3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty and SPS 62/14 codes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty and SPS 62/14 codes?

I have had code 0299 Turbo Charger Underboost code pop up 2x now. First time I cleared it and drove it for a day with no problems. Second time it just came back out of nowhere. What is the deal and how do I fix it. When this code pops up it puts the truck in a limp mode until I clear the code, then it goes back to normal.
I am running the aftermarket turbo, mild tq managment #3 and will hit 35 psi max boost.
Suggestions?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you are lucky you own a smarty or you would be screwed. call your turbo vendor and ask for a fix

P0299 is a low boost code caused BY your turbo
Old 05-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Please elaborate! Lucky because I own the smarty, and if I didnt how would this be different? The turbo reaches 35psi and stays there while WOT so how is this low boost?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

Jeephauler, its not the Smarty its the turbo. You should be able to make over 40 psi if the boost controller, waste gate, etc is working. Did you get the resistor for the OEM boost controller? Is it plugged in and seated good in the connector?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Yes I received the jumped plug and connected snapped it into place. I never said it was the smarty, I just wanted to list exactly what I was running so that I could get some reccomondations. I guess I will be contacting II about the turbo today, hope I dont have to take this **** thing off, what a PITA!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back from Moab and had the same problem. Once on the way down and once on the way back. Has not happened again for two weeks. But I did call HTT and they more less blamed it on the Smarty and told to try a different software version. I did and it hasn't happened again yet. But it does suck when your pulling double trailers and you never know when your truck is going to go into limp mode. But still have no reason why it done this. Someone please help us.

Bill
Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM

Wimpy. did everett at htt say that? I will call him. he is full of crap

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Not sure who it was, but I am right here in utah. If I need I will call him again should I talk to everett? Do you have any idea whats causing this because there is no electronics on the wastegate so I dont understand the low boost code when its mechanical. Just searching because I'm lost right now. Thanks for everybodys help.

Bill
Old 05-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Anything more on this. They just reappeared again this evening and I am beginning to get really annoyed having to pull over and shut down so I can clear the codes and wait until they decide to pop up again out of nowhere!!!!
I have the most recent Smary program so I cant upgrade that at all.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:36 PM

My 62-14 with the Smarty makes 45 pounds of boost..
Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM

I am making 54 psi of boost no problems!!

Sounds like it could be your map sensor, or connections!!!!! The map sensor reads boost, and if only for a brief moment the ecm (with smarty or not) reads no signal or a very low signal, then it will throw a code!!! First I would try greasing the map sensor connections.....next would be a new sensor IMO
Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM

jeephauler has the P0299 Low boost code caused by the aftermarket tubo...
Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 AM

Before anyone gets carried away I will say that this code is a result of using larger than stock aftermarket turbos.
Or that this code only shows up when the larger turbos are used.
This does not mean there is something wrong with the turbo as some may to try to say. Its just a fact of life once you change to an aftermarket charger. The engine is setup to run a stock unit and when its sensors dont see exactly what it likes the ecm kind of freaks out.

I used to get this with my 66 turbo that I had many moons ago on my 04.5.

It wasnt really a big issue or anything to worry about but I did keep my bullydog programmer at the time with me in case I had it pop up.
Funny thing is I had the code pop up on the same part of the interstate the same day. There happend to be some hills around.

As far as I could figure out there was no magic fix for this issue. I will say though after I changed turbos I havent had it pop up again.

The little solenoid slug will not fix the issue, plugging in the stock turbo solenoid will not fix the issue. The issue is not the map sensors fault either. I also had a "boost fooling" box so that corner was covered and my stock solenoid for the stock turbo was plugged in (as is still is today).
I could also hit 50psi without issue....so boost was being achieved just fine.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 AM

Is there any update on this problem and a possible solution. I would think that it is something that the Smarty programming could eliminate? I am considering getting rid of the Smarty for another programmer that will not be tripping my truck "CONSTANTLY", pulling over and resetting all the time is very old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

i am running the same turbo and smarty as you. never had underboost. i run 47psi.
what is the max boost level you see? have you adjusted the boost elbow or wastegate turnbuckle? they are set around 40psi from II, but it may be set too low.

Quick Reply: Smarty and SPS 62/14 codes?