3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty won't Work

I just received my new Smarty POD S-06 in the mail yesterday. Today when I went to install it, it wouldn't/ couldn't establish a connection. It just kept telling me to turn key off>, turn key on>, over and over and over again. I did this 15-20 times unhooked it, checked wire connections and started over. But again it all it said was turn key off and turn key on over and over. I unhooked it again, hooked it back up and tried running the codes on the truck but again all it said to do was turn key off turn key on over and over.

Has anyone else had this trouble? Could it be a faulty box?? This programmer is brand new never used, it was still in the plastic. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kurran
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When you first plug it in does it show the model and version on the screen? Does it let you look for codes?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 AM

Yes it shows the model and version on the screen. When you push 1 for the ECM or 2 for codes, then it just keeps telling me to turn my key off and on.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kurran
I just received my new Smarty POD S-06 in the mail yesterday. Today when I went to install it, it wouldn't/ couldn't establish a connection. It just kept telling me to turn key off> , turn key on>, over and over and over again. I did this 15-20 times unhooked it, checked wire connections and started over. But again it all it said was turn key off and turn key on over and over. I unhooked it again, hooked it back up and tried running the codes on the truck but again all it said to do was turn key off turn key on over and over.

Has anyone else had this trouble? Could it be a faulty box?? This programmer is brand new never used, it was still in the plastic. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kurran
Just a thought but after you turn the key back on you do have press the ">" to get the Smarty to start it's programming. It's an easy step to overlook and is required several times as the programming is finishing the process. Good luck.

Second thought ---->
Well after a reread of your post I think my thought above is wrong. I haven't downloaded any tunes in a while but I think it should say "connecting to the vehicle" as soon as the key goes back on. Sorry, I thought I may have stumbled on something.
You may want to reload the REVO or the TNT-R software from the web just to be sure it all got loaded correctly. Otherwise, contact the Mads Electronics assistance or maybe even Bob Wagner at ----> http://smartypower.com/new/contact.html

Bob's helped me out several times on upgrading my Smarty.

Last edited by tantruck; 03-31-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: A rethink of problem
Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're still having trouble I agree to contact Bob. He'll get ya going quickly!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:28 PM

You just go to their website and click the REVO and download it and click the TNT-R and download it. Is that all you do???
Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kurran
You just go to their website and click the REVO and download it and click the TNT-R and download it. Is that all you do???
I wish it was that simple. I have stumbled through the update process a couple of times after I had a computer crash. I'm getting too old to learn new tricks, ha, ha.

Go to the FAQ section and see what you come up with. All I can say is review the instructional video on how to do the updates on their site.

Be sure to download the 7-Zip program that will extract the Smarty files after the web download. The Smarty file should have an extension of ".smt" once it is extracted and can then be uploaded to the hand held unit.

It's not hard but it takes a few steps the first time to get everything set-up.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Finally got my Smarty loaded on my truck yesterday! Just wanted to thank yall for all the help getting me intouch with the right people.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM

Kurran, what did you end up doing to get it to connect? I am having the same issue.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:57 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You know, that is a one and a half year old thread...

Usually the problem is the program is not loaded correctly or an incompatible program.

Best to contact smarty as advised above and you'll get the same result as well. Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Well I got mine on there by luck the first time, then couldn't adjust it, finally got lucky and got it off after 10,000 try's. My problem ended up being a messed up ECM and the culprit ended up being the Qaudzilla Adrenaline that I had on the truck before. I found this out by taking truck to the dealership and having them try to reflash my ECM and it wouldn't work. They selling me one for $1200-$1500. I ended up finding a refurbished one for $850 off the net somewhere.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 PM

So your truck ran fine and had no other symptoms besides you could not load or unload the Smarty programs? My truck runs great and nothing at all seems to be wrong with it besides the lack of ablity to load a smarty tune due to not being able to connect. I will just sell the smarty and drive it like it is before I spend that kind of money on a new ECU. Only reason I bought the smarty was because it was local and not a bad deal.

Thanks for your update on your issue.

Mike
Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM

There are updates you might need to install from Smartys website, and if you bought it used who knows what might be wrong. They may have never uninstalled it from their truck.

To answer the other question, yes it ran fine with out any programmer on it. The problem was that the Qaudzilla never fully uninstalled so it still had some sort of programming stuck in the ECM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 PM

The smarty I updated myself today and before I purchased it, we connected it to his truck to verify that it was working. The smarty is fine, there is something going on with my trucks ECU. I do not know the history of the ECU as I purchased the whole engine and swapped it into my F250 a few years ago. It was a low mile engine but that does not mean it had a tune of some kind installed on it. The issue I am having is getting the smarty to connect at all. I could get the cheap scanner to connect and it showed a few codes all of which are a given being I am not running the grid heater nor do I have my VSS hooked up yet. The one troubling code was a P1652 which is a Bus short to ground code which I bet explains my issues. I I get no voltage from the communications wires and they should both have some voltage when key is on. Either I have a few bad wires or the ECU has an issue. I am going to say the ECU is the problem as the wiring I checked out today and it was all good.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Maybe it has a tune on it already. Dealership should be able to tell you

Quick Reply: Smarty won't Work