3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty / SPS62 towing issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty sure the big nasty is correct, just trying to find the cure for that. Thinking of the factory turbo because it does run cooler than the big one, if I go back to the stock smarty program. I would see lower egt's and lower boost with that setup, go figure.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Why are you stacked on a stock turbo/trans? I bet your truck is toast in 10k.
I realize this is a little overkill, but I am doing thing as I can afford in steps. I don't run this thing wide open all the time and I rarely tow more than a motorcycle/atv trailer. The reason I have the TST is that I wanted boost fooling to try to help cool the EGT, and rather than spend the $75 for just a boost fooler, I knew someday I wanted more so I went with the TST now for the boost fooling with adjustable max boost, egt adjustable max cutoff, rail pressure gauge and ability to increase rail pressure, cooldown timer, and the other gauges are a nice addition (even though I already have pillar gauges). So I feel the TST is a nice purchase....even if you aren't going to run it full out.

I don't want to get crazy with this truck, I would like it in the low 13's if possible. And I realize I MUST do the trans, and I MUST do a bigger single or twins, and I MUST improve the fuel transfer.......I went through all this on my 01. I am starting over with this truck.

Actually I haven't had any problems with the tranny wandering for shift, wanting to slip, or overheat. The main problem I have is the EGT. Sounds like this "third event" could be part of the problem. Does anyone know how to get rid of it??
Old 02-08-2007, 11:41 AM

Hi gang,
maybe it's off topic... for those with the high EGT's.
Are you sure the EGT gauges are accurate?

Let me expand on this. The grounding system in the 06's is way different from the previous years.

Where do you get the ground for the EGT gauge from?

In a first moment, I took the ground from under the dash in our test mule. Ground is like mommy there's only one, right? At least that's what I had been teached at school... Wrong! Takeing the ground from under the dash ( even worse from the lights ) the EGT gauge would sky rocket! Providing ground to the gauge from the engine bay solved the problem!

Maybe I'm off but it's worth a thought.

Marco
Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

my .02...

I'm also seeing very high egt's with the smarty. I keep my TST off on all levels when running the smarty but, if I dare put the TST on P-2, nothing else and I can hit 1650F in a heart beat.

I am running on a stock turbo with mods in my sig. On levels 3 or 5 ( and BTW, I'm at 4500ft. ) while traveling up a decent incline my egt's average 1350 to 1500F & more That's not towing anything. Of course I don't hold it at those temps but, it seems a bit high for just driving up a hill. Other than that... just driving around town egt's aren't too bad.

I was thinking by add a turbo along with my mods would help this. After reading that a SPS62 was used, I wonder now as I was going with a 66.

Marco, I have a analog gauge and the TST monitor, both read very close to the same temps. Both are connect at two different locations. I'm pretty sure my gauge and the TST are correct.

I'm running the mild SW for the 07. Can I assume that if I were to change to the moderate or even wild the egt's would be even more out of control?

Maybe it is the 06/07 model that causes the issue... I don't see how I can open my exhaust up anymore than I have though without adding a turbo.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:25 PM

So do I ground to the battery or right to the engine?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM

I WAS wanting this turbo, but maybe not now. There's a guy on another thread with a 2nd gen that's having problems with his too. What other options are there without going to a 64 or bigger?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

On the 06 trucks they changed the Exhaust valve clearance setting to .026 the previous trucks ran at .020

The change was made to make more heat for the cat.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
t-boe, you will probably want to research this for yourself, but in my perfect turbo search it seems that the 64s are not that good of a choice for the 3rd gen guys but do well on 2nd gens.

It seems that if you are gonna step up from a 62 or equivalant, you may as well go ahead and step up to a 66 or equivalant.

This is just 2nd hadn info and I could be wrong but think about it, how many 64s do you see on 3rd gens? I wonder if it is conincidence or not?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Makes sense. I would just like to stay in the 62 size. For what I want the 66 would be way to big. Would HTT be any different? Or ATS?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
wap

Htt and II for the most part are based off of S300 turbos and while I am sure there are some differances, for all practicallity except for the silver series from II, HTT has an almost identical turbo to II in some form. But this is just my speculation.

I have talked with ats twice in the last two days and it is hard for me to make heads or tails of anything they have. Dont get me wrong they recomend a turbo for me but when compareing their turbos to most others it is kinda like apples to oranges. But I blame this on my turbo ignorance.

I understand that as the number of the ATS turbos goes up so does the air flow and that the spoolup is slower, however I dont know how much larger the turbos get from 2000-3000-4000-5000.

So basically what it all boils down to is I know just enough to confuse myself and anybody that is listening and what you should do is call, Paul at HTT, Shane at II, and call somebody at ATS and all the other turbo manufacterers out there.

FWIW, it seems to me if you want a 62 class turbo form ATS the 3000 may be your best bet but I would definatley ask them, dont take my word for it.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:18 PM

I actually called ATS today. I asked about the MST and some tranny parts. I'd like the MST if it doesn't cost the same as a twins setup, they said it wouldn't, we'll see. Of course they said it won't be out for about 2 months. I did however, ask if I could beta test the MST since I'm right here in Cheyenne, WY. He said he'd talk to the owner and have him call me. I doubt anything will come of it, but that would be awesome.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tritont
my .02...

Marco, I have a analog gauge and the TST monitor, both read very close to the same temps. Both are connect at two different locations. I'm pretty sure my gauge and the TST are correct.
Same here. Actually when I installed the TST, I removed my analog EGT gauge probe, and put the TST probe in, and it reads the same. To my knowledge the only ground with the TST is at the battery.........Any other suggestions??
Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 PM

I have notice that there is no cat delete in ggades sig. Could the cat be at fault? I know it's pretty restrictive.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:18 PM
wap

Unless it is clogged up there should be no problem. Some claim a 50* reduction, but I dont know if it would even help that much.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 PM

The cat is still on. Was thinking about cutting it off to put a pipe in place just to measure temps but I really don't want to mess with it. Looking at the front of the cat it appears to have been very warm, has that nice blue color. Anyone have a cat laying around doing nothing? Would two cats side by side run too cool to work? As for the different valve clearance, is the cam a different grind or is the increase in clearance the easy way to change the valve timing. Or do they know there is going to be more heat and need more clearance to deal with valves that may grow more than before?

Quick Reply: Smarty / SPS62 towing issues