, had smoke and power for about 3 minutes and then back to 1/4 power mode.

When the mod is turned on, my boost gauge reads 39 psi at idle, in fact, all the time. I thought this was weird but it could make sense, because all this mod does is fool the map sensor into thinking it has full boost....

Any ideas on whats going on?

I want smoke

kyle, are you sure that you are hooked to the dark blue wire and not the light blue one? the gauge reading high is because it is getting its signal from the map wire you are jumping to full boost. i dont know if it will work properly with an xzt, i know it works great with the standard and race boxes. minehas been on 2 months and no trouble at all.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
P0236 MAP Sensor too high too long

Jumping the wire without limiting the voltage will set this code and put the ECU into limp mode. The voltage needs to be limited to about 4 volts to keep the ECU happy.
Yeah, i thought i read that the red wire in the quad wire harness was only 5 volts.....is that too much?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
kyle, are you sure that you are hooked to the dark blue wire and not the light blue one? the gauge reading high is because it is getting its signal from the map wire you are jumping to full boost. i dont know if it will work properly with an xzt, i know it works great with the standard and race boxes. minehas been on 2 months and no trouble at all.

Yep, im definetly hooked to the darker of the two blue wires. Is 39 PSI the limit that the factory map sensor can see? That seems to me like it would be the only reason for my recon to read 39psi.

And thanks for the help guys. Maybe Quad will check in on this thread and have an idea what is going on with my xzt.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:33 PM

I can see 40 to 42 psi with my XZT and Commander at WOT.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:09 PM

MAP Sensor can only read 38-40psi, any value higher is beyond the limits. There might be something different between the Recon and the Commander electronically, but to read beyond the 40 limit of the sensor suggest either a sensor that is slightly more capable or a calibration of the sensor that is higher (if it can be calibrated). Electronics can be exact, that said, only in rocket science applications. Variables in circuitry CAN be pretty broad.

CD

Quick Reply: smoke switch