3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand some of ya'll. I'm on this forum everyday and have been for a couple of years now, and this is the first time I've seen alot of these words said. For instance, the main consensus that has been identified was the Bully Dog never worked well at all on 03-04 trucks. Now I'm seeing a few ppl all of a sudden say oh yeah, I have a Bullydog, they made more power than Smarty, woo hoo I love my BullyDog now. Through all the BullyDog problem threads, through seeing Bud Kunz stop releasing CL and ya'll know he did it for a good reason. Pedafile Larry wasn't even supposed to be a released program, so you think Buds gonna back ya'll up when he knows there's better to be had (what he's trying to work on). Back when I read some of those sob stories about x-mas dash and constant codes, I knew what I DIDN't want, even if one program leaked out can make more power than the TNT/r. Like I said, there's more to the equation, and most of ya'll are just giddy because of 10-30 horsepower difference, and we haven't even seen proof yet. I find it mildly interesting.

Bad thing is some of these Smarty flamings that have come up have never crossed my eyes before in my life, and now I'm seeing all kinds of Smarty raggings. Interesting for sure...
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mulisha
surging, never heard of that one.
I thought the surge issue was resolved a while back.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 AM

once again I'm right there with ya "rip 112"
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
I don't understand some of ya'll. I'm on this forum everyday and have been for a couple of years now, and this is the first time I've seen alot of these words said. For instance, the main consensus that has been identified was the Bully Dog never worked well at all on 03-04 trucks. Now I'm seeing a few ppl all of a sudden say oh yeah, I have a Bullydog, they made more power than Smarty, woo hoo I love my BullyDog now. Through all the BullyDog problem threads, through seeing Bud Kunz stop releasing CL and ya'll know he did it for a good reason. Pedafile Larry wasn't even supposed to be a released program, so you think Buds gonna back ya'll up when he knows there's better to be had (what he's trying to work on). Back when I read some of those sob stories about x-mas dash and constant codes, I knew what I DIDN't want, even if one program leaked out can make more power than the TNT/r. Like I said, there's more to the equation, and most of ya'll are just giddy because of 10-30 horsepower difference, and we haven't even seen proof yet. I find it mildly interesting.

Bad thing is some of these Smarty flamings that have come up have never crossed my eyes before in my life, and now I'm seeing all kinds of Smarty raggings. Interesting for sure...
I think you need to repost that quate about 100 times RIP. Couldn't have said it better. 10-30hp. Who the heck cares. Someone should start a poll on this.
Bully Dog Pros/Cons Smarty Pros/Cons
Egts, Codes, Customer Service, Power, Smooth Power, Intallation, Options. ETC..... I think Bully Dog might get the power one, but what else.....

And for sure your right RIP. Most, not all, the people that are saying, "oh man, I really love my BD, never said that before. Kinda funny. Most, not all, the people that say they hate the Smarty have NEVER EVEN TRIED IT. I went from the BD to the Smarty just because I was curious, and after the install, there was no question on the one that I prefered.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM

yall act like a bunch of high school girls.Each person buys what they want for there truck and if its smarty let it be and if its bullydog let it be. Gosh i dont see what the big deal is over a programmer. Man if thats all yall have to argue about then take a step off into my boots and you wouldnt give a care about the bullydog vs smarty.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand some of ya'll.
Everything that has been said in support of the BDDL has been said before. People just don’t want to listen and those that offer advice won’t argue, so you will never hear from them twice. The window of opportunity is small. Understand that one may work on your truck and not the other. Understand that two different programmers may not make the same power on two different trucks. Understand that no two trucks will act the same with the same programmer…..or stock for that matter. Lots to understand that most don't. This conversation has been had so many times. This whole thread is squabbling over something that is expected and understood by those that understand....and then there are those that don't. Epic fail.

