3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was racing religiously, I would run the Smarty and BullyDog at the track (among other things), same day, back to back, in many different configurations trying to find that extra 10th. Smarty never produced the track times on my 03 that the BullyDog was able to produce. When I would upgrade a part, like a new hot Cp3, I would start over running both (among other things) back to back, same day, in many different configurations to see which would work best. It was not uncommon to make more than 30 passes a day. Unfortunately, it was never the Smarty that came out on top for the fastest track times. I have hundreds of vids of each with lots of same day stuff....but it is just a truck going down the track. Nothing that would please any argumentative types. They are both fine programmers, and both have their quirks from truck to truck, but the BD is better than the Smarty for max power on my 03.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AK RAM
When I was racing religiously, I would run the Smarty and BullyDog at the track (among other things), same day, back to back, in many different configurations trying to find that extra 10th. Smarty never produced the track times on my 03 that the BullyDog was able to produce. When I would upgrade a part, like a new hot Cp3, I would start over running both (among other things) back to back, same day, in many different configurations to see which would work best. It was not uncommon to make more than 30 passes a day. Unfortunately, it was never the Smarty that came out on top for the fastest track times. I have hundreds of vids of each with lots of same day stuff....but it is just a truck going down the track. Nothing that would please any argumentative types. They are both fine programmers, and both have their quirks from truck to truck, but the BD is better than the Smarty for max power on my 03.
What BD tunes are so strong on your 03? Back when I had a BDDL, all that I could find was the 130hp tune and I dynoed more w/ a 6gun
Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 AM

Agree, maybe the OLD power pups made good power on the 03s, but the new ones are weak!
If you have an 03-04, diablosport predator makes some real juice for those. The smarty was ok on my truck, felt stronger than the BDTD, but nowhere near as strong as Predator RKL puff tunes.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by 5POINT9
Agree, maybe the OLD power pups made good power on the 03s, but the new ones are weak!
If you have an 03-04, diablosport predator makes some real juice for those. The smarty was ok on my truck, felt stronger than the BDTD, but nowhere near as strong as Predator RKL puff tunes.
Have you dynoed w/ RKL, and is the RKL puff tune available on their website if I decide to try one?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 AM

No, never had a chance to dyno. So my dyno has been SOTP. Tunes are available on the website.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
So all of a sudden us Smarty ppl are bad guys? Because we absolutely love our programmers. Guys maybe ya'll aren't realizing that before the Smarty there was the BD that dang near everybody had, and now most of those ppl have moved on to better things. I could care less how much more power the BD put down, to me its not just buy whatever gives the most power, and it shouldn't be that for anyone, that's how ppl take things too far and blow crap up.

I love the stories of jealous ppl blowing the Smarty away. Yet I don't see a Bullydog anonymous club or a Edge anonymous club, or any others for that matter. Take it how you want, but the Smarty is a better choice, its been proven in many other ways than power delivery. Ya'll can hate all ya'll want, but I'll be a Smarty cheerleader for many more reasons than just power ratings, there's a lot more to equations like this.

I couldn't have said it any better myself!!!! on SMARTY, ON!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 AM

So, I'm buying parts to build more power and all I hear/read; smarty is better in every aspect, even cust. serv. Well, when I 1st bought my pmt and the sd card reader wouldn't work in my laptop, I called bd and they tried to help. I got a new reader within days. They walked me through step by step, my point is bd, has great cust. service and quick enough not to pmo to where as I won't use 'em.

As to new power tunes, the feds has them tied up. If ya didn't notice that the gov. is cracking down on us that want more power-read more particulates blowing for the green asp idiots that drive/ride around in big suv anturage (can't spell) that say their green advocates.

