3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty update anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty doesn't add a lot of power, maybe 60 Hp. but you can dial in how hard the fuel comes on. Great for picking up the bottom end of TST. And odd # programs have very aggressive timing. I plan to take the timing out of the TST and use smartys.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by doug60
Smarty doesn't add a lot of power, maybe 60 Hp. but you can dial in how hard the fuel comes on. Great for picking up the bottom end of TST. And odd # programs have very aggressive timing. I plan to take the timing out of the TST and use smartys.
Thats funny- cuz thats what the 2nd gen guys are doing with their smarties too
Old 03-08-2006, 09:01 AM

I emailed them a month ago and never even got a canned response. I'm not sure I would spend all that money for 60hp on a 3rd gen. 60hp is so yesterday! FWIW the 60HP number seems to be for the 2nd gen guys. I have seen *nothing* about the 3rd gen version except that they are working on one, which leads me to believe they are pretty far out.

Andy
Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Banned

You don't buy a smarty for the power. You buy it for the fun. Even Marco will tell you that. If you've never driven a truck that has a smarty on there then you don't know what your missing. The low end power can only be matched by the almighty Zeus himself. Throttle response is swifter than Pegasus on crack. Turbo spoolup is VASTLY improved. Even my KSB-1 spooled noticeably faster. Normal driving without smarty would net 10psi of boost. Normal driving with smarty got me 20psi until I learned how to drive again. Not to mention that it removes all of the low end and high end defueling, scans/reads/erases codes, and corrects your speedo/odo for tire size. It also has a fuel saver mode which people have been noticing a 1-2mpg increase and a valet mode which cuts the power in half.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:44 AM

I think the 60hp limit on the 2nd gen's is expected. From an ECM standpoint, there is only so much fuel that the pump can and will deliver without going into limp mode or an engine fault code. Even when using the Cummins Cal-term software, you can only dial in so much fuel before you run into issues. The boxes that "tap the wire" bypass these limits.

I believe the 3rd gen's dont have the exact problem. He may be able to get more power (such as the BDDL) without codes/stumbles/faults etc..
Old 03-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
You don't buy a smarty for the power. You buy it for the fun.
Isn't power fun? ECM programming is smooooth nice power. The 3rd gens are capable of so much more than a 2nd gen through ECM programming...

Andy
Old 03-08-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We may be surprised at just how "little" power we get from Smarty. However, ditto to that is not the reason people buy it. Our torque curve will be tremendously improved. A tower's dream. How about a timing advance "fuel economy" program?….it's there. I want one just to eliminate TM for every day driving. All without having a box under the hood to break, wear out, connections erode, generally fall apart over the years. When race day comes, the BDDL will still go back in my rig for play time.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Why you all think this is going to be all that different than the BDDL or PPE programmers? Do you know something I don't? I would hope it does some things better than those two, but the 3rd gen will not respond the same as a 2nd gen to programming. Maybe I missed a post somewhere but so far it's vaporware.

Andy
Old 03-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by realsquash
I emailed them a month ago and never even got a canned response. I'm not sure I would spend all that money for 60hp on a 3rd gen. 60hp is so yesterday! FWIW the 60HP number seems to be for the 2nd gen guys. I have seen *nothing* about the 3rd gen version except that they are working on one, which leads me to believe they are pretty far out.

Andy

Why you all think this is going to be all that different than the BDDL or PPE programmers? Do you know something I don't? I would hope it does some things better than those two, but the 3rd gen will not respond the same as a 2nd gen to programming. Maybe I missed a post somewhere but so far it's vaporware.

Andy
Your dumb

Why dont you go and read through the thousands...yes that's right thousands of post's on the Mad ECM and Smarty downloader from Marco and see what's its all about.

What he did for the 2nd Gen's is amazing. This isnt just another downloader. What he did was crack the code in out ECM's and re write software. He make's 24V's fuel like a 12V. Instant throttle responce, little to no turbo lag, ect....

Us 3gen's have been waiting for close to 2 years for this product. What makes 60hp sooooo 2nd gen????? They have 130+hp boxes for them. 2nd gens hold the crown for all the records????

I really dont understand you, and I hope your just un-informed and not ignorant.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM

I've been reading the stuff on the mad ecm's since the day they first surfaced. Maybe he can apply his cracking skills to a 6.5 TD and get the same results, right? What he did for the 2nd gen was without a doubt awesome. But the same level of awe is not possible on a 3rd gen.

Andy
Old 03-09-2006, 06:18 PM

why not?????????????????????