3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dslpwr81
It doesn't matter. People are ignorant and like to make their problems someone elses. As soon as someone announces something negative about a product/company even when it was thier own fault, they blame it on the company and then the product/company gets a bad wrap over it. It happens on here everyday. When the Smarty came out, you didn't have the options you have now as far as tunes. You paid $700 for what was availible at the time, so you should consider it a bonus that you are ABLE to upgrade/download a new tune, and that their will be more to come in the future. I would do the same thing that Marco/Bob do when it comes to releasing these wicked tunes. 99.99% of people don't have thier trucks set up to handle them, so if they were able to get these tunes, they would for sure be calling or posting a week later saying, " look what my Smarty did to my truck." Smarty programmers suck and yada yada yada. Then, half the people on these web sites believe it and thier goes a lot of buisness. I would much rather lose you (one) customer because I was keeping you safe from destroying you truck that was not properly set up to handle it, than to lose 50% of my customers because negative word of mouth got around with false information. (oh, Rpainter. I don't know anything about your truck, just giving an example.)

Jason

totally understand and if I am coming across a a pan in the =ss. sorry and my truck is way past the hd springs stage. just never needed a smarty. The tunes I have for the triple dog do me great. I can go to 3950 down the track all day long.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I see with the Smarty right now is, you have someone who wants to help you make power AND make sure you don't blow the rods out of the side..Does anyone else do that? Or do they just make sure of MAX HP?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM

seems my scanner will not work with windows vista so I need to dig out my old laptop and get a flash drive so I can transfer them to the new lap top.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM

I'll let yall know how my truck does with bullydog in 2 weeks. I sold the smarty couple minutes ago. No more surge
Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Because a RESPONSIBLE vendor will not give you an upgrade he KNOWS will trash your engine because you do not have the necessary parts to support it.

The programs we are talking about here are so radical that without things like "upgraded valve springs", the pistons will slap the valves. If you are a vendor and you want to stay in business, you do not hand that out to people that you know can't use it.

This is what I've been trying to get to. Lary hit it on the spot with this. Again, there is a reason why Bud stopped giving those programs out, it caused many problems on many, many trucks. I think Bud did the right thing, and he's trying to develop something better. this is why everyone has to sneak around begging for the Larry files. If you get it and tear your truck up, nobody can come here and start whining because its been said a few times.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpainter
not trying to come off as complaining just asking. it is just that MY investment. and still any programmer that is added to a truck needs supporting mode done to protect the truck but they dont have a waiting list? name five responsible vendors who asks for supporting mods done to the truck before they sell any type of programmer/module?
They don't ask for supporting mods before selling the programmer...they ask for that before they release the crazy, melt stuff, break things tunes. It is their tune I guess they can do as they want with it because it isn't needed for 98% of the people out there.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
They don't ask for supporting mods before selling the programmer...they ask for that before they release the crazy, melt stuff, break things tunes. It is their tune I guess they can do as they want with it because it isn't needed for 98% of the people out there.
they should make it easier fot the 2% of us to get it......
Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rip 112
This is what I've been trying to get to. Lary hit it on the spot with this. Again, there is a reason why Bud stopped giving those programs out, it caused many problems on many, many trucks. I think Bud did the right thing, and he's trying to develop something better. this is why everyone has to sneak around begging for the Larry files. If you get it and tear your truck up, nobody can come here and start whining because its been said a few times.
Absolutely, Bullydog doesn't wish to harm customers vehicles either. They want to build the best product they can that will work on the majority of the vehicles out there.

I think this is where some of you guys are missing the point. The programmers are designed for the MAJORITY, not the few that can handle the extra stuff. Anything beyond that is the icing on the cake and it can be had, but you have to be patient and forthcoming.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Ok guys, check this out. Anytime a person adds any kind of upgrade in power to any vehicle, that added power will find the weakest link.........for instance, the trans./conv. is the 1st to go-stock wise and for that matter even the strongest gets in that catagory......with enough abuse, it can only take so many hits before things brake down-molecule wise. That's why in sfi world, items has to be replaced so often/period time constraints.

I want to have a modified truck and I take full responsibility of my own actions, not the provider. No if's, ands, or buts about it........I, myself, am responsible for my actions......that'd be a good disclaimer..
Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by TORQUE BEAST
seems my scanner will not work with windows vista so I need to dig out my old laptop and get a flash drive so I can transfer them to the new lap top.
Take a photo and post it.....
Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

hello friends its wyocummins from cumminsforum i didnt know my thread had made topic over here! lol
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 AM

trouble maker! lol
Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Banned

who me!? haha never
Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 AM

Question for you all?

How come at Dog Days of Summer 2008 the top ten Dodge trucks all ran a Smarty?

ouch...it was painfull...lol.

BDDL made 60 hp on my truck back in the day...

Sure...once the TST was involved it worked...but by itself...nothing.

Tuning is tuning...and there are lots of ways to get there.

There is ONE for sure way.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 AM

mudder...ditch the EH sticks...that will solve your problem.

Use TM2

Quick Reply: smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!