3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty vs. Bully Dog on my truck....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Yeah, the running out of Diesel thing is not only a pain, but much worse for us Diesels than gassers.
Yep....

97 360,

You'll be happy with the GDP kit. It purrs. The only way you can tell if it is running is to look at the fuel gauge
Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
I have a FASS and hate it. I sold it to a friend just haven't taken it off my truck yet. My FASS is horribly loud and i RAN OUT of diesel when my gauge read 1/8 of a tank.

I ordered a GDP kit.
I am going to find out a way to take care of this problem. I will be if I run out of fuel...
Old 10-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT
I am going to find out a way to take care of this problem. I will be if I run out of fuel...
just put the fuel pick up tube in a different location...i'm sure you can figure it out....ya know everyting you own is "custom"
Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
just put the fuel pick up tube in a different location...i'm sure you can figure it out....ya know everyting you own is "custom"
You bet I can
Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Banned

Luken,
Do you think the fact that the BDCL don't boost fool an from my understanding an someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe the Smarty does could effect the amount of timing the ecm is giving you? Not sure if this is possible just thinking outloud but I do know that the Quad boost fooler helps alot for those only running the BDDL.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by XtremeFlow
Luken,
Do you think the fact that the BDCL don't boost fool an from my understanding an someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe the Smarty does could effect the amount of timing the ecm is giving you? Not sure if this is possible just thinking outloud but I do know that the Quad boost fooler helps alot for those only running the BDDL.
I have no idea... It would be awesome if Marco or Bob could get on here and answer some of these questions that we have...

I'm just looking for an answer to why the Smarty adds timing on settings that it's advertised not to.....It's not just my truck, I have talk to several members and I have alot of guys backing my assumption.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:11 AM

There is ALWAYS an indirect effect to timing when you raise the rail pressure and any given duration. Because the Smarty ramps the rail up real quick...to give that "KILLER" bottom and midrange that it has...you have increased timing so to speak without even directly controling the timing. The Smarty will not run your rail above the stock max...but it will get it there a lot quicker.

Anyone that stacks a TST with a Smarty NEEDS adjustible timing on their TST...PERIOD. It is the only way to dial in everything you need...to your specific truck...injectors...cp3...pressure box...etc!

You can't jsut slap it on and expect great results without the right tuning...

9x9 with the TST is 81 choices (well really only 1/2 of those are really the smart ones to be using)....add in the Smarty with the 3 or 4 software versions...and the 9 levels on both....and all of a sudden you have aroubnd 2000 possible combinations...then timing levels on the TST...could make that up to 6000!

Think about what you need for a while...eliminate as many "bad" combinations as possible...dial in enough pressure from your box to each possible setting to keep you rail up there...but not above 27,500 psi...and get out and DRIVE!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:56 PM

cquestad..Since your smarty seems to be dialed in fairly well, does the smarty throw many codes for you? like on a daily basis?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 PM

That is an understatement...

I have yet to set a code since the use of the Smarty. Before Smarty, I used to set a 0336 or whatever it is from time to time if I high idled cold at 1100-1200 rpms or lugged the crud out of it. NO MORE...

12k on the Smarty now...I think?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:11 PM

Man I cannot WAIT until my high idle is enabled. I am tired of turning the world white while it idles !
Old 10-31-2006, 02:22 PM

It already is...if the Smarty is on the truck. Hit cruz on...and use the accel button to bump it up to 1400 or so.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:22 PM

I talked to the owner of the Smarty that Im using. He just got a Smarty in the mail for his 06. It is other wise stock. He said he is getting 2 codes from his Smarty.

Just for kicks you can be driving my truck with the Smarty loaded, push the tst on 1x0, and as soon as you push the button the check engine light comes on and throws codes.

The Smarty will throw codes by itself on my truck but it has to be under WOT.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 AM

man, the smarty seems to act a lot differently from one truck 2 another......just stateing the obvious
Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by fjbiker86
man, the smarty seems to act a lot differently from one truck 2 another......just stateing the obvious
That is a weird deal too. I have seen trucks that it works great on as well. It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

One thing I really don't understand is the whole timing issue. All of the trucks react differently to the Smarty's timing. 8 out of 10 guys I talk to swear it adds a big amount of timing on even numbers.

I really don't see how it could not because wouldn't the EGTS get really hot without timing... Kind of like the Van Aiken Duration only box.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Banned

Hope Marco gets the issues figured out I ran a BD on my 04 but plans were to run TST w/timing an fuelpressure with Smarty on my 06. I have the TST,injectors, and twins sitting on shop floor waiting on trans so I can do some testing. Guess I'll wait before I order a Smarty might just throw a tripledog on it.

Quick Reply: Smarty vs. Bully Dog on my truck....