3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smoke switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke switch

i over heard a couple of guys talking about somthing you can put on your truck that tricks your trucks computer into beleiving that your under full boost thus over fueling injectors and causeing quite a beautiful seen of smoke. does anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 PM

i want one
Old 12-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Chapter President

Thats is only availible with like the Quadzilla box on the Third Gens

IIRC
Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Banned

do you have a quad module on a CR 3rd gen? here is the tip for those who have one and want to play some more.

on the quad harness under the dash. find the red and dark blue wires, not the light blue(red is 5vdc power supply to the sensors, and the dark blue is the map sensor output to the ecm) install T taps. use a simple on/off switch. do not use one that requires 12vdc to energize an indicator light. get a 2 wire switch. connect the switch to each of the t taps.

turn on the switch and take off at WOT. you will get more smoke than just with the quad, not a huge cloud, but acceptable smoke until the turbo spools. you will get slightly faster spool due to the quicker fueling.

all this mod does is trick the ecm that you are at full boost(map) when you are really at low boost levels, and give max fuel. it does not increase fuel pressure, so no worries. i have run it for 2 months with no troubles or cel.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 PM

can this be done w/ a tst programmer
Old 12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
do you have a quad module on a CR 3rd gen? here is the tip for those who have one and want to play some more.

on the quad harness under the dash. find the red and dark blue wires, not the light blue(red is 5vdc power supply to the sensors, and the dark blue is the map sensor output to the ecm) install T taps. use a simple on/off switch. do not use one that requires 12vdc to energize an indicator light. get a 2 wire switch. connect the switch to each of the t taps.

turn on the switch and take off at WOT. you will get more smoke than just with the quad, not a huge cloud, but acceptable smoke until the turbo spools. you will get slightly faster spool due to the quicker fueling.

all this mod does is trick the ecm that you are at full boost(map) when you are really at low boost levels, and give max fuel. it does not increase fuel pressure, so no worries. i have run it for 2 months with no troubles or cel.
Is this very smart to do? Does it hurt anything, or make the truck any quicker?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by haloman
Thats is only availible with like the Quadzilla box on the Third Gens

IIRC

Not exactly true. It can be done on a stock truck. Bypass the the boost sensor part of the MAP and limit the voltage using a Zener diode. A nice little cloud of smoke and quicker turbo pooling in low boost conditions.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssleeper94
can this be done w/ a tst programmer
TST isn't a programmer, its a module/ box...and nope...Quad deal only.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

no trouble, no issues, no breakage, as long as you use the dark blue(not light blue wire) and do not install one of those swithes that have a built indicator light.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
TST isn't a programmer, its a module/ box...and nope...Quad deal only.

It works on a TST also. Do the same as the quad box and jump the power wire to the TST boost lead and it will fuel hard with no boost.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM

doing this will probaly void yalls warantys, on yall boxes, im not going to jack with mine cause soon as i do something will hapen to the box and ill be screwed
Old 12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

i got the idea and know how from quad himself. hmm.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
It works on a TST also. Do the same as the quad box and jump the power wire to the TST boost lead and it will fuel hard with no boost.
In theory you could do it with any box that has the appropriate wire. but who would recomend that on a TST due to the nature of the TST? I sure wouldn't try it!

In the words of Luken, Crazy Larry provides all the smoke anyone should need.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:45 AM

I guess adjusting the low boost fueling on my Attitude is essentially doing the same thing as a smoke switch on a quad?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Ok so i tried this little mod out last night and it worked, sorta. The smoke would roll and i was giddy, riding around blowing clouds, then i pulled back in the driveway to show my wife, popped it in neutral and hit it a little. The truck shot to 3600 rpms, and stayed there with my foot off the pedal for about 3 seconds. I tired it again and the same thing happened.

I shut the truck off, then later came back out and cranked it up. Had a CEL on and the code was p 0236. I backed out of the driveway, hit the pedal, almost no power, maybe 1/4 of its regular power. So i unplugged my new smoke mod, drove around a little, then the power came back after about 5 minutes. Hooked the wire back up, smokin again and running strong. I went to sleep happy.

This morning, no power, still has the CEL on. unplugged the wire, power comes back. Drive down the road, hook the wire back up, had smoke and power for about 3 minutes and then back to 1/4 power mode.

When the mod is turned on, my boost gauge reads 39 psi at idle, in fact, all the time. I thought this was weird but it could make sense, because all this mod does is fool the map sensor into thinking it has full boost....

Any ideas on whats going on?

I want smoke

Quick Reply: smoke switch