3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Sw#5 And Still Cant Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Sw#5 And Still Cant Burnout

i havent had the best luck w/ doing burnouts. when the truck was stock it was hit and miss. sometimes i could smoke the tires off and other times i couldnt get them spinning. not that i constantly dog my truck or anything but on occasion i would like to smoke the tires a little.....

so after adding the smarty on sw5 i thought it would be a piece of cake, well i was wrong, couldnt even get them to budge. what am i doing wrong????

trans in "D", tow/haul off, hold brake, slowly rev it up (takes close to 2500rpm to see 10psi boost), tap brake.....no spin, nothing. try again and still nothing let up a little on the brake and the truck creeps forward, start to brake again and it stops still w/ no spin. i figure w/ the smarty it cant be a power issue even w/ 33's so its gotta be me or could it be my trans?

while im sitting on the brake spooling the turbo is the trans or tc slipping or what exactly is happening? in not familiar at all w/ autos. also i have noticed the engine wont rev past 2500 w/ me on the brake, is that where the tc locks and then it starts lugging the engine and slipping or what exactly is happening? also how bad is it to sit on the brake and rev it up to spool the turbo, what exactly is happening inside the trans at that point?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Keep it up and you'll be needing that tranny sooner than you might wish.

Level 5 in my truck will roast them without using the brakes.
Get your tranny done and try again
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 PM

What tq mgmt are you running? Stock? Mild? could have something to do with it...that or your trans is slipping....
Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM

I got the same thing,half spin then nothing,I don't spin them often but everytime I want to nothing. #1 on gear selector,SW#9 no matter what I do to the brakes,nothing. It must be a 2006 thing.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 PM

im running mild tq mang. im not too worried about the trans because i will have a built goerend soon but can someone explain what exactly is going on inside the trans? does the tc stay locked all the time in 1st or does it lock at a certain rpm, mph or what? is it locked while starting a burnout? i dont feel the tc slipping, the truck doesnt shudder or shake or make any odd noises. it just luggs down the engine, i can hold the throttle to the floor and it wont rev past 2500 while im on the brake. if i let off the brake all together it will spin them good while rolling out of it, but i want to do a standing burnout and they just wont start spinning w/ any amount of brake pressure. maybee i just have great brakes or a weak engine or maybee i dont have a clue what im doing

if the tc isnt locked then what exactly is happening? is it just circulating fluid and not doing any harm....as you can see i havent a clue how auto trans work. if the tc is locked then it would be slipping the clutches in the trans correct? sorry im clueless, can someone please explain for me. i have always had stickshifts my entire life, i just dont understand these autos
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM

here is a clinic for ya

I have been able smoke my tires with the stock wheels and a set of 35's with ease and on stock programming.

What I do is hold the brake and rev the engine up to around 1500 and then let off the brake and quickly get back on the brake. This causes the truck to lunge forward and momentarily transfer much of the weight off from the rear end and apply it to the front end. This quick transfer of weight will allow the tires to start spinning and allow the boost to build and then LOOK OUT huge clouds of smoke. Now with my Smarty Jr on the 70hp setting I can just mash it to the floor with no brake it it will spin the tires nicely. Every time I have done this the trans temp has never moved and the trans shifts as good as the day I bought it, I really do not do it that much anyway.

Remember the harder you push on the brake the harder it will be. The key is light brake with a quick blip of the pedal and she should spin easily.

Good luck.

-Seeder
Old 01-23-2008, 10:07 PM

^^^^^^^I would also like to know,my transmission does not feel like its slipping either
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM

thats what i do, sometimes it works and most times it doesnt. maybee i just wasnt meant to drive an auto
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM

here is a link for the explanation of how the TC works
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
What tq mgmt are you running? Stock? Mild? could have something to do with it...that or your trans is slipping....
if your running on mild then its hard to do burnouts.......
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 PM

Very good INFO
Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by skynyrd
here is a link for the explanation of how the TC works
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
thanks for the link. i actually learned a good bit from that, i guess its a starting point to learn about autos. it didnt explain too much about the lock up feature though, only that the clutch locks up when both tc halfs are spinning about the same speed. so does it lock up when im reving up to 2500rpm's trying to do a burnout? or would the ecm trigger it to lock at a given mph instead? if its not locked then it would just be slipping against the fluid correct? in which case it shouldnt damage the tc or am i not understanding it correctly?

straight_six, is the mild tq management worse than stock for doing burnouts? and why is it hard to do burnouts w/ mild?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by smartyrules8563

that is great info, now i feel like im really learning.....for instance, i just learned that i found my "true stall speed" is about 2500rpm. and i also learned that is a VERY BAD thing to find out while trying to do a burnout

so they are saying the ecm tells the tc to lock at a given mph. so its unlocked while trying to start a burnout and since thats the case its not slipping correct? so im thinking i either have too much braking force or too much traction thats keeping my wheels from breaking loose

the 06's wouldnt by chance have larger brakes would they
Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 PM

your tourqe converter's slipping so much it wont engage,,,,and reving up the engine to build boost for sound i take its a bad deal,,,you shouldnt do that without mods to your tranny,,,try this,,,do a roll on from about 50 and mat it and see how long it takes for your truck to actually move and pay attention to your rpm guage,,,if it drops and gear of course your rpm guage will rise but if you hit a gear and your rpm suddenly rises,,,and then falls back when you have it matted,,,that means your slipping,,
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by pipeliner04
your tourqe converter's slipping so much it wont engage,,,,and reving up the engine to build boost for sound i take its a bad deal,,,you shouldnt do that without mods to your tranny,,,try this,,,do a roll on from about 50 and mat it and see how long it takes for your truck to actually move and pay attention to your rpm guage,,,if it drops and gear of course your rpm guage will rise but if you hit a gear and your rpm suddenly rises,,,and then falls back when you have it matted,,,that means your slipping,,

im not building boost for sound i was told to try to get close to 10psi before taping the brake to burnout. when i hit it from a roll on the hwy it downshifts and cant decide what gear it wants to be in. but if i wait until its at about 65 and stomp on it so it doesnt downshift, it DOESNT rev up then drop down and start climbing, i know that would be slippage. same feeling w/ a clutch slipping correct?

Quick Reply: Smarty Sw#5 And Still Cant Burnout