3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
I agree 110% and said that over on the other site, seems to really make em mad though. I'm PowerW250 over there.
As for you two, if you dont like whats being said in here or on another site. dont read it! Yall are just as much like school girls cause yall want to listen to the arguing and comment about it to. Doesnt make you any better!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
Yeah, besides power isn't everything, I have fun with my 04 and what not but my 92's my baby and it doesn't have half the power that my 04 does. I have respect for the new trucks, but when it comes right down to it, I'd get rid of my 04 before I would my 12 valve... I like the fact that on my 92 real power comes from knowlage of the engine and how to get it out of it, not sticking a box to the trucks computer and beating your chest saying UHM ME BIGGER MAN THAN YOU NOW... or my daddy can beat your daddy up, or my box is better than your box, bla, bla, bla

I stick to what I have said here... To each his own, run what you like. I've never said I was better than anyone.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM

wwhat did he have his smarty on sw1.what were his other mods, ect. power250.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 AM

You guys are blowing this up and making a BIG deal out of nothing. The main reason for this is to get some good comparisions between different tuners. We could not come up with a ppe even though there was a guy in the area that had one but would not let us use it but I guess some people are just like that. Anyway there is a lot of talk on here about this tune cant be beat on this truck and that tune cant be beat on that truck AND the truth is that probably 60% (figure of speech-not actual #)of the morons that chime in here don't have a clue what they are talking about or they are going on here say. We have all heard that scary larry was the best on the 05's and that was probably true until the beta 4.2 and tnt/r tune came out. As of now the tnt/r tune beat scary larry but only by 3.6hp and 71.9tq but does that mean scary larry is bad? Absolutely not, it is a very strong tune with very little smoke. Downside is it does not have tire size ,rpm options ect... but if you like the scary larry tune you can get the 2.4ct it is a mirror image of the sl tune but has all the options you want. The pL tune had like 14hp or so more than tnt/r but we saw 26900 on rail pressure with pl and 24+ with smary and after putting a pressure box on the smarty they were within 1hp and 15tq but when we stacked the pressure box on the 2.4ct tune it gain 10hp over the smarty stacked with the same box. As far as the 06 goes the bulldog won on every run we tried. We tried a lot of different settings but the end result was the same. I think the first run was 40hp more and the next runs were less but can not remember the numbers-I will let dodgethebullet give you his info. So to say the least I was impressed with what the bullydog did on some things and was impressed with smarty on what it did on things as well. Bottom line is they are both good programmers and the hp difference is not enough to make this a big deal. I will post up the dyno sheets later today and hopefully we will have some time slips to go along with the dyno runs to see if there is any difference at the track as well. As you can see it boils down to what you want based on your needs.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 AM

This is like the whole Chevy / Ford / Dodge discussions....nothing good comes out of it....personally, i have a smarty, and i'm definately a big fan....that being said, i cant run TnT-R or even TnT on level 9 with my mods....only those with fully built trucks can really take advantage of either (betas run better on mine with my mods).....so i'm curious as to what the trucks that did the runs had from supporting mods...

In the end, ultimate hp doesnt matter to me, hence the 62/65/13 turbo i just bought (in lieu of a 66)...dont need top end hp numbers....need egt control and drivability / spool......that being said, bragging rights are bragging rights and if there's something other than hearsay then may the most powerful programmer win and get the credit for it...it does matter to some, and facts are facts...besides, if BD wins...it'll have marco creating yet another masterpiece to beat it.....

Oh yeah, my dog can beat up yours! Lighten up guys....they're programmers!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
I don't understand some of ya'll. I'm on this forum everyday and have been for a couple of years now, and this is the first time I've seen alot of these words said. For instance, the main consensus that has been identified was the Bully Dog never worked well at all on 03-04 trucks. Now I'm seeing a few ppl all of a sudden say oh yeah, I have a Bullydog, they made more power than Smarty, woo hoo I love my BullyDog now. Through all the BullyDog problem threads, through seeing Bud Kunz stop releasing CL and ya'll know he did it for a good reason. Pedafile Larry wasn't even supposed to be a released program, so you think Buds gonna back ya'll up when he knows there's better to be had (what he's trying to work on). Back when I read some of those sob stories about x-mas dash and constant codes, I knew what I DIDN't want, even if one program leaked out can make more power than the TNT/r. Like I said, there's more to the equation, and most of ya'll are just giddy because of 10-30 horsepower difference, and we haven't even seen proof yet. I find it mildly interesting.

