3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Update Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smarty Update Question

When you download the Smarty Updater software (not the update itself), it saves as either an ".exe" or ".zip" file and then I run it and it says that a ".dll" file is not found. Am I not supposed to run the program until the Smarty is connected to my computer via USB? I am running XP and downloaded the appropriate version but I did NOT download the driver because it says "Not Recommended" on the website (not sure why). Any help would be appreciated because I was told that some of the new Smartys add timing even when they say they don't.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to download this driver 'CDM_2.00.00.zip' from Mads Electronics website.

MikeyB
Old 11-17-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
You need to download this driver 'CDM_2.00.00.zip' from Mads Electronics website.

MikeyB
Thanks I will give it a shot!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should download the driver CDM_2.00.00.zip package for XP and follow the instructions to install it. Then connect the Smarty with a USB cable. If you download the exe version of the updater then just double click it. If you download the zip version then you need to unzip it and then double click the exe.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:19 PM

I did that...

Then what do I do? I extracted the files and I still can't run the updater. it says "ftd2xx.dll not found"
Old 11-17-2006, 07:25 PM

Have the SMARTY hooked up the computer via USB cable and go to the XP Control Panel and click the Add Hardware icon. Doing this will have the Hardware Wizard search for new devices. Once a USB device is detected you will have point it to the correct folder where the .dll is located.
Once this is done and the USB device isn't banged out the SMARTY download software should be able to run.

MikeyB
Old 11-17-2006, 07:26 PM

I will give that a shot, thanks!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:39 PM

OK i have updated my smarty before and had no problems when i connected it to the usb, it was found everytime, i am trying to update it again and when i plug in the usb it doesnt pull up the new found hardware, how do i find it? i dont have an icon that says add hardware in my control panel only add or remove programs
Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you are good to go you dont need the found new hardware. that is only done once when the driver is first installed on your computer.

use the smarty usb program to load the software into the smarty
Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
you are good to go you dont need the found new hardware. that is only done once when the driver is first installed on your computer.

use the smarty usb program to load the software into the smarty
Hey Bob,

Any word from John on when those twin Floor-It pumps will be operational and ready for shipment ?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Ok, so I am trying to add updates to my smarty but it will not transfer info. It gives me the error message when I try to send info to the smarty. So I tried to find new hardware like what Mikey B was saying but I can not figure it out. Can somebody help please. thanks.

Pete
Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Pete,
Are you running XP? Did you download the USB driver for the SMARTY?
If you did unzip that file into a folder (or Desktop) so it's easy to find. Next plug in the SMARTY into one of the USB ports on the computer. After doing so (if using XP) the Hardware Wizard should pop up and ask to auto find the driver for the new device. Don't do it, find the new USB file (that you downloaded and unzipped )using the browse feature in the wizard and load.
Should detect the SMARTY after that. If it doesn't, let me know and we will go to plan B.

MikeyB
Old 04-26-2007, 05:22 PM

So exatcly which file will I unzip to get the drivers. Yes I am using xp but there is nothing when I unzip the folder except a cool smarty icon. I am completely lost, which does not happen alot, lol.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 PM

I think what alot of people might be having a problem with is not actually downloading the driver. I had the same problems everyone was having, but I didn't realize that the actual file that you download to load into the smarty, is a zipped file. the file extension is 7z. You need to download the 7zip extractor, and then right click on the file you want to upload. it will then extract the file into a folder of your choosing. from there you will see the file with an extension of .smt, for smarty file to upload. it will be big. around 30k. then just double click on your smarty icon, choose the file to send and your good to go. hope this helps out
Old 04-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VFIMechanic
So exatcly which file will I unzip to get the drivers. Yes I am using xp but there is nothing when I unzip the folder except a cool smarty icon. I am completely lost, which does not happen alot, lol.
Like MikeB said above, download the 'CDM_2.00.00.zip' from the www.madselectronics.com download section. Unzip it into a folder. Then plug in the Smarty, you should be prompted with new USB device found. If not you may already have the drivers loaded or you may need to manually run the new hardware wizard.

Does this help any or do you need more on how to manually run the new hardware wizard??

Quick Reply: Smarty Update Question