Anyway, I bought a smarty pod back in Nov. and got put on a waiting list for the tnt-r, still haven't got the word for when I'll get that tune....It's been chapping me to know only 1 person decides when/where/if a person gets it or not..........and I don't care if he's only one man and has alot of requests, get some ppl to HELP!!! For crying out load, if I had the tnt-r program the pmt would of been sold already and I'd be upset that I got rid of the more powerful programmer, so by rights THANKS BOB for being slow to send me the tnt-r, now I'll sell the pod WHICH btw hasn't even been used........When I got it, I opened the case to check it out and that's as far as it went. I didn't want to pull my pmt cl tune til I had the tnt-r. Remember, I want more power ,not down grade.

Since I bought the mp-8, I haven't thrown an over boost code. That was the only code that was being thrown by the pmt 'cuz I have a wg fooler on and was hitting 45-50 psi. I did turn down to only 40 psi max so not to push the turbo too hard. That's not a problem anymore anyway......twin turbo.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but since the bd has more output than smarty....I'll be keeping the bdpmt loaded. I can't say that the pod is for sale here but .........I should see if the dtr store will refund me minus the shippping, of cource.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by O.T
hmmm, so Bully Dog that no longer releases the good tunes takes the Smarty? If I have needed a programmer for all out power why would I buy a BD??
b/c u can still get the OLDER but better than NEW smarty tunes , even now!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 AM

For most people that just want better fuel milage and a lil more power, the SMARTY is still the only programmer that doesn't leave a foot print though. I had the BDDL and on "my" truck I didn't like it near as much as my SMARTY. To each his own I guess...
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 AM

I personally think that the BDDL on my 03 wasnt very good. I owned both the BDDL and a smarty at the same time and i thik the smarty pulls alot harder on my truck that the BDDL. And i like the fact that my EGT's are almost300* less. And even when i pull a 10k trailer with my truck the EGT's are still in check. Im not brand loyal, but the smarty and ez on my truck pull hard and i know my buddys 03 with my old BDDL with a ez wont keep with mine. But that IMO. I would personally like to see both these DL on a stock truck with the same mods. Then it would be a controled test.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
For most people that just want better fuel milage and a lil more power, the SMARTY is still the only programmer that doesn't leave a foot print though. I had the BDDL and on "my" truck I didn't like it near as much as my SMARTY. To each his own I guess...
That's a good spirit to have
I enjoy the Smarty, but like the Bullydog more , especially for mpg even though it'rs higher on egt's.
People shouldn't get bent outta shape over a silly programmer that will soon pass anyway
There's a higher power that will never be out done!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by #2 only
That's a good spirit to have
I enjoy the Smarty, but like the Bullydog more , especially for mpg even though it'rs higher on egt's.
People shouldn't get bent outta shape over a silly programmer that will soon pass anyway
There's a higher power that will never be out done!!!
Yeah, besides power isn't everything, I have fun with my 04 and what not but my 92's my baby and it doesn't have half the power that my 04 does. I have respect for the new trucks, but when it comes right down to it, I'd get rid of my 04 before I would my 12 valve... I like the fact that on my 92 real power comes from knowlage of the engine and how to get it out of it, not sticking a box to the trucks computer and beating your chest saying UHM ME BIGGER MAN THAN YOU NOW... or my daddy can beat your daddy up, or my box is better than your box, bla, bla, bla
Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
Yeah, besides power isn't everything, I have fun with my 04 and what not but my 92's my baby and it doesn't have half the power that my 04 does. I have respect for the new trucks, but when it comes right down to it, I'd get rid of my 04 before I would my 12 valve... I like the fact that on my 92 real power comes from knowlage of the engine and how to get it out of it, not sticking a box to the trucks computer and beating your chest saying UHM ME BIGGER MAN THAN YOU NOW... or my daddy can beat your daddy up, or my box is better than your box, bla, bla, bla
I know you're right
If we would all give constructive critism and be recieved that way , then things would be more peaceful
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 AM

I can't even drive my truck with the smarty cause it surges so bad. 3 others I know had this problem.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 AM

surging, never heard of that one.

Quick Reply: smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!