3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck is eh sticks?? U u will buy me new ones! Shouldn't have to change sticks for it to run right!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Question for you all?

How come at Dog Days of Summer 2008 the top ten Dodge trucks all ran a Smarty?

ouch...it was painfull...lol.

BDDL made 60 hp on my truck back in the day...

Sure...once the TST was involved it worked...but by itself...nothing.

Tuning is tuning...and there are lots of ways to get there.

There is ONE for sure way.
I dont think anyone is going to say BD makes better power on the pre 04.5 trucks and it doesnt make as much on the pre mid 06 trucks.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Because a RESPONSIBLE vendor will not give you an upgrade he KNOWS will trash your engine because you do not have the necessary parts to support it.

The programs we are talking about here are so radical that without things like "upgraded valve springs", the pistons will slap the valves. If you are a vendor and you want to stay in business, you do not hand that out to people that you know can't use it.
so by this logic should Smarty, Edge, PPE, TST and BD not give us the hot tunes of 100+ hp since it can and will damage our stock tranny's not to mention the damage that could be caused while running these tunes do to excessive EGT's unchecked?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
No you can get them, but they control who they give them too when they are as radical as the one we speak of. Come on guys, this isn't rocket science...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 AM

well the way I see it is its BOB's choice who he gives it to and i have no issue with that he owns it developes it and reserves that right in IMO.

The excuse given though just does not hold water to me. thats all
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 AM

EH sticks are extrude honed...and don't work as well once they get bigger than 60-90 hp...timing issues, durability issues, mileage issues, surge...etc.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM

I thought that fluxes were eh also? Guys I talked to running large eh were fine on smarty and some not. I'm going flux 5 in april or may
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by RunninLean

The excuse given though just does not hold water to me. thats all
It wouldn't if you wish to believe there is some "conspiracy" at work here. They do control it and for the reasons I mentioned as well as others I don't doubt.

They have a reputation to uphold and obviously they choose to protect that reputation as any legitimate business would. Bully Dog showed the same restraint when they pulled the crazy Larry stuff from the market. It just plain makes sense for a Manufacturer to be careful in todays "sue happy" enviroment.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mudder500
I thought that fluxes were eh also? Guys I talked to running large eh were fine on smarty and some not. I'm going flux 5 in april or may
Flux injectors are EH'd after the EDM work is complete. This is to balance the flow on each hole.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Hijack. Don did you get a chance to look at the injector I sent you with hole in the top of it? Thanks Joel

Sorry guys
Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Thats for helping me understand Don!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
No you can get them, but they control who they give them too when they are as radical as the one we speak of. Come on guys, this isn't rocket science...
Lary, save your breath. For some reason, some people just don't get it. It just amazes me. If Marco came up with a new tune 2 months from now and didn't say anything to anyone, no one would know and know one could complain. If Marco mentions he has a new tune in 2 months and wont release it, some of these guys get pi**** off because they can't get it. Like that was part of the deal or something. Makes no sence. IT IS NOT YOUR TUNE dummy. You did not create it. You do not own it! You paid $700 dollars for it the way it was and at the time, you didn't know there would be more. You SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR ANY TUNE YOU ADD OR ANY FUTURE UPGRADES. You didn't put the HARD work into creating it. Bad analogy, but.. If I sold you a truck for $20k with a Common rail Cummins.... that is what you got. If 7 months later I said that I created a better diesel engine that had more power, longevity, mileage..... Do you think I should just give it to you? No, its mine. If I wanted to just give it away to whoever I wanted, I will... because its MINE. Think about it!!!! You paid for what you got, which is awesome.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

and exactly what program is loaded onto your smarty? did you pay for the other tunes you have? which are you the pot or the kettle?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Lary, save your breath. For some reason, some people just don't get it. It just amazes me. If Marco came up with a new tune 2 months from now and didn't say anything to anyone, no one would know and know one could complain. If Marco mentions he has a new tune in 2 months and wont release it, some of these guys get pi**** off because they can't get it. Like that was part of the deal or something. Makes no sence. IT IS NOT YOUR TUNE dummy. You did not create it. You do not own it! You paid $700 dollars for it the way it was and at the time, you didn't know there would be more. You SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR ANY TUNE YOU ADD OR ANY FUTURE UPGRADES. You didn't put the HARD work into creating it. Bad analogy, but.. If I sold you a truck for $20k with a Common rail Cummins.... that is what you got. If 7 months later I said that I created a better diesel engine that had more power, longevity, mileage..... Do you think I should just give it to you? No, its mine. If I wanted to just give it away to whoever I wanted, I will... because its MINE. Think about it!!!! You paid for what you got, which is awesome.
Like straight six posted the other 2 percent must not be important.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 PM

I have the same tune I had when I bought it almost 2 years ago. So, should I give you two the new and imporved diesel that I created?

Quick Reply: smarty vs. bullydog (and hopefully) vs ppe...real info FINALLY!!!