3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty vs. Bully Dog on my truck....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty vs. Bully Dog on my truck....

I didn't get to go to the track today but I put alot of miles on with the Smarty today...

Before I start - I have been running the Scarry Larry/tst stack for 15,000 miles. I blew the headgasket and everyone told me it was from too much timing. The weird thing is I have had numerous guys ride in my truck and there is NO sign of too much timing. No sounds, nothing. I just assumed that it was running extrememly high amounts of timing...

First trip - Downloaded 8. (no timing?) + tst 1x1 = Truck ran really smooth except a little timing rattle and it set 2 codes. I cleared the codes and tried it again. Same thing. Then the guy that was riding with me told me to turn the tst off. I put it on 0x0, No codes and NO timing rattle.

Next, Smarty-8 tst 2x2 - Serious timing rattle. Set codes like crazy.

Next, Smarty-9, tst OFF. Runs really smooth. I can't tell any difference in sound between the two.

Later on I tried...

Smarty - 7. With the tst on anything above 1x1 I get serious timing rattle, and codes.

I am in no way knocking the Smarty. I know it has worked great on other trucks. I have seen it in action. I'm just posting so maybe someone has the answer.

I am going to take the Smarty off and reload the bully dog program and see if I have any timing issues...

I have made several phone calls and about half of them agree that they get timing rattle with the Smarty on even numbers. Hopefully Bob or Marco can chime in.

Lucas

Also, The smoke is INSANE!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:15 PM

sounds scetchy, i get my truck back from the shop tomorrow and i will load my smarty and see what happens. i know i have an early cr so it may not do anything youss is doing but i will let you know if it does. does your tst have the adjustible timing option on it?
Old 10-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by emfc_22
does your tst have the adjustible timing option on it?
No it doesn't.

BUT, if the Smarty does NO timing on the even numbers like I'm told is shouldn't matter what tst you have.

The real kicker is how the Smarty/tst gets timing rattle on my truck but the INSANE Crazy larry program/tst doesn't...Kind of confusing

Let me know how your truck does!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Luken, quick question, what do you mean "timing rattle"?
are you getting like a gas car
'spark knock' where you can hear the rattling

within a very narrow set of conditions, my 04 just sputtered & made weird sounds out the exhaust with the DIY cranksensor & the BDDLPP on PERF.

mostly from a run to ~30mph, idle (coming down off ramp) and then WOT to merge onto highway, it would do it almost everytime. but from a WOT run from idle, it was fine

I called BD and they said that the Cranksensor & the BD together were putting too much timing in during those odd scenarios

hth?
Old 10-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

Luken

A TST box on #1 is full timing 13* I've found that the Smarty on 6 TST on 2/2 and MP8 turned up just a little bit works the best

The TST on 3/1 2/2 2/1 works fine.

My Smarty makes noise, but my friends Smarty on my truck on my truck makes no noise at all I don't know what is different between the 2 boxes.

CRIS
Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM

Timing rattle....

Hey LukeN,

Your timing rattle issues have been discussed in great length in this thread on TDR.. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=166984

The jist of it is this, if you get timing rattle they have a special version of the smarty software that works better with the TST handling the timing.

It was also discussed that the "no timing" program still has more timing in it than a stock program. Marco went thru and did some special changes for some guys over there running Smarty and the TST.

Seems like it was a success..? Maybe you could give it a try and report back!

thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luken
I didn't get to go to the track today but I put alot of miles on with the Smarty today...

Before I start - I have been running the Scarry Larry/tst stack for 15,000 miles. I blew the headgasket and everyone told me it was from too much timing. The weird thing is I have had numerous guys ride in my truck and there is NO sign of too much timing. No sounds, nothing. I just assumed that it was running extrememly high amounts of timing...

First trip - Downloaded 8. (no timing?) + tst 1x1 = Truck ran really smooth except a little timing rattle and it set 2 codes. I cleared the codes and tried it again. Same thing. Then the guy that was riding with me told me to turn the tst off. I put it on 0x0, No codes and NO timing rattle.

Next, Smarty-8 tst 2x2 - Serious timing rattle. Set codes like crazy.

Next, Smarty-9, tst OFF. Runs really smooth. I can't tell any difference in sound between the two.

Later on I tried...

Smarty - 7. With the tst on anything above 1x1 I get serious timing rattle, and codes.

I am in no way knocking the Smarty. I know it has worked great on other trucks. I have seen it in action. I'm just posting so maybe someone has the answer.

I am going to take the Smarty off and reload the bully dog program and see if I have any timing issues...

I have made several phone calls and about half of them agree that they get timing rattle with the Smarty on even numbers. Hopefully Bob or Marco can chime in.

Lucas

Also, The smoke is INSANE!
Seat of the pants dyno meter...which is better?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
Seat of the pants dyno meter...which is better?
It's too close to call. I'll have to get it on the track.

smarty only vs. bully dog only = close call

smarty/tst(with what I can use, pretty much 1x1) VS bully dog/tst7x5...... Seat of the pants I think the bullydog/tst wins that, but still I need to get some track times.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have tried BDTD w/CL(Low end power and torque management delete) and Smarty with TST and EZ triple stack. What I have found so far is that what my SOTP meter tells me does not necessarily match the dyno or the track, on either BDTD or Smarty.

On my configuration what really seems to be the main difference that I see so far is that the Smarty power and torque curves are flatter and longer than the BDTD. The Smarty also seems to fuel strong all the way through 3300rpms on mine where as the BDTD will start backing off the same as the normal ECM programming somewhere around 3000rpms. That fact seems to be what makes my Smarty produce better ETs at the track on fairly comparable stack settings.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 PM

I tried my Smarty on #9 and my TST on 5/4 and WHOLY SMOKE! The throttle response is like a N/A vehicle-NO LAG at all! I only got to drive it a little tonight but will definitely do some testing tomorrow!
Old 10-28-2006, 11:55 PM

I don't understand how you could run 9 and the tst on anything above 0x0.

My truck sounds like a time bomb going off....
Old 10-28-2006, 11:57 PM

My truck doesn't sound any different no matter what I do with the TST. ONly my MP-8 messes everything up because something is not connected correctly.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:59 PM

I think the Smarty acts COMPLETELY different on every truck.... Strange.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luken
I think the Smarty acts COMPLETELY different on every truck.... Strange.
Amen. This has been my concern all along with uninformed potential buyers surfing the forums!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
Amen. This has been my concern all along with uninformed potential buyers surfing the forums!
I've seen what the same Smarty does on another truck vs bully dog and the results are great. It's just weird how some things work better on some trucks vs the other....

Quick Reply: Smarty vs. Bully Dog on my truck....