3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

smarty vs bullydog

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarty vs bullydog

I was all set on getting the smarty pod, but now I don't no. I had the power pup on my 03 and didn't have any problems. I now have a 05 6spd and was getting ready to order the smarty then read the comparison between the 2, plus the bullydog is alot cheaper.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What I would tell you is to do your own research on both. Try to filter out the cheerleading and naysayers from either side and determine the facts that most interest you. Try to be objective. Both are good products at the top of the game.

FWIW... I have been running the smarty for a couple of years now with excellent results and could not be happier. Smarty is much more than just a power tuner... and I like those benefits. Bully Dog has its own benefits too.

I am sure you will be happy either way you go.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 PM

you could read the 10 page on going war between the 2 units, and still be more confused then ever. what are you looking for out of your truck? i think thats a pretty good question to start with. i had the bully dog first, it was the very first programmer on my truck, then i tried all different ones, went back to the dog early last year, just the power pup, nothing special, it worked good both times. i bought a smarty as well, and i really can't say for sure which i like better. the bully dog seemed more aggressive then the smarty, but i know the smarty is working good. both cause me problems, the dog would throw a check engine light every once in a blue moon, and the smarty does too. actually the smarty, and i think its the one causing this, but my shift indicator lights that show what gear your in has gone out. if i take it to the tranny shop, and have work done, i remove all programmers from the truck, i get the truck back, and the indicator works, if i leave the smarty out for a couple days its still fine, but as soon as i load it, a couple key cycles later and i loose the indicator light.
everything else seem to work fine, so i really don't worry about it at this point.
i know this didn't help much, but both boxes work good, buy the one you can afford.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by coxy11
I was all set on getting the smarty pod, but now I don't no. I had the power pup on my 03 and didn't have any problems. I now have a 05 6spd and was getting ready to order the smarty then read the comparison between the 2, plus the bullydog is alot cheaper.
Wait until Brian(Torque Beast) posts his dyno results and you will see for yourself which one has more usable power on an 05 w/ safe rail pressure. It's a no brainer; plus Smarty's customer service is far above the competition(just as long as you don't get on the forums and talk a bunch of useless trash about the product like some live to do).
Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
O.T

In my 05 I run the Smarty and MP-8..works real well. Produces good power.
Never ran a BD
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
the ability for the smarty to be stealth when removed. no signature on the ECM
Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
O.T

Originally Posted by DODGETHEBULLET
Edited by Admin
Smarty on 2005 eats dogs for lunch
Attached Thumbnails smarty vs bullydog-boat-004.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 PM

wow...913 that's pretty impressive...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
O.T

not bad for a Smarty on 5 eh
Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM

I think it is all relative... from the way i see it EVERY TRUCK seems to be alittle different... my point being my buddies company ordered 8 brand spanking new identical 1 tons and you know what EVERY one of them felt different... some seemed quicker... and raced head to head all different.... so i bet if i loaded all ten trucks with the dog or the smarty hey guess what they arent all going to dyno the same.... maybe one better with the smarty maybe one better with the dog.... i have run the bully dog crazy larry for about 2 years.... totally love it... but on the other hand... my buddy brought home a brand spanking new smarty and i tested it out for the first time cause i brag about my bully dog... i love them both... i think my truck runs and feels better with the smarty... seat of the pants? i think the same just differnt feeling.... SO.... my final decision.... i think with stock turbo stock injectors both max out my truck the best it can... so since my bully dog is adjustable on the fly i am going to stick with it at this point... once i get some turbos to suck up that un used power (i.e. smoke) that BOTH provide.... then at that point i will switch to the smarty.... but i think they are 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other with stock turbos and stock sticks... just my 2cents
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by DODGETHEBULLET
Edited by Admin
I'm surprised that you are saying this since you were there. THe only tune that put down more power(than the TNTR alone) on Brian's truck was the PL and at 26,9XX RP(you can have that kind of RP) I was talking w/ him all that night and most of the day Sunday. Hopefully he'll chime in with SOME edit PROOF!!!!

"Yea go ahead and wait for when Brian post that the BDPL tune was stronger than the Smarty TNT/R tune even with the DR.P stack... Rail pressure was close too." Rail pressure was not close, even w/ the Dr P he could barely get 25000 psi, that PL tune added an edit of pressure!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BullyDog works great on 05s so I won't talk you down on it. But down the road you're just gonna have to try them both and make your own decision. The Smarty works better on my truck for sure, but that's just my truck.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:05 AM

this is just gonna turn into another mess.Buy what you can afford and what you think will serve ur trucks purposes.Good Luck
Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
From what I understand, the BD is not a bad programmer. I think that it comes down to personal preference...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Here we go again guys......This forum is for INFORMATION not trying to measure each others manhood by the name of the programmer you use.

I think EVERYONE should feel good about what they spend their hard earned money on and I know for a fact that there are tons of happy customers on both side of the fence.

Lets keep it friendly and informative or I will have no choice but to shut down this thread.

Quick Reply: smarty vs bullydog