3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty stacked with a TS MP8

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty stacked with a TS MP8

hate to write more on this subject but i still can't get everything to work right for me.

Smarty is pretty good for me running level 7 but its too slow...on level 9 tranny gear hunts and all that non-fun stuff. Crazy Larry was much faster!!! i could lay into it anywhere below 20 and could atleast bark the tires.....with the smarty i can't get them to spin unless i power brake to get it started.

anyhow...since the Smarty doesn't do pressure i picked up a TS MP8 hoping to get some more kick in the pants....

well hooked up the MP8 up tonight (thanks boarbuster)...without the MP8 turned on at all it smokes like a freight train. keep in mind this is with the Smarty on 7. Turned it up to about 50% and it has little better pull but TONS of smoke. now heres the scary part.....just like what i have experienced twice before WITH the smarty, the truck took off on its own again after letting off the throttle....did it 3 times tonight.

Took the Smarty off....and everything works fine...i played with different MP8 settings...all is good. sorry guys but thats not what i want to drive around everyday. thats 5 times now that the truck has taken off on its own with the Smarty....on smarty settings 5, 7, and 9.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think after seeing the number of times that has happened to you I would start looking at other things that could cause the problem. I don't exactly know what they could be, but things like TPS, etc.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

i drove around all day once STOCK and it wouldn't do it. won't do it with the TS MP8 so far....i'd like to agree with you john but i'm afraid i can't.

but i will look into it....any other suggestions...let me know.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 PM

Can you get the tires to spin now with staking the mp8 with out power braking. Trying to decide smarty or bullydog. Took off my edge
Old 10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Merritt
Can you get the tires to spin now with staking the mp8 with out power braking. Trying to decide smarty or bullydog. Took off my edge
i can pick for you...Bullydog. Smartys aren't available for the 06 yet.

and no i can't spin them with the TS MP8 either.

Lots of guys here love the smarty i just can't get it to work for me for some reason.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

Between the smarty and mp8 and stock turbo you are drowning the engine out in fuel. That's where all of the smoke comes from. The smarty throws in a TON of fuel down low and the MP8 adds a ton of pressure and fuel and those combined with an anemic at best turbo makes for nothing more than a smokey ride. That's probably why you can't spin the tires either is because you are dumping so much fuel in so fast that your starting to put the fire out and choking the engine down. I read on here somewhere where somebody was actually over fueling the engine and once he backed the fuel down he picked up a ton of power and driveability.

As far as the run on goes, have you tried talking to Bob Wagner about it? He's a real nice guy to talk to and would be more than willing to help you out I'm sure.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Between the smarty and mp8 and stock turbo you are drowning the engine out in fuel. That's where all of the smoke comes from. The smarty throws in a TON of fuel down low and the MP8 adds a ton of pressure and fuel and those combined with an anemic at best turbo makes for nothing more than a smokey ride. That's probably why you can't spin the tires either is because you are dumping so much fuel in so fast that your starting to put the fire out and choking the engine down. I read on here somewhere where somebody was actually over fueling the engine and once he backed the fuel down he picked up a ton of power and driveability.

As far as the run on goes, have you tried talking to Bob Wagner about it? He's a real nice guy to talk to and would be more than willing to help you out I'm sure.
I can see where you are going with that tyler....and it does seem to have more pep on 130 than on 170....but when its down that low its pointless for me to have a smarty. heck i drove it on 90 over the weekend and it wouldn't stumble then...meaning it wouldn't bog down in black smoke....but it wasn't that fast then either. Maybe the reason it takes off on its own is because of all the fuel in there...it doesn't get burned off completely so it burns even after i let off the throttle but only momentarily.

hmmmm.....can anyone rationalize my thinking?

so maybe the smarty just isn't very good for people at my power level (stock turbo)?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

After reading that I'm willing to put money on you quenching the flame. Of course it won't be quicker on 90 than 130 dummy. What we've all gotta remember is that while a turbo isn't as cool of a power adder as a chip it is a very vital one in making the most out of the fuel that we have. Why do you think I went ahead and bought a KSB-1 with just a comp and 275 injectors? I knew I would need the air to maximize the potential of it and to keep the egt's in check. I don't even wanna know what your EGT's are like.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

After reading that I'm willing to put money on you quenching the flame. Of course it won't be quicker on 90 than 130 dummy. What we've all gotta remember is that while a turbo isn't as cool of a power adder as a chip it is a very vital one in making the most out of the fuel that we have. Why do you think I went ahead and bought a KSB-1 with just a comp and 275 injectors? I knew I would need the air to maximize the potential of it and to keep the egt's in check. I don't even wanna know what your EGT's are like.
90 is slower than 130..i know that...but at the 90 level is when it doesn't bog down in smoke..130 is a smoke cloud. My point there was even when its turned down enough so that it doesn't "quench the flame"....its too SLOW to be worth $695. so was the smarty just not to be used with a stock turbo?

also notice i swear 130 is just as fast as 170.

My EGT's aren't bad at all. STOCK i can hit 1300* and thats the highest i hit tonight too.

CRAZY LARRY I WANT YOU BACK!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

IIRC, when the 3G smarty came out bob wagner stated that it wasn't to be used with the stock turbo. NOW, with that being said. I know of at least one guy running the 3G smarty on the 90hp with timing setting on the stock turbo with no issues but he never goes over about 1/4 throttle. Welcome to tuning. It's a son of a gun ain't it?

1300* huh? Either your putting the fire out so much that it can't get hot or your probe is bad.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

IIRC, when the 3G smarty came out bob wagner stated that it wasn't to be used with the stock turbo. NOW, with that being said. I know of at least one guy running the 3G smarty on the 90hp with timing setting on the stock turbo with no issues but he never goes over about 1/4 throttle. Welcome to tuning. It's a son of a gun ain't it?

1300* huh? Either your putting the fire out so much that it can't get hot or your probe is bad.
WOW bob nor Marco has told me it wasn't to be used with a stock turbo. That explains a lot now.

Yea Robert loves the Smarty on his....i've talked to him briefly about it.

Probe issue is possible. I will never buy autometer again. I'll have you look at my EGT gauge with me thursday if you can make it out to "the roof".
Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Banned

Depends on how many of these blasted floods I get finished up and how hungover I am from the wed meet. You gonna make it to that one? As of now we're coming back to my place for the after party.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

Depends on how many of these blasted floods I get finished up and how hungover I am from the wed meet. You gonna make it to that one? As of now we're coming back to my place for the after party.
i might make it out....me and "boarbuster" hope to be installing my 6" Bull Hauler.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Sweet. We meet at the Sam's parking lot now cause of some stuff that went down over at kroger's.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 973604x4
Yea Robert loves the Smarty on his....i've talked to him briefly about it.

Yep, im very happy with it. I want to upgrade my fuel system and trans soon. Those are what concern me more than the turbo. But im sure it will need to be upgraded too.

So far I haven't done much standing start hard accelerating. Mine has mostly been on the highway after I have some of the mass already moving a little. It will definately lay you back in the seat and lay a little smoke now.

I am considering dynoing this coming weekend too, out of curiosity.

Phil, you may as well come on down and join everybody at Tyler's place and Baytown. You can do the bull haulers later.

Tyler are you coming to DI Friday?

Quick Reply: Smarty stacked with a TS MP8