3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at those dyno sheets it seems that the smarty makes higher torque numbers. does seem to lose in the HP part though.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
fueling into the rpms and not dropping off? You don't get it?
I dont get near 4k before my tranny shifts
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what should be happening with the TNT/r, not 3400rpms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQwlBGWC7BA
Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Banned

fueling into the rpms and not dropping off? You don't get it?
It did start dropping off like around the 3200 rpm mark....
Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Banned

The TNT/r should have fueled to 4k, don't you have the option to run stock rpm TNT/r or 4k rpm TNT/r? Just wondering here if we're trying to make an honest comparison of this.
This a good example of a label reader.... Not to put anybody down.... You are stating that someone, somebody or you read something that the TNT/R fueled all the way to 4000 RPM... Well that's why we tested it on a dyno to show you where it fuels... So in conclusion it does not fuel all the way to 4000 RPM like you think or was told... That's why in the dyno graphs the power levels are dropping fast after 3200... Of course you can spin it up further but if its not making power why bother.... not doing any good in those RPM ranges..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:10 AM

On Erick Brown's 1100 hp truck, Smarty put the BDTD to shame.

Drake (10 sec. common rail) dropped the PPE and went to smarty.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:03 AM

I've run all (3) of these downloaders

1st,..I had good,.. not great customer service from each. Pls keep in mind,.. and I think everyone can relate to the difference between Power and Driveability.

PPE- An extraordinary product with outstanding power and diveability. I took it head-to head against the S06 Smarty and it was stronger than the 4.2 but not as strong as the TNT or the TNT-R. Not a huge difference and consider it did NOT have Torq Mgt Delete. Also it is now a 3+ year old PPE HOT program. I never had problems of any kind with codes on my 04.5 with it.

BDTD- This programmer was run with various CL programs and lastly with the vaunted Scary Larry program. Erroneously I and others were told this program would in fact work on the 04.5,... it does not. Will it run with it,.... yes but not with anything more than moderate performance and not even close to PPE Hot or Smarty TNT-R. This is not to say on the right truck (an '05 auto) this program is absolute killer. I did have code problems and more smoke with the BD programs in moderate driving than the other two programmers. Again, it may well be due to my year truck or mods on my truck,... I don't know for sure so I don't want to color someone elses opinion without knowing for sure.

Smarty TNT-R- For both Power and Driveability I like this downloader best on MY truck. I had NO code or problems of any kind with this product.

A couple things for users to keep in mind. For each year 3rd gen truck there is almost a different ECM program for each MONTH of each year model!!! What???!!!! Yes! Ck it out with a DCX parts dept and you will find this to be accurate. This is why these products DO NOT run the same on seemingly like year trucks. Then you throw into the evaluation mix a host of other mods and you a great variance in power and driveability between products.

I would not at all doubt the claims of any user of any of these products as you cannot match their full setups so quite likely most of the claims by users is accurate. This is NOT apples with apples so give your diesel bros a break and admit you only know what works on YOUR truck as they know what has worked on theirs.

Good luck to all in your mods.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:23 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by DODGETHEBULLET
Do you really think they only had a Smarty and no other Tuner on there !!!! Get real... Smarty hardly works without some supporting tuner or box....
Your joking right?

You all are loooking at this wrong.... What we stated was the Smarty TNT/R tune that is such a secret doesn't work... People wait and hope that they can get this special "HIGH PERFORMANCE" tune... but when tested against other tunes made by Smarty and BullyDog they fall flat on there face.. How can a Two year old BDCL tune outpower and perform the Smarty TNT/R tune... There should be no way possible if people are testing it and have R&D with it... Where is all the R&D ???? You hear people state all the time I don't have the mods for that... Why not ???? It's no stronger than the regular tune. But they only give it out to a few to make people think it's way stronger to keep people wanting and asking for it.... It's the good ol' Smoke and mirror trick... That's what we where origionally stating... but then it just led to more and exciting things...
DTB, As you type I get less and less impressed w/ your knowledge. You are trashing a major product on at least 2 forums and you wonder why Bob doesn't send you tunes Where are your dyno slips AND time slips(not that I really care), but the attitude behind your keyboard really needs to take a break.
By the way, who is the WE you so strongly represent, "you and your bullydog" or what?
Your points have been made. Why don't you move on to how fabulous your tires or your shocks are
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is useless comparing the extreme tunes from Bullydog and Smarty when the trucks being used don't have the full range of supporting mods.I can gaurantee that a mildy modded truck will make less power with the tnt/r than say an older beta tune.I have ran almost every Smarty tune and have felt the differences betwen them as the suppporting mods on my truck have been upgraded.The TNT/R had my stage 2 pump hanging on by a thread with RP recovery,where as the beta's had smooth and continues ramp up of RP.When I went to the stage 3 pump the RP on the tnt/r was more linear in ramp up and does not have the tremendous pressure drop and slow recovery,which inturn made the power that this tune has to offer.

I'm not saying one is better than the other,I'm just saying that depending on what tune you are running from BD or Smarty, the truck needs the right mods around it to work.To say a particular tune made from brand x is better than brand y is completely misleading.I think the only way to declare which is truely tops in hp is to test on trucks that have all there is to have on supporting mods,dual pumps,big twins,big injectors and see where the numbers end up.I would fully respect the numbers then regardless of which programmer came out on top.But for now I think the lesson learned is there are different tunes form different companies that may work better on your truck with the set up you have,nothing more,nothing less.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
OK Guys, this one got completely out of hand with people insulting each other and members that register here ONLY to Flame people. The forum rules are pretty specific about this kind of behavior and I had to ban one individual because of it.

Post information and discussion, leave the playground antics out of it or I will close this thread down.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I realize this isn't a democracy here, but there has been little of real informational value to the thread... a lot more of the playground antics as you put it. I vote to close it anyway...
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM

I totally agree with the final consensus. This isn't gonna get anywheres because ppl read things the wrong way when they're fired up. I'll stick to my guns, ya'll stick to ya'lls, whatever you pick should make you happy, not anger you because someone says their Smarty or their Bullydog is better.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Only people that dyno there truck knows the fueling pattern. No need to turn 4' cause most I have talked to or read there post. All the programmers fuel to bout 3200 and after that they really didn't gaon much.

This post has went 20 different ways since the begining. I agree for once on closeing it also. Cause this still hasn't solved anything but creating bunch of babies here in this post.

Larry I vote to close it also. I'm tires of seeing same post on every page of this thread
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM

^ Now you wouldn't know that now because the Smarty made your truck surge. Why would Marco release a 4krpm tune that wasn't intended to be turned to 4k? I never said it would affect peak horsepower, I believe I said that too in another post, but I still believe that it would affect track times.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM

wow.... this thread got good....

Quick Reply: smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!