3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smarty and Warranty

Just wondering for those of you that have a Smarty installed have you had any issues when taking your truck in for warranty work on either the engine or transmission/diffs?
Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 05:46 AM

I do not have the smarty but that is the million dollar question with mods. The bad ting is any dealer could void the warranty for something as little as an exhaust mod. I have the BDTD and really wonder if it can be detected. I have heard that it can be and that it can't be. I guess I will see if/when I have to have any warranty work done. When the Flashpaq came out they advertised that it cannot be detected but from what I have heard it can be. So as far as the smarty, they advertise it cannot be detected but someone who has it needs to go through the process of having warranty work done so it can be found out for sure.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 AM

Why should Dodge warranty your engine/trans when you mod it and then have a problem because of the power increase?

I have spoken to my dealer and have told them I might put some sort of a power adder on down the road and I am not going to "hide" it from them. They say they would pretty much play by the rules if I do mod. First, give me the benefit of the doubt and see what the problem is and then make a warranty call. All they ask is to disable the power adder before bringing it in. I am OK with that, as I will take responsiblity for my actions.

If someone can't afford major repair bills and needs the security of a warranty, don't mod it!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Why should Dodge warranty your engine/trans when you mod it and then have a problem because of the power increase?

I have spoken to my dealer and have told them I might put some sort of a power adder on down the road and I am not going to "hide" it from them. They say they would pretty much play by the rules if I do mod. First, give me the benefit of the doubt and see what the problem is and then make a warranty call. All they ask is to disable the power adder before bringing it in. I am OK with that, as I will take responsiblity for my actions.

If someone can't afford major repair bills and needs the security of a warranty, don't mod it!

That's right If you play you need to pay. I am fully aware of what upgrades I want to do to my truck and I am not going to hide them from my dealer fact is I make a point to call my service manager and talk to him before I do anything. I am not going to go and add 200 hp and blow something up and then expect someone elso to pay for it. Although dodge was some shotty reasone for voiding warranty's, like bigger tires, air filter's, exhaust. I don't agree with that at all but any major power and I expect to pay..

Shane
Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 AM
tcr

"If you play you need to pay"???? I'm kinda sick of hearing this. Do you guys not think we are already paying for the anticipated repairs DC is forcasting to be caused by mods they don't catch? They really aren't that ignorant. My God, I was just quoted $18.00 per exhaust gasket X 6 = $108.00 by my friendly Dodge dealer who already has ALOT of my money. Cummins sold me a COMPLETE SET for $21.60. I'm sure we all view this differently, but it is a two way street as far as the screwing we get and dish out. I say get away w/ what you can and pat them on the back when they catch you, and then pay up.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by duddin10
The bad ting is any dealer could void the warranty for something as little as an exhaust mod.

I long for the day Dodge tries to void my engine warranty because im straight piped...i'll own the freakin dealership.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 AM

I agree you play you pay isnt exactly true.... Do you not realize that dodge factors in warranty work into the MSRP....... If they want to void warranties then a warranty should be an option in the first place.........
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 AM

If you run Smarty on Wild and take out your stock tranny then good luck. If you wisely use your Smarty then your truck will have no issues that are not defective Dodge parts. Your Smarty should not be installed for any service work cause if they see any codes they will connect the truck to the DRB and they will see the Smarty on there. If the stock program is on there they they might not notice it...but if your version of stock is very recent and the sticker on the truck is saying the stock program is an older version then they might figure it out. My dealership has seen my truck with twins, built tranny, huge CP3.4, 6 gauges, etc.....they love it and tell everyone about it...helps them sell their aftermarket stuff. The only thing that a Smarty punishes on your truck is the drivetrain so don't expect any warranty on that. Build it up and enjoy Smarty to the fullest on your aftermarket warranty from your drive parts suppliers. 1 year left on my ATS triplelok and I can't believe the punishment its taken...Once the warranty is up I'm sending it back for a service check. ks
Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 AM

I guess everyone has to remember that most deakerships dont want to void your warranty if they dont have to, the smart ones anyways. Warranty work is money to them but they have pressure from DC to void warranties whenever possible.