3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Sw#5 And Still Cant Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
I'm telling you man, it's the TM system that's giving you problems. I posted this same thing around a year ago when I bought a Quad XZT and had trouble getting it to powerbrake. The "stall" feeling you get is from defueling due to the TM. They set it to defuel right before it wants to stall the converter and break the tires loose. You just need to trick the system a little and you'll have all the white smoke you can handle.

you mean the tm from the smarty or does the stock ecm have tm also? and if so is it only on the newer trucks?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM

i spoke w/ Dave Goerend today and boy let me tell you all something.....this guy has the best customer service i have ever had and im not even a customer yet

he spent about a half hour on the phone answering all my questions and concerns w/ out even seeming the least bit bothered and im sure he had his hands full while talking to me as well.

among other things, we discussed my powerbraking/burnout issue and basically it is either the tm doing its job or fluid slip in the tc or a combination of both. he feels that it would take alot more than what i have done to damage anything unless the fluid got way hot in which case he said i would smell it bad. he says the stock converters are "loose" from the factory and its a common occurance to slp them. he said a tighter converter would give me a different outcome. he also said the ecm will have the truck defuel as a result of the tm.

so jrussel and skynyrd, you both are most likely correct.

one thing i was surprised to hear was that my 48re is more beefier than i thought. it already has the hd clutches and bands from the factory. dave said it would be pointless to get a complete trans w/ mine only having 20k on it. i told him my plans for making around 600hp or so hopefully to run in the 12's at the track and he recomended a tc, vb, fp, shift lever packg and shift enhancer, and billet input shaft. he said an output may be a good idea but not to worry about the intermidiate because i wont have any problems w/ it. all this was after i told him i wanted a full trans. so this guy isnt just trying to sell me stuff i dont need which is also a big plus in my book. anyway my $8000 trans i was getting ready to order just turned into $4000

i will definately be doing buisness w/ dave in the near future for sure. and to everyone that has helped me out on this i really do appreciate it, thank you all.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 PM

my full billet built tranny from dusty at HTS was $6100 that is the full race version with all three shafts and a laminated fly wheel shipped and core return shippment. the output and intermediate is about $700 each and flywheel was about $400 or $500.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM

the 4k is for tc and fp, vb, lever pckg, enhancer, billet input and output. i was going to do a full trans and spend 8k but he said the 48re in my 06 already has the upgraded goodies in it and theres no need to rebuild it w/ 20k on the clock for my application.

im sure both companies do great work and probably use the same parts, i actually called hts first and they didnt answer the phone

dave was more than helpful so he will get my buissiness.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 PM

I guess it's luck of the draw. All I heard from my Ford buddies is "Dodge transmissions suck". I beat the **** out of my stocker while I was waiting for my DTT and I couldn't kill it. They were amazed. You better get two new rear tires as well. When you get that trans put in those burnouts will be so tempting.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghost Ram
you mean the tm from the smarty or does the stock ecm have tm also? and if so is it only on the newer trucks?
The TM from the ECM. It limits the amount of fuel injected based on a few parameters like RPM, speed, and boost. Those parameters have to reach a certain "setpoint" before the ECM will give full fuel.

The Smarty just offers programs with varying levels of TM. For example, the Smarty Mild TM has slightly less TM than stock. The Moderate TM has a little less TM than the Mild (and so on).

Not sure when they started using TM, but AFAIK all 3rd gens have it.

Regarding Dave, he told me the same thing. He said no need to go changing clutches and other internals for 500hp on a newer trans. He said the internals are actually good quality components. It's the weak TC and VB that cause them to get torn up so quick/easy.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM

one thing i was surprised to hear was that my 48re is more beefier than i thought. it already has the hd clutches and bands from the factory. dave said it would be pointless to get a complete trans w/ mine only having 20k on it. i told him my plans for making around 600hp or so hopefully to run in the 12's at the track and he recomended a tc, vb, fp, shift lever packg and shift enhancer, and billet input shaft. he said an output may be a good idea but not to worry about the intermidiate because i wont have any problems w/ it. all this was after i told him i wanted a full trans. so this guy isnt just trying to sell me stuff i dont need which is also a big plus in my book. anyway my $8000 trans i was getting ready to order just turned into $4000

---That's consistant with what i heard for my 06 and what i wanted to support (500hp), hence the parts in my sig....and yes, save for rear tires.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM

How do you pronounce Goerend anyways guys?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigdave
How do you pronounce Goerend anyways guys?
Not how I expected...

"Geerend" or "Gearend"
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Wouldn't have guessed that either. Thanks