3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Sw#5 And Still Cant Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and what exactly are you saying is slipping in it anyway? if its not locked the clutch isnt slipping so what is left to slip?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:20 PM

whats happening is that your basically doing a stall test the scarry thing is when i finish building a allison at work and install it we fill and stall them to heat ang set oil level you need to be carefull when we stall them its for 30 sec at wot in D then N at 1500 and ill get a HD 4000 to temp in about two minutes (its a huge mass of metal compaired to a 48re) you will roast your tranny if you keep stalling it like that but if your buying a full race trans quite soon its better to learn with this cheap version than a $5000 race tranny by the way ill make the sun disappear when i light the 35s
Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 PM

yeah, i just found out thats a bad thing. once it stalled i let out of it after a couple seconds.

i dont want anyone to get the wrong idea of me, im not out every weekend trying to do burnouts for the hell of it.

i have done or attempted to do 8 or so burnouts in the 20k miles i have owned the truck. thats right about 8 burnouts total. i have only succeeded about 3 or 4 times and believe me it will sit there and roast the tires.

i dont consider 8 burnouts to be tearing up or beating on my truck, and tires are expensive so id rather not waste them for show. if i had been able to do a burnout in the first place i probably wouldnt have done half as many as i have, but when i found my 40k$ cummins wouldnt do a burnout it peaked my interest to figure out why so i tried to practice a couple times and sometimes it worked, other times it didnt. so i figured it just might not have the power stock and gave up on it.

tonight just happens to be my b-day and i installed my new smarty today so on the way home from my wife taking me out to dinner i figured i would end the night w/ finaly being able to do a burnout w/ my new found smarty power.....well needless to say my night had a sad ending and now its even worse because im looking like a moron that cant even figure out how to do a burnout w/ an auto......oh well, what are you gonna do. i can build an all motor honda to run 11.60's all day long w/ 1.6 60's @ 120mph but i cant figure out how an auto trans works and worse i cant do a burnout w/ one. i knew i shoulda stuck w/ a 5 spd. at least then i guarantee i could do a burnout.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Wow! My friend Tony one time asked me to bring his truck around the shop to the front. His was a bone stock 05 CTD auto and when I got on the road, I stopped and lit up the tires. Once the turbo barely lit, the tires were instantly frying. I was impressed how a stock truck would melt those BFG all terrains. I make sure the keys are with me to my truck at all times, so he doesnt return the favor.

I think you have other issues if you couldnt even burn out with the Smarty.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Banned

It sounds like the truck is defueling from the TM. Once it defuels you need to start the whole process over for it to work. Try giving it less fuel and let it creep forward a little like you did. Be slower with the fuel and it should spin the tires just before it defuels.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM

sounds like the tc just isn't transfering the torque to the wheels it is losing it eff.
and the lock up doesn't engage until like 50-55 mph
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM

im not worried about it anymore.....i just had to vent last night after getting home

although i may try a few more at some point for practice before i get ahold of my goerend

after thinking about it, i dont see how a tc can slip when the clutch isnt locked up. theres nothing in it to slip. so either my trans was slipping, i was using too much brake, or maybee it is the tq manag. defueling....who knows

and if the trans was slipping it couldnt have been slipping too bad because at 2500 it "stalled" and wouldnt rev any higher. oh well, im not worried about it remember
Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Its not hard at all. Hold the brake and press the gas to the floor and hold it for a second or two to let the turbo spool, let off the brake and it will take a split second and they will break loose like no other, get back on the brake = nasty burnout. Or you can do as i explained above and not get back on the brake and will still smoke them down. Is it good for the transmission? No but it will handle it....Alot of it.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM

well the clutches aren't slipping in those gears when your doing a burnout but you are creating whats called fluid slip which in the end can tear up the turbine or the stator. this is what can cause reduced eff. of the torque converter it also causes the fluid to break down much faster due to production of alot of heat.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by skynyrd
well the clutches aren't slipping in those gears when your doing a burnout but you are creating whats called fluid slip which in the end can tear up the turbine or the stator. this is what can cause reduced eff. of the torque converter it also causes the fluid to break down much faster due to production of alot of heat.

that would explain what im experiencing, but would it still stall at 2500rpm it it were slipping?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 PM

yeah it would still stall at 2500rpm. thing is the pump moves the fluid while your power braking it but the turbine is being held still by the traction and brakes this can cause the fins of the turbine and pump to be bent and or worn down. how fast this happens depends on the metal used to build the torque converter pump and turbine. this causes efficiency losses in the fluid transfer of torque and power.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:45 PM

makes me wonder. I am stock except for a smarty on level 5. at 20 mph it needs a quick stab to 3/4 throttle and the tires are spinning like crazy. are all truck's the same? as in do they respond equally to a given mod?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 PM

I ran my truck (06) on #1 with mild TM and my trans would slip without any effort from a stop. I dumped the mild TM and run stock TM and my truck will lay down rubber like no tomorrow. As well as when I merge on the highway I am not slipping the trans at all compared to the mild TM. My truck is literally faster with the stock TM . I think your problem might be the mild TM is too aggressive for your stock 48Re you are either slipping the heck out of the TC and or causing the ECM to defuel because of it. Try the stock TM and see if that helps.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM

thanks, i may give that one a try. only thing is i had the same problem before the smarty.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghost Ram
thanks, i may give that one a try. only thing is i had the same problem before the smarty.
I'm telling you man, it's the TM system that's giving you problems. I posted this same thing around a year ago when I bought a Quad XZT and had trouble getting it to powerbrake. The "stall" feeling you get is from defueling due to the TM. They set it to defuel right before it wants to stall the converter and break the tires loose. You just need to trick the system a little and you'll have all the white smoke you can handle.

Quick Reply: Smarty Sw#5 And Still Cant Burnout