Just be happy with the one you keep. To push one as better, regardless of which one that is, when that one is the only real world experience to base an uneducated opinion from is not cool. That is why that gentleman started the thread on CF to begin with, and then both threads quickly went somewhere else.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
trx

Have any of the dyno sheets been posted somewhere? Would be nice to see the torque and horesepower curves.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 AM

I like my smarty and tried the BDTD but will say that ive been clearing boost codes too many time to keep track-and i run a Quad boost fooler,doesent matter stock programming or smarty tune.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 AM

I dont have either. I tryed bd on my truck and hated it and i cant see my self buying a smarty for any reason. I just hate when someone new comes on here and ask which is better a bd or a J/a and the first post is SMARTY. That is just un-called for. Me personally, i saw in one of the diesel mags that hp tuners is working on a program for cummins so then i will switch!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 AM

The thread is useless without numbers. It always comes to this for a reason, everything that is brought to the table is hearsay til its produced. Maybe he should have named this thread Smarty and BullyDog and hopefully PPE dyno numbers, not a war type theme like Smarty vs Bullydog that has been fought and competed over for a few years now. I have what I want and that's what makes me feel good inside. But I've been on this forum too long to not express my opinion when there are so many evident facts concerning certain programmers. All have had their flaws, but The CL and PL tunes have proved to be tremendously fatal to many trucks. (to those that haven't had problems, fantastic) They don't have it available for download at all from the Bd side. There is a good reason for that, and it makes them want to make a better product. I commend them on that. But here everyone is stuck on a old flame that has been fought over, and I was just stating the evident all along. I don't view it as a war, I just try to keep the facts straight here.

Now can somebody please post some dyno numbers for comparison sakes? I'm glad they dynoed, but I thought this was gonna be some straight numbers.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM

It's All Good My Brothus. To Each His Own. God Bless All, Me Included.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm running tnt tune. I can't go above 3 cause the surge is that bad. I'm running big twins with dual fuelers also. 110 sticks. Mulisha I would let u ride in it if u were closer. Last time I talked to bob bout this he said go to revo or beta tune. I don't want to go smaller. Guess I will pm bob again
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mudder500
I'm running tnt tune. I can't go above 3 cause the surge is that bad. I'm running big twins with dual fuelers also. 110 sticks. Mulisha I would let u ride in it if u were closer. Last time I talked to bob bout this he said go to revo or beta tune. I don't want to go smaller. Guess I will pm bob again
IMO beta 4.2 is not smaller by any means than the TNT. It seems to be problem free. At least try it out before saying you're dissatisfied.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 AM

The thread is useless without numbers. It always comes to this for a reason, everything that is brought to the table is hearsay til its produced. Maybe he should have named this thread Smarty and BullyDog and hopefully PPE dyno numbers, not a war type theme like Smarty vs Bullydog that has been fought and competed over for a few years now. I have what I want and that's what makes me feel good inside. But I've been on this forum too long to not express my opinion when there are so many evident facts concerning certain programmers. All have had their flaws, but The CL and PL tunes have proved to be tremendously fatal to many trucks. (to those that haven't had problems, fantastic) They don't have it available for download at all from the Bd side. There is a good reason for that, and it makes them want to make a better product. I commend them on that. But here everyone is stuck on a old flame that has been fought over, and I was just stating the evident all along. I don't view it as a war, I just try to keep the facts straight here.

Now can somebody please post some dyno numbers for comparison sakes? I'm glad they dynoed, but I thought this was gonna be some straight numbers.
See thats the thing, we are glad you have what you want and all we are saying is ALL chips and programmers work different on every truck. All im getting at is when people have problems with there j/a or bd yall shouldnt automaticly jump in and say sale it and buy a smarty cause its not the best in EVERY aspect! Never have i said that smarty wasnt any good all i said is a guy had one and i beat him.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by coyle2285
yall act like a bunch of high school girls.Each person buys what they want for there truck and if its smarty let it be and if its bullydog let it be. Gosh i dont see what the big deal is over a programmer. Man if thats all yall have to argue about then take a step off into my boots and you wouldnt give a care about the bullydog vs smarty.
I agree 110% and said that over on the other site, seems to really make em mad though. I'm PowerW250 over there.

Quick Reply: smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!