3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty vs. Bully Dog on my truck....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fjbiker86
you think running a new cam and the Crazy larry will put more horsepower at lower rpms? ...to make the bottom end equivilent to the smarty, cuz thats where the smarty seems to really shine is more hp at lower rpms.
I'll have one of Dons cams in soon so I'll try it.

To be real honest, I think my crazy larry version is stronger on the bottom end. I know for a fact its stronger on the top end. Both the bully dog and the Smarty just don't have enough top end IMO. It needs the tst thrown in the mix.

I did some more seat of the pants testing tonight after work...

with my crazy larry + tst on 7x5 from a roll I can put it to the floor and when it hits second it just smokes the tires off. TONS OF POWER as my dyno graph shows.

Smarty on 8 + tst on 2x1 is no comparison... From a roll, by the time the turbo gets spooled it won't turn the tires over.

The tst/buly dog stack comes on alot harder.

Another interesting thing I found. When I'm doing 45mph it is the sweet spot on my truck to blow smoke. Your in overdrive, laggy turbo, low rpms....
With the bully dog I can try to make smoke and it lasts for about 5 seconds and the turbo is spooled and it clears up - Im not talking foot on the floor.

With the Smarty I can give it even more throttle and the smoke will roll out for literallly ever. I honestly drove 3/10ths of a mile at 45 and never got over 60 and it was still smoking like a freight train. It takes forever to get the 66 spooled compared to the crazy larry.

As you can see in the pics in my gallery the tst/crazy larry puts off a ton of smoke. When the guy who owns this smarty told me it smokes worse than my truck I had a hard time believing it. It really does. The smoke is just totally insane.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 AM

thanks for the info ...im still stock right now but by the time a start to mod I want it done right if thats possible...
Old 10-30-2006, 08:16 AM

The very first box I ever put on the truck was a VA duration box, very smooth power but the egt rose faster than the tach since that box doesn't do any timing and that was with a stock turbo. I gotta wonder how the VA duration would work with the smarty. Anyone out there ever tried this combo?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 AM

Luken...it toom me a while to figure it out.

After one month of SOTP tuning...

For me with stock CP3 and injects...my SOTP pants settings...were confirmed best on the dyno.

Smarty...software #2...SW5...TST 03 Twins on 3-1 with 6% of auto timing over the top...and MP-8 on 50% yeilds my highest sustained rail pressure...never drops below 24,000...and finished the run at the speed limiter at 27,000 psi, clears up...had the most bottom end and dynoed the highest.

I was not able to beat my peak hp of past dyno's with the TST and the MP-8 alone, but I did make almost a 100 hp more at lower rpms. I am now very happy with the Smarty...and my understanding of it. There are so many variable to tune...but once it starts to click...and you monitor rail pressure, temp boost dyno and SOTP results....BAM you have it.

I have found the max output of the 04 CP3 and injects...it will not get better untill I get a stage II cp3 and injectors in the mix. I know what I want for X-mas.

I made 14 runs on the dyno with jstiegler on friday...and one experiemnt for kicks.

I ran 3rd gear out to see if I was still building power after 2900 rpms (where my truck hits 110 mph in 4th and defuels due to the speed limiter)....and it does big time.

I tried to let off at 3500 rpms...and I acutally rolled on to 3700...and was still gaining. If I had the speedo disabled...and ran the dyno again and got into the 3000's...I would have picke dup another 50 hp IMHO. I need a RAD (or a missing fuse) or Marco needs to get on this problem big time!

Now...whose 'stage II' am I gonna spring for! Small Flux 1's WILL be my injectors!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Luken...it toom me a while to figure it out.

After one month of SOTP tuning...

For me with stock CP3 and injects...my SOTP pants settings...were confirmed best on the dyno.

Smarty...software #2...SW5...TST 03 Twins on 3-1 with 6% of auto timing over the top...and MP-8 on 50% yeilds my highest sustained rail pressure...never drops below 24,000...and finished the run at the speed limiter at 27,000 psi, clears up...had the most bottom end and dynoed the highest.

I was not able to beat my peak hp of past dyno's with the TST and the MP-8 alone, but I did make almost a 100 hp more at lower rpms. I am now very happy with the Smarty...and my understanding of it. There are so many variable to tune...but once it starts to click...and you monitor rail pressure, temp boost dyno and SOTP results....BAM you have it.

I have found the max output of the 04 CP3 and injects...it will not get better untill I get a stage II cp3 and injectors in the mix. I know what I want for X-mas.

I made 14 runs on the dyno with jstiegler on friday...and one experiemnt for kicks.

I ran 3rd gear out to see if I was still building power after 2900 rpms (where my truck hits 110 mph in 4th and defuels due to the speed limiter)....and it does big time.

I tried to let off at 3500 rpms...and I acutally rolled on to 3700...and was still gaining. If I had the speedo disabled...and ran the dyno again and got into the 3000's...I would have picke dup another 50 hp IMHO. I need a RAD (or a missing fuse) or Marco needs to get on this problem big time!

Now...whose 'stage II' am I gonna spring for! Small Flux 1's WILL be my injectors!
Relentless has a new CP3 mod in the works. Might be something to wait for.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:51 AM

Personally I'm going with Floor Its stage 2 pump mod after the trucks that I have seen in action and Pourin Diesel's, lmills truck and others.

He and Don work alot together... Johns pump and Dons injectors is the way to go IMO! I'll soon know what it gains me
Old 10-30-2006, 02:58 PM

Especially the new version of the Stage 2. IT IS INCREDIBLE!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Especially the new version of the Stage 2. IT IS INCREDIBLE!
That's what I hear... I wonder what will be on my truck soon
Old 10-30-2006, 03:09 PM

I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I still cannot decide whether or not to switch my FASS out for the GDP. My truck is finally starting to idle normally so now the FASS is becoming the loudest part of the truck outside.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I still cannot decide whether or not to switch my FASS out for the GDP. My truck is finally starting to idle normally so now the FASS is becoming the loudest part of the truck outside.
Ya know the sayin... Don't replace what's not broke. BUT it's quieter and its better to replace it before it breaks just messin with ya It would be a good excuse to spends some $$$ You could always sell the FASS to get some cash back...
Old 10-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Luken
Ya know the sayin... Don't replace what's not broke. BUT it's quieter and its better to replace it before it breaks just messin with ya It would be a good excuse to spends some $$$ You could always sell the FASS to get some cash back...
Yeah, I even know someone who wants it. I just don't want to end up having some fuel problems that I would not have had with the FASS. Out of curiosity, how much sooner do you have to fill up with the GDP connected to the tank in a new and non-OEM location? I seem to run out around 40-50 miles left on the DTE reading after the needle is at or below "E".
Old 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM

With GDP's new flexable pickup tube my buddy in his 06 runs it down to 20 DTE. I have the original pickup and I can't go that far.

You won't have any problems with the GDP kit... I don't know of anyone who has.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 PM

I may just have to do it. It does get to be a little annoying when you have it idleing.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

I have a FASS and hate it. I sold it to a friend just haven't taken it off my truck yet. My FASS is horribly loud and i RAN OUT of diesel when my gauge read 1/8 of a tank.

I ordered a GDP kit.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
I have a FASS and hate it. I sold it to a friend just haven't taken it off my truck yet. My FASS is horribly loud and i RAN OUT of diesel when my gauge read 1/8 of a tank.

I ordered a GDP kit.
Yeah, the running out of Diesel thing is not only a pain, but much worse for us Diesels than gassers.

Quick Reply: Smarty vs. Bully Dog on my truck....