3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by homewrecker
Lets face it,their are some people that are pushing the envelope,stepping into uncharted territories with a CR and they are deserving of special programs.There is and always will be someone with bigger and badder than what the majority have.This is part of the research and testing from MADS and in due time what is learned from these "special" tunes will trickle down to the majority.Most don't need it and aren't prepared for the consequences of what can come from it.I look at it as MADS way of protecting their customers and covering whats in their best interest by not giving out the special tunes.If the general public had access to them there would be countless post about how Smarty blew my motor up.Even though this would not be true it would scare many away from their product.I am content with what is available and know that something better is always just around the corner.
now in my opinion that is not right. If a guy want to stick a racing proram on his stock truck. It in no way would or should come back to say bob or marco. the customer asked for it ,got it, and used it all by himself. noone for smarty put teh program in his truck without his knowledge. I never could understand mads MAP or the tnt/r waiting list.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rpainter
now in my opinion that is not right. If a guy want to stick a racing proram on his stock truck. It in no way would or should come back to say bob or marco. the customer asked for it ,got it, and used it all by himself. noone for smarty put teh program in his truck without his knowledge. I never could understand mads MAP or the tnt/r waiting list.
I don't see it as that simple.Their are many people that run aftermarket performance stuff and don't have any comprehension of the damage that can be done.Not everyone is as knowledgeable as they should be.No,this does not make Marco responsible for someone elses ignorance but honestly can you imagine what would be going on with a special tune in the wrong hands.There are probably many running the TNT that aren't even set up to handle it.I know a few people local that are running it and have know idea what is safe or unsafe for their truck.Their mentallity is put it on kill and drive the snot out of it.Granted there are alot of us that keep up with everything and know the limits of our set up but we are not the majority.I think MADS is trying to make sure that the people who have the TNT/R or the special tunes are knowledgeable of what they are recieving.I also agree that Bob could be quicker in getting these tunes out to the deserving but thats just part of the game I guess.As long as I have waited at times I still feel its the best product on the market and see no reason to jump ship.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
I don't see it as that simple.Their are many people that run aftermarket performance stuff and don't have any comprehension of the damage that can be done.Not everyone is as knowledgeable as they should be.No,this does not make Marco responsible for someone elses ignorance but honestly can you imagine what would be going on with a special tune in the wrong hands.There are probably many running the TNT that aren't even set up to handle it.I know a few people local that are running it and have know idea what is safe or unsafe for their truck.Their mentallity is put it on kill and drive the snot out of it.Granted there are alot of us that keep up with everything and know the limits of our set up but we are not the majority.I think MADS is trying to make sure that the people who have the TNT/R or the special tunes are knowledgeable of what they are recieving.I also agree that Bob could be quicker in getting these tunes out to the deserving but thats just part of the game I guess.As long as I have waited at times I still feel its the best product on the market and see no reason to jump ship.
But why is it up to bob or marco to decide what programs I put on MY truck. I feel that if I order a 700.00 programer from them I want to be able to decide what tune I want. Not ask for a tune that I want and wait for them to ok it. and as far as the guys who put it on kill with THEIR trucks good for them. They bought the downloader let them use it the way they want to that no way affect my judgement on buying a high hp downloader.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But why is it up to bob or marco to decide what programs I put on MY truck. I feel that if I order a 700.00 programer from them I want to be able to decide what tune I want. Not ask for a tune that I want and wait for them to ok it. and as far as the guys who put it on kill with THEIR trucks good for them. They bought the downloader let them use it the way they want to that no way affect my judgement on buying a high hp downloader.
Because just like posted above, as soon as they KILL thier truck with the fancy tune, literally, it is then Marcos fault.....right?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Because just like posted above, as soon as they KILL thier truck with the fancy tune, literally, it is then Marcos fault.....right?
No they bought the tune, they loaded it and they drove the snot out of their trucks. Their problem to repair it. Put a clause agreement before the download stating "mads electronics is not responsable for damages due to abuse. click agree to start download"
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Because a RESPONSIBLE vendor will not give you an upgrade he KNOWS will trash your engine because you do not have the necessary parts to support it.

The programs we are talking about here are so radical that without things like "upgraded valve springs", the pistons will slap the valves. If you are a vendor and you want to stay in business, you do not hand that out to people that you know can't use it.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM

There already is a clause inplace but how many are adhearing to it?

I think alot of this comes from us being spoiled with constant FREE tunes.Sometimes its just never enough to passify everyone.Be happy your waiting on a free tune and not having to purchase it.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Because a RESPONSIBLE vendor will not give you an upgrade he KNOWS will trash your engine because you do not have the necessary parts to support it.