Bad thing is some of these Smarty flamings that have come up have never crossed my eyes before in my life, and now I'm seeing all kinds of Smarty raggings. Interesting for sure...
Im a huge Smarty fan and will always run it unless we get an EFIlive type thing, but you gotta be living in the closet if this is the first time you've heard bad stuff about Smarty. Bob, has always giving me GREAT customer service, but Ive heard two complaints about Smarty and Ive been hearing them from a lot of people lately and is been Surging and No customer service (cant get a hold of Bob(which I find hard to believe)) but its starting to become a trend lately.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 PM

i am new here but i enjoy all of the reading. i have an 05 with the bullydog pmt, it makes good power but not really impressed with it. over priced at that and i still had to buy a boost fooler. the edge already having one and now a turbo timer on the new download while bullydog doesnt...something to be said about the most expensive programmer on the market. though it does make decent power...very curious about the smarty, thinking about selling the dog and going with the new smarty...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
I don't understand some of ya'll. I'm on this forum everyday and have been for a couple of years now, and this is the first time I've seen alot of these words said.
Rip, the point is whenever someone asks about programmers the Smarty people chime in with all their cheer leading.
Someone will ask about an Edge vs. the Diablo, I bet at least 6 different people come on with the Smarty cheers, it gets to be a little much and I've said so enough times to get PM's from Lary.

I got my TD used for a good price and am more than happy with it, I'm not about to spend $1000 cdn to get the new Smarty with POD no matter how much cheer leading I see here or on any other forum, it's not that important to me.
Kinda nice to see the Smarty supporters eating some crow though...
Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 PM
O.T

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Rip, the point is whenever someone asks about programmers the Smarty people chime in with all their cheer leading.
Someone will ask about an Edge vs. the Diablo, I bet at least 6 different people come on with the Smarty cheers, it gets to be a little much and I've said so enough times to get PM's from Lary.

I got my TD used for a good price and am more than happy with it, I'm not about to spend $1000 cdn to get the new Smarty with POD no matter how much cheer leading I see here or on any other forum, it's not that important to me.
Kinda nice to see the Smarty supporters eating some crow though...
hey fisher...onetun here/ up north we like crow
Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
What BD tunes are so strong on your 03? Back when I had a BDDL, all that I could find was the 130hp tune and I dynoed more w/ a 6gun
On my '03, the Triple Dog dynoed at 66hp over stock on extreme. No crazy larry for '03's back then. Whoopeee!

The Smarty on the same truck, all other things being able, dynoed at somewhere around 134 over stock programming. I was running a FASS, Technicooler, AFE stage II, ATS manifold, SPS66, stock sticks and CP3.

I will say that the best dyno numbers I ever got were stacking the TD and the TST. Netted me 555/960 uncorrected. I couldn't duplicate it ever again, but I probably didn't have enough dyno time.

On the road, I much preferred the behavior of the Smarty. So that's what I run now on my '07.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I think you missed the point I was trying to make with you altogether. You whine and complain that the Smarty boys are cheer leading but I see no difference in what you are doing..... Why is it bad for them but good for you to do?

When it is all said and done, who really cares? You guys will have differing opinions and cheer leaders for both products, I see no problem with that...there are happy customers on both sides of the aisle as it should be.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 PM

i really would've liked to see the ppe. that's the one i have no experience with. i like the sound of it. too bad you couldn't come up with one for the test.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BrokeSolid
i really would've liked to see the ppe. that's the one i have no experience with. i like the sound of it. too bad you couldn't come up with one for the test.
X2 from the very few people who have it I hear it rips.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Fisherguy makes a valid point. Any questions about another tuner will always be answered by "Get a Smarty" Everything I have learned about the Smarty is good. I believe it is a great programmer,but not the only one! The BDTD works great for me. I will never run the maximum HP tunes because I don't want the supporting mods.
Even though the DTR leans way to the Smarty side all the other power tuners and modules should get to be heard without the Smarty bunch putting it down.Most have never tried the other brands.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I think you missed the point I was trying to make with you altogether. You whine and complain that the Smarty boys are cheer leading but I see no difference in what you are doing..... Why is it bad for them but good for you to do?

When it is all said and done, who really cares? You guys will have differing opinions and cheer leaders for both products, I see no problem with that...there are happy customers on both sides of the aisle as it should be.
well said for a old fart Rob

Quick Reply: smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!