The programs we are talking about here are so radical that without things like "upgraded valve springs", the pistons will slap the valves. If you are a vendor and you want to stay in business, you do not hand that out to people that you know can't use it.
Amen..................
Old 01-18-2009, 09:03 PM

lary but in honesty how does a responsible vendor prove that the truck is modded the way the owner says it is?? and plus how can a smaller vendor or company stay in business turning paying customers away?? if they want the tune they WILL get the tune.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
lary but in honesty how does a responsible vendor prove that the truck is modded the way the owner says it is?? and plus how can a smaller vendor or company stay in business turning paying customers away?? if they want the tune they WILL get the tune.
Obviously you can not be sure if the owner is telling you the truth or not, but you do the best you can under the circumstances. Also the tune people are complaining about is a "Special" tune and not the one that comes standard with the unit.

Just about any manufacturer can supply you with a "special tune" that is far above the stock unit, but you have to contact them and make special arrangements to do so. This is not something that is unique to Mads products and again you need the supporting mods to handle it.

I think the better question here is WHY would you complain when a vendor makes an effort to protect your investment?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 PM

No they bought the tune, they loaded it and they drove the snot out of their trucks. Their problem to repair it. Put a clause agreement before the download stating "mads electronics is not responsable for damages due to abuse. click agree to start download"
It doesn't matter. People are ignorant and like to make their problems someone elses. As soon as someone announces something negative about a product/company even when it was thier own fault, they blame it on the company and then the product/company gets a bad wrap over it. It happens on here everyday. When the Smarty came out, you didn't have the options you have now as far as tunes. You paid $700 for what was availible at the time, so you should consider it a bonus that you are ABLE to upgrade/download a new tune, and that their will be more to come in the future. I would do the same thing that Marco/Bob do when it comes to releasing these wicked tunes. 99.99% of people don't have thier trucks set up to handle them, so if they were able to get these tunes, they would for sure be calling or posting a week later saying, " look what my Smarty did to my truck." Smarty programmers suck and yada yada yada. Then, half the people on these web sites believe it and thier goes a lot of buisness. I would much rather lose you (one) customer because I was keeping you safe from destroying you truck that was not properly set up to handle it, than to lose 50% of my customers because negative word of mouth got around with false information. (oh, Rpainter. I don't know anything about your truck, just giving an example.)

Jason
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 PM

What are you paying for?Smarty has always been free for the latest tunes.And you say why is it up to Bob and Marco to decide what gets put on "your" truck.These special tunes are not yours,they are "MADS" to give out to who they feel like.Not ******* on you man,but its out of our control and being Bulydog isn't coming out with any bigger and badder anytime soon I would be very,very careful not to burn any bridges here.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Lary.. Homewrecker. You beat me to it. I guess you type faster than me.b
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Obviously you can not be sure if the owner is telling you the truth or not, but you do the best you can under the circumstances. Also the tune people are complaining about is a "Special" tune and not the one that comes standard with the unit.

Just about any manufacturer can supply you with a "special tune" that is far above the stock unit, but you have to contact them and make special arrangements to do so. This is not something that is unique to Mads products and again you need the supporting mods to handle it.

I think the better question here is WHY would you complain when a vendor makes an effort to protect your investment?
not trying to come off as complaining just asking. it is just that MY investment. and still any programmer that is added to a truck needs supporting mode done to protect the truck but they dont have a waiting list? name five responsible vendors who asks for supporting mods done to the truck before they sell any type of programmer/module?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
It doesn't matter. People are ignorant and like to make their problems someone elses. As soon as someone announces something negative about a product/company even when it was thier own fault, they blame it on the company and then the product/company gets a bad wrap over it. It happens on here everyday. When the Smarty came out, you didn't have the options you have now as far as tunes. You paid $700 for what was availible at the time, so you should consider it a bonus that you are ABLE to upgrade/download a new tune, and that their will be more to come in the future. I would do the same thing that Marco/Bob do when it comes to releasing these wicked tunes. 99.99% of people don't have thier trucks set up to handle them, so if they were able to get these tunes, they would for sure be calling or posting a week later saying, " look what my Smarty did to my truck." Smarty programmers suck and yada yada yada. Then, half the people on these web sites believe it and thier goes a lot of buisness. I would much rather lose you (one) customer because I was keeping you safe from destroying you truck that was not properly set up to handle it, than to lose 50% of my customers because negative word of mouth got around with false information. (oh, Rpainter. I don't know anything about your truck, just giving an example.)

Jason
Exactly, well put!...............

Quick Reply: